Thread: Shooting at South Mountain Community College

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Details just now coming in. School is in south Phoenix.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...ng0724-CP.html

Post imported post

I've said this before, I don't understand how in the world these types of things keep happening on school campuses! I mean, they're "Gun Free Zones