• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hassled a bit at Food Lion in Charlotte, my first OC experience to boot.

Charlotte_resident

imported post

Went out to get a bag of food at Fodo Lion this evening on Eastway (near Central av.) in Charlotte this evening, neatly dressed with my stainless .357 6 in revolver on my hip. This was the first time I was meeting the world as an open carrier so I was a bit nervous as I am sure we all were that first time. BUt Iwalked into the store and straight to the dog food aisle, got a bag of food for Fido and stepped back into the main flyway to go to the register. I was no sooner met by the manager and armed security guard who asked me if I was law enforcement. I said "No.". The manager then said I could not bring the gun into the store. I said that thsi was an open carry state. He said he knew that, but guns were not allowed in the store. I said okay, and that I would not come back with it, but would it be okay if I paid for the dog food before I left? He said yes. I then walked to the register where I was completely left alone by the manager and guard and was treated nicely by the register girl. I left without any further incident.

I was emberassed by this, frankly. I put my need (especially in Charlotte) to defend myself first, and my desire to not be singled out second. I looked on the door when I walked in and saw nothing whatsoever about being able to carry firearms either concealed or otherwise, which I would have respected had any such sign been there. There is nothing illegal about being asked to not carry in the store, that's true. But it would have been less embarassing had they posted a sign to that effect.

I am new to this so I am sure this is not going to be the first time this happens, but all things considered, it all worked out well. I am going to write a letter to Food Lion asking them to post the proper signage on all their doors.

Decoligny

imported post

I would have dropped the dog food where I was standing, and said "If you don't want me to carry my gun then you don't want my business." and walked out. You can get dog food anywhere.

Charlotte_resident

imported post

I appreciate the comment, and yes that was an option which I would have had no problem executing since putting my foto down is not something I'm, shy about. But in the larger scheme of things, I'm probably goig to get a groveling apology from the upper management, that manager of the store is going to hear about this in some manner, and I suggested in my letter that if they did allow open carry, I would tell everyone here and they would be rewarded with a die-hard customer base of open carriers throughout NC who would no doubt go out of their way to shop there instead of any other grocery store.

I could have told them were to stick it but we'll see where I get with honey this time rather than vinegar. I also have to consider that they're the cheapest grocery store around and one of only two groceries in my area, the others being miles out of my way. I think the idea of boycotting a store who refuses me entry and then writing a nasty letter to corporate will come in handy in the future and get the policy changed and individual store management chastized.

Come to think of it. I've always been a fan of the ASP baton and was arrested for carrying one in Austin Texas once, where they are specifically illegal, but I was young and stupid then. Now that I'm in NC, I could go back to carrying one. Maybe I will. The ASP is a fine weapon, and you can carry it visibly without anyone really knowing what it is or it looking threatening...until you whip it out. I like being able to carry something less than a gun if I want to. I still can't believe that.....you can carry a f*cking battle axe down the street here if you want. That just blows me away.

Of course the weird thing about the concealed law in Texas is that it doesn't allow you to conceal-carry anything less than than a gun either. Why not?

Charlotte_resident

imported post

I asked them to clarify their stance on this and post signage if their policy was anti-carry. I also put the carrot out in front of them by noting that I was not the only one doing this, and there is a sizeable, growing, and oragnized number of persons on the web doing the same, all of them potentially hard-core Food Lion customers if they allow carry, and I said I'd get that word out to them if they wewre to allow in-store carry. They have far more to gain by allowing than by not.

So I guess getting hassled by store personell and security is going to be a way of life for me now? At least most of the guards know the law, or at least the ones who carry guns. Still doesn't mean they won't walk up and tell you to leave because they may not know any given merchant's policy. Oh well. That is the price we pay for being at the forefront of a movement that has yet to pick up steam. One day I hope OC is so common that no one will raise an eyebrow to or prohibit it.

Jeff

tracylaud83

imported post

Post the store name and location maybe even the date time, and managers name.

I'd like to drop them a friendly note about OC.

I do visit that area.

anyone know what Food Lion's policy is as a whole company ???

Charlotte_resident

imported post

No problem. The store is Food Lion #1057 at 3207 Eastway Drive, Charlotte, NC., 28205.

I don't know the manager's name or if he was the head manager of the place. Time was just before closing on the 24th. Please do drop them a note. The more people they hear from, the better. If you write to that particular store, send a copy to their HQ also. The corporate address and customer service phone numbers can be obtained from their web site.

