Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Hassled a bit at Food Lion in Charlotte, my first OC experience to boot.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    Went out to get a bag of food at Fodo Lion this evening on Eastway (near Central av.) in Charlotte this evening, neatly dressed with my stainless .357 6 in revolver on my hip. This was the first time I was meeting the world as an open carrier so I was a bit nervous as I am sure we all were that first time. BUt Iwalked into the store and straight to the dog food aisle, got a bag of food for Fido and stepped back into the main flyway to go to the register. I was no sooner met by the manager and armed security guard who asked me if I was law enforcement. I said "No.". The manager then said I could not bring the gun into the store. I said that thsi was an open carry state. He said he knew that, but guns were not allowed in the store. I said okay, and that I would not come back with it, but would it be okay if I paid for the dog food before I left? He said yes. I then walked to the register where I was completely left alone by the manager and guard and was treated nicely by the register girl. I left without any further incident.

    I was emberassed by this, frankly. I put my need (especially in Charlotte) to defend myself first, and my desire to not be singled out second. I looked on the door when I walked in and saw nothing whatsoever about being able to carry firearms either concealed or otherwise, which I would have respected had any such sign been there. There is nothing illegal about being asked to not carry in the store, that's true. But it would have been less embarassing had they posted a sign to that effect.

    I am new to this so I am sure this is not going to be the first time this happens, but all things considered, it all worked out well. I am going to write a letter to Food Lion asking them to post the proper signage on all their doors.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    I would have dropped the dog food where I was standing, and said "If you don't want me to carry my gun then you don't want my business." and walked out. You can get dog food anywhere.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    I appreciate the comment, and yes that was an option which I would have had no problem executing since putting my foto down is not something I'm, shy about. But in the larger scheme of things, I'm probably goig to get a groveling apology from the upper management, that manager of the store is going to hear about this in some manner, and I suggested in my letter that if they did allow open carry, I would tell everyone here and they would be rewarded with a die-hard customer base of open carriers throughout NC who would no doubt go out of their way to shop there instead of any other grocery store.

    I could have told them were to stick it but we'll see where I get with honey this time rather than vinegar. I also have to consider that they're the cheapest grocery store around and one of only two groceries in my area, the others being miles out of my way. I think the idea of boycotting a store who refuses me entry and then writing a nasty letter to corporate will come in handy in the future and get the policy changed and individual store management chastized.

    Come to think of it. I've always been a fan of the ASP baton and was arrested for carrying one in Austin Texas once, where they are specifically illegal, but I was young and stupid then. Now that I'm in NC, I could go back to carrying one. Maybe I will. The ASP is a fine weapon, and you can carry it visibly without anyone really knowing what it is or it looking threatening...until you whip it out. I like being able to carry something less than a gun if I want to. I still can't believe that.....you can carry a f*cking battle axe down the street here if you want. That just blows me away.

    Of course the weird thing about the concealed law in Texas is that it doesn't allow you to conceal-carry anything less than than a gun either. Why not?

  4. #4
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    Charlotte_resident wrote:
    I am going to write a letter to Food Lion asking them to post the proper signage on all their doors.
    It is generally not a good idea to ask a business to be anti carry. :?
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    I asked them to clarify their stance on this and post signage if their policy was anti-carry. I also put the carrot out in front of them by noting that I was not the only one doing this, and there is a sizeable, growing, and oragnized number of persons on the web doing the same, all of them potentially hard-core Food Lion customers if they allow carry, and I said I'd get that word out to them if they wewre to allow in-store carry. They have far more to gain by allowing than by not.

    So I guess getting hassled by store personell and security is going to be a way of life for me now? At least most of the guards know the law, or at least the ones who carry guns. Still doesn't mean they won't walk up and tell you to leave because they may not know any given merchant's policy. Oh well. That is the price we pay for being at the forefront of a movement that has yet to pick up steam. One day I hope OC is so common that no one will raise an eyebrow to or prohibit it.

    Jeff

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    199

    Post imported post

    Not a bright idea to say suggest that they put up a sign for anti carry.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    Post the store name and location maybe even the date time, and managers name.

    I'd like to drop them a friendly note about OC.

    I do visit that area.

    anyone know what Food Lion's policy is as a whole company ???

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    No problem. The store is Food Lion #1057 at 3207 Eastway Drive, Charlotte, NC., 28205.

    I don't know the manager's name or if he was the head manager of the place. Time was just before closing on the 24th. Please do drop them a note. The more people they hear from, the better. If you write to that particular store, send a copy to their HQ also. The corporate address and customer service phone numbers can be obtained from their web site.

