• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BB&T in Manassas is robbed at noon today

Glock27Bill

imported post

SunTrust allows open carry.

There was an incident about a year ago where a VCDL member was open carrying and a guy came into one of their branches, looked around, saw the OCer, then turned around and left.

The tellers and the manager told the OCer he just prevented a robbery.

I transferred my accounts there from Wachovia about a year ago, had to wait 20 minutes for assistance, was OCing the entire time. No problems at all.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

About a month ago I was getting my truck inspected at the Shell gas station next door. While I was letting the mechanic have a go, I retreated next door to the back of this BBT to have a smoke at the picnic table. A women came out the back door and on her way by to her pickup about 3 spaces from me, paused and said, "you have a gun. I guess you are a bank guard." I told her I wasn't, that I was just waiting on my vehicle next door.

"Why do you have a gun?"

"I take personal responsibility. I don't depend on a feckless government. Do you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen?"

"No. I can just leave my house."

"Do you wear your seatbelt in that truck?"

"Yes."

"Are you expecting to be in a fatal accident?"

"No."

-----------

"Oh..., okay. I thought you might be crazy."

Jumped in her truck and drove off before I could open my mouth once more. :?

I let her go and did not approach as she was talking to me while walking to her vehicle. She seemed too skittish, but then, shedid justcome out of the bank.

Neplusultra

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:

There was an incident about a year ago where a VCDL member was open carrying and a guy came into one of their branches, looked around, saw the OCer, then turned around and left.

I transferred my accounts there from Wachovia about a year ago, had to wait 20 minutes for assistance, was OCing the entire time. No problems at all.
Yeah, I remember the OP telling the story. IIRC they came in with masks on, saw him from behind, turned around and left. He didn't even know what had just happened until the teller who saw it told him. Now, that's funny!

hsmith

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
About a month ago I was getting my truck inspected at the Shell gas station next door. While I was letting the mechanic have a go, I retreated next door to the back of this BBT to have a smoke at the picnic table. A women came out the back door and on her way by to her pickup about 3 spaces from me, paused and said, "you have a gun. I guess you are a bank guard." I told her I wasn't, that I was just waiting on my vehicle next door.

"Why do you have a gun?"

"I take personal responsibility. I don't depend on a feckless government. Do you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen?"

"No. I can just leave my house."

"Do you wear your seatbelt in that truck?"

"Yes."

"Are you expecting to be in a fatal accident?"

"No."

-----------

"Oh..., okay. I thought you might be crazy."

Jumped in her truck and drove off before I could open my mouth once more. :?

I let her go and did not approach as she was talking to me while walking to her vehicle. She seemed too skittish, but then, shedid justcome out of the bank.
Why do you keep a loaded fire extinguiser?!!! You know your chanceso f having a fire in your house? Who is the last person you knew that had a house fire they needed a fire extinguisher for?!!

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Why do you keep a loaded fire extinguiser?!!! You know your chanceso f having a fire in your house? Who is the last person you knew that had a house fire they needed a fire extinguisher for?!!

I wouldn't have gone that far. I've put out a fire at my neighbor's house not long ago while they were stuck inside, and there have been several right in my neighborhood since I've lived here. (15+)

So to me, the example of the likelyhood of the necessity is more clear.

hsmith

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
hsmith wrote:

I wouldn't have gone that far. I've put out a fire at my neighbor's house not long ago while they were stuck inside, and there have been several right in my neighborhood since I've lived here. (15+)

So to me, the example of the likelyhood of the necessity is more clear.
Man, maybe not the best tongue in cheek example with you :p

but an extinguiser was the first thing i had the g/f get when she got her own place. CCW lessons are next!

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:

Edit - fixed the date....(had 21, should have been 28)

From 12/28/06 VA-ALERT...

The event that VCDL Board member Dennis O'Connor describes below happened in a SunTrust branch a couple of days ago.

SunTrust does not ban their law-abiding customers from legally carrying a firearm for self defense.

Had this been a Wachovia or a BB&T, both of which ban guns, the outcome would probably have been very different.