Jeff

burninsteeda04

imported post

If I am out there that way I will OC and go buy something. Im sure this was just some new personell dont let this experiance hinder your OC. Dress acordingly perception is reality. and always debate the policy until asked to leave. Ask to speak to there boss and if you dont get a good anser have them call Corporate.

Panos1296

imported post

I have OCed in Food Lion at least twice. (The Candlewyck location at Providence Rd.) No problems whatsoever and they have an armed security guard there too. It simply comes down to WHO is in charge that day. Some people have a problem with OC, others do not.

Charlotte_resident

imported post

Well until I hear one way or the other from FL upper management, maybe it's time I start going out of my way to shop at the Providence road store, which I feel deserves my business if they accomodate open carriers.

Pretty soon, because of my letter, Food Lion will probably be forming a state-wide official policy as to this matter, and they'll be writing me to let me know what it is. On one hand they could forbid open carry in their stores or allow individual GMs to decide on their store's policy. That would be bad. Or we could get a real victory and be told, company-wide, that all FLs permit OC. My guess is the outcome will be positive because the economy sucks, and grocery stores already operate at a razor-thin profit margin of 1% or less. I told the brass, in my letter, that many OC'ers would loyally go out of their way to show to shop at Food Lion if they allowed OC, even over other stores.

Can you please also tell me what other businesses in Charlotte, from your personal experience, allow open carry?

Thanks,

Jeff

Custodian

imported post

I went down to the Queen City (Charlotte) for a bit and stepped inside of the Freedom Regional public library looking for a acquaintance. Inside of the lobby of the Freedom Regional library is a public service message (going up the ramp to the right of the sign in desk) that states that anyone and any home that owns a firearm is putting themselves at the risk of gang violence & that they only need to call the police/local authorities. Also, it says anyone who wears one is plainly a fool & seeks violent encounters.

This is the attitude of the Charlotte government. You are warned, watch yourself and stay safe.

Charlotte_resident

imported post

For one, I have met very few cops who don't have attitudes, and bad ones....so that's no concern to me. That's why we have laws and they don't get to make them up as they go. The law, FWIW, says I can carry on the streets and sidewalks of any city in this state and no city can stoip you from doing so. Parks, I would assume, are a maybe. In Charlotte they're probably a "no".

I am assuming you weren't carrying in the library because to carry a gun on any property that the city of Charlotte owns, controls or leases is illegal, and yes state law allows them to do that.

burninsteeda04

imported post

I open carry everywhere I go and have yet to have a problem except one jerk off security gaurd but he was set straight. You will find that pretty much anywhere you go is pretty much okay with you having a gun as long as you act accordingly. Just do it and dont worry about it. know the laws and you will be fine.

Charlotte_resident

imported post

Well, problem is, I'm, not from here so I don't know where Candylwick is or what it is, and they don't have a store listed as being on Providence road. Can you give me an address or intersection? And don't describe where it's at using other roads and landmarks which I'm similiarly unfamiliar with.

Charlotte_resident

imported post

Thanks but I happened to go to the next closest one to my house and had no problems at all. On the way out the friendly security guard even asked me if it was an S&W or a Taurus and said it looked like a nice piece. I think that certainly means it's okay to carry there. The address of that one is 931 N. Wendover.

ga_repoman

imported post

Custodian wrote:
I went down to the Queen City (Charlotte) for a bit and stepped inside of the Freedom Regional public library looking for a acquaintance. Inside of the lobby of the Freedom Regional library is a public service message (going up the ramp to the right of the sign in desk) that states that anyone and any home that owns a firearm is putting themselves at the risk of gang violence & that they only need to call the police/local authorities. Also, it says anyone who wears one is plainly a fool & seeks violent encounters.

This is the attitude of the Charlotte government. You are warned, watch yourself and stay safe.
that's right
eveyone remember
That when seconds count the police are only minutes away

bennwj

imported post

In NC you may just have made that store off limits for Concealed Carry as well.

This is my one complaint against open carry. Even when and where it is legal, it is not always prudent to do so.

In a couple of weeks go back and let us know if there is now a sign posted on the door banning the carrying of firearms.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

bennwj wrote:
In NC you may just have made that store off limits for Concealed Carry as well.

This is my one complaint against open carry. Even when and where it is legal, it is not always prudent to do so.

In a couple of weeks go back and let us know if there is now a sign posted on the door banning the carrying of firearms.

The sign wont bother me. It's still not illegal to open carry ;).

So, when a man can't afford to, can't acquire to, or rightly chooses not to beg permission from the government to carry a concealed weapon, you still believe that there are instances where it is more prudent for him to go about unarmed and vulnerable? :?