    Jeff

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    199

    Post imported post

    If I am out there that way I will OC and go buy something. Im sure this was just some new personell dont let this experiance hinder your OC. Dress acordingly perception is reality. and always debate the policy until asked to leave. Ask to speak to there boss and if you dont get a good anser have them call Corporate.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    I have OCed in Food Lion at least twice. (The Candlewyck location at Providence Rd.) No problems whatsoever and they have an armed security guard there too. It simply comes down to WHO is in charge that day. Some people have a problem with OC, others do not.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    Well until I hear one way or the other from FL upper management, maybe it's time I start going out of my way to shop at the Providence road store, which I feel deserves my business if they accomodate open carriers.

    Pretty soon, because of my letter, Food Lion will probably be forming a state-wide official policy as to this matter, and they'll be writing me to let me know what it is. On one hand they could forbid open carry in their stores or allow individual GMs to decide on their store's policy. That would be bad. Or we could get a real victory and be told, company-wide, that all FLs permit OC. My guess is the outcome will be positive because the economy sucks, and grocery stores already operate at a razor-thin profit margin of 1% or less. I told the brass, in my letter, that many OC'ers would loyally go out of their way to show to shop at Food Lion if they allowed OC, even over other stores.

    Can you please also tell me what other businesses in Charlotte, from your personal experience, allow open carry?


    Thanks,

    Jeff

  12. #12
    Regular Member Custodian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Capital City of Oaks - Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    293

    Post imported post

    I went down to the Queen City (Charlotte) for a bit and stepped inside of the Freedom Regional public library looking for a acquaintance. Inside of the lobby of the Freedom Regional library is a public service message (going up the ramp to the right of the sign in desk) that states that anyone and any home that owns a firearm is putting themselves at the risk of gang violence & that they only need to call the police/local authorities. Also, it says anyone who wears one is plainly a fool & seeks violent encounters.


    This is the attitude of the Charlotte government. You are warned, watch yourself and stay safe.
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

    Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    For one, I have met very few cops who don't have attitudes, and bad ones....so that's no concern to me. That's why we have laws and they don't get to make them up as they go. The law, FWIW, says I can carry on the streets and sidewalks of any city in this state and no city can stoip you from doing so. Parks, I would assume, are a maybe. In Charlotte they're probably a "no".

    I am assuming you weren't carrying in the library because to carry a gun on any property that the city of Charlotte owns, controls or leases is illegal, and yes state law allows them to do that.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    199

    Post imported post

    I open carry everywhere I go and have yet to have a problem except one jerk off security gaurd but he was set straight. You will find that pretty much anywhere you go is pretty much okay with you having a gun as long as you act accordingly. Just do it and dont worry about it. know the laws and you will be fine.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    Well, problem is, I'm, not from here so I don't know where Candylwick is or what it is, and they don't have a store listed as being on Providence road. Can you give me an address or intersection? And don't describe where it's at using other roads and landmarks which I'm similiarly unfamiliar with.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    http://local.yahoo.com/info-13252080...harlotte%2C+NC

    Food Lion on Candlewyck Rd., near Providence Rd. OCed there a couple of times at night (they close at 10), no problems. They have an armed security guard there too, but they were friendly and never gave me a problem.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    Thanks but I happened to go to the next closest one to my house and had no problems at all. On the way out the friendly security guard even asked me if it was an S&W or a Taurus and said it looked like a nice piece. I think that certainly means it's okay to carry there. The address of that one is 931 N. Wendover.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    Custodian wrote:
    I went down to the Queen City (Charlotte) for a bit and stepped inside of the Freedom Regional public library looking for a acquaintance. Inside of the lobby of the Freedom Regional library is a public service message (going up the ramp to the right of the sign in desk) that states that anyone and any home that owns a firearm is putting themselves at the risk of gang violence & that they only need to call the police/local authorities. Also, it says anyone who wears one is plainly a fool & seeks violent encounters.


    This is the attitude of the Charlotte government. You are warned, watch yourself and stay safe.
    that's right
    eveyone remember
    That when seconds count the police are only minutes away

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    In NC you may just have made that store off limits for Concealed Carry as well.

    This is my one complaint against open carry. Even when and where it is legal, it is not always prudent to do so.

    In a couple of weeks go back and let us know if there is now a sign posted on the door banning the carrying of firearms.



  20. #20
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    bennwj wrote:
    In NC you may just have made that store off limits for Concealed Carry as well.

    This is my one complaint against open carry. Even when and where it is legal, it is not always prudent to do so.

    In a couple of weeks go back and let us know if there is now a sign posted on the door banning the carrying of firearms.