This event also underlines something that both Dennis and I believe - open carry, in and of itself, can be a strong deterrent to crime. Yes, I know - the criminal COULD do a preemptive strike against someone he sees carrying openly. But in practice such an event is extremely rare. The outcome described below is the usual case.

In analyzing the encounter, the only thing I can flaw Dennis with is not being aware of the significance of what has happening around him. But I have a law enforcement background and was trained to be on the lookout for certain behaviors and do so automatically.

The tellers at the bank, who are probably trained in how to handle a robbery, certainly knew what had just happened!

The other lesson is that crime almost always happens when you least expect it. In this case Dennis was busy getting some deposits taken care of and was focused on that task, something he has done for years routinely without a hitch. So when something unusual happened, his mind was a little slow switching gears.

Looking at it from a criminal's point of view, it was the perfect time for a holdup - the bank had just opened and there were few customers. (You can imagine that it would be much more difficult to rob a bank with, say, thirty people inside.)

In the end, this worked out as it usually does when a criminal finds himself face-to-face with an armed citizen - the criminal flees without a shot being fired.

In this more unusual case, Dennis's gun wasn't even touched or brandished!

Dennis's report:

On Tuesday the 26th of December I went down to the Sun Trust bank in
Hopewell to complete some financial transactions. I got there just as they
were opening and entered with a woman who had been waiting outside. There
were three tellers in position to the left, one customer service associate
at a desk to the right, and the manager was seated in his office to the
rear right, so there were seven of us in the bank.

I have been banking there for years and know the tellers fairly well, who
are quite used to me walking in with my holstered 1911 government model
.45 and two reserve magazines. As I was transacting business with my
teller, a man came in through the front door on this warm December morning
wearing a full ski mask, with only his eyes showing. He was wringing his
hands and glanced furtively toward the office and then swept his eyes
across the room, finally towards me and the tellers. At that, he turned
and BOLTED back out the door!

The teller next to my position was the first to recognize the implications
of what had just happened, and yelled for the manager who came rushing out
from his office. He glanced toward me before sticking his head out the
front door, looking both ways down the sidewalk, and pronouncing that the
suspicious character had apparently left the area. The same teller then
expressed her relief that I had been there, and mentioned that the next Sun
Trust down on Route 10 (Iron Bridge Road) had just been robbed the week
before.

I regret to say that I was pretty oblivious to anything but the business I
was immediately conducting, and walked out thinking no more about it as a
non-incident at the time. In fact, even later that evening I only
mentioned it as a casual after-thought in a conversation with Philip. He
urged me to write up this account of what had transpired, and I will leave
it to him to dissect and analyze the facts, psychologies, probabilities and
possible alternative outcomes.

FOLLOW UP

I went by the bank again today to make a deposit - same three tellers on
duty. I asked them if the police were called over the ski-masked intruder.
They said no, but they had all discussed the incident yesterday afternoon
and agreed that it was me standing there with a gun at Sharon's window
(first one from the door) that spooked him into changing his plans, and
they all thanked me again (although I didn't DO anything).

Neplusultra

imported post

pourshot wrote:
From 12/21/06 VA-ALERT...

The event that VCDL Board member Dennis O'Connor describes below happened in a SunTrust branch a couple of days ago.

Dennis's report:

On Tuesday the 26th of December
I love that story

But there seems to be a bit of a descrepancy between the two dates given. The alert is dated *before* the date of the thwarted robbery......:exclaim:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:

+1

Been there, done that. Car fire. Neighbor. Twofire extinguishers--one from my truck, one from my kitchen.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
I love that story

But there seems to be a bit of a descrepancy between the two dates given. The alert is dated *before* the date of the thwarted robbery......:exclaim:
I went back and checked - the date is now fixed. It was in the alert for the 28th

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sorry to continue the slight topic derail, but any issues with Chevy Chase Bank? Are they anti-carry?

Edit to add: I've checked the couple of times I've been in there, but no signs on the door. I wasn't carrying at the time though, so couldn't test.