    The sign wont bother me. It's still not illegal to open carry .

    So, when a man can't afford to, can't acquire to, or rightly chooses not to beg permission from the government to carry a concealed weapon, you still believe that there are instances where it is more prudent for him to go about unarmed and vulnerable? :?

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    You may want to look at this silly little thing called THE LAW. Any business in NC can prohibit the carrying of arms on its property. If you are carrying concealed at such an establishment it is a misdemeanor. If you are OC you can be charged with trespass.

    In any event people doing things "just because they can" @#$% up things for everybody else.

    If they post a sign there that says "No Concealed Handguns" then I can not carry there legally. If they post a sign that says, "No Guns" you are @#$%ed along with me. Get it?

    It's called responsibility.

    Two days ago I went all over El Paso, TX armed. The sunland park mall, the outlet mall on the west side, Olive Garden for a late lunch and then an Albertson's Grocery store, all without drawing any attention to myself, because I was carrying concealed.

    I am all for OC when it is prudent and called for. I am against it when attention ****** do it to flaunt the fact that it is legal.

    Like that idiot woman in PA OCing at a kids soccer game. Was anybody really surprised that somebody called the police? There are many many people out there who do not own guns but believe others should be able to.

    Exercise your rights carefully or you may lose them.

  22. #22
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    bennwj wrote:
    You may want to look at this silly little thing called THE LAW. Any business in NC can prohibit the carrying of arms on its property. If you are carrying concealed at such an establishment it is a misdemeanor. If you are OC you can be charged with trespass.

    In any event people doing things "just because they can" @#$% up things for everybody else.

    If they post a sign there that says "No Concealed Handguns" then I can not carry there legally. If they post a sign that says, "No Guns" you are @#$%ed along with me. Get it?

    It's called responsibility.
    Well now there's no need to be rude. A sign that says "no weapons" is synonymous to a sign that says "no shirt, no shoes, no service". You can walk into McD's without shoes on...they may serve you, they may not, but you can't be charged with a crime unless they tell you to leave and you don't. The only difference is that you can't carry a concealed weapon into those places, since your permit doesn't cover them.

    So, open carry is perfectly legal, albeit it against "store policy".

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    carrying concealed is not a right (unfortunately) it is a granted to you by the government just like your drivers license.

    Flaunt something just because you can and you may find yourself on the south end of popular opinion and popular opinion shapes laws.

    In no way was I implying that he go unarmed and I am not implying that OC is wrong.

    I am for OC when the situation warrants it. The middle of Charlotte is not exactly a bastion of the 2nd Amendment, so people should be careful there.

    He can also EASILY obtain a CCW in Mecklenberg county, so your argument has no merit.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    Ok. Something is not getting through to you.

    OC is fine when appropriate. It was cool enough in Charlotte to wear a long sleeved shirt or light jacket.

    SOME PEOPLE get nervous when they see civilians walking around with guns.

    When it is PRUDENT to OC then do so. A store at 10PM in the middle of Charlotte is not a good place to OC when he could have just as easily covered his weapon.

    Everybody seems to be on this kick that because it is legal we should all strap one on and head out into public. Well, the "public" passes the laws and it does not take too much of an imagination to picture some soccer mom being scared and getting enough support to have a law passed making OC illegal. Then what do you do? Fight an uphill battle to get it back?

  25. #25
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    bennwj wrote:
    carrying concealed is not a right (unfortunately) it is a granted to you by the government just like your drivers license.

    Flaunt something just because you can and you may find yourself on the south end of popular opinion and popular opinion shapes laws.

    In no way was I implying that he go unarmed and I am not implying that OC is wrong.

    I am for OC when the situation warrants it. The middle of Charlotte is not exactly a bastion of the 2nd Amendment, so people should be careful there.

    He can also EASILY obtain a CCW in Mecklenberg county, so your argument has no merit.


    Can he afford one? Does he want to beg the government for one? He already has the right to carry openly, the only stipulation being that he can't conceal it. Why should he ignore the opportunity he already has and instead waste money and join in on the government's unconstitutional restrictions on our rights?

    Please, again, you needn't be rude. Feel free to attempt to disprove my argument, but do so with facts and logic, not with weightless statements of righteousness.

    Everybody seems to be on this kick that because it is legal we should all strap one on and head out into public.
    The call is not to show off your piece because you can. The call is to take responsibility for the safety of yourself and your family. The great thing about it is that we don't have to sell ourselves to the government to do it. The fact that it HAS to be openly displayed is not our fault. If people don't want to see guns around town, maybe they should push to get the concealed ban and permit requirements lifted so responsible citizens have more ways to exercise their rights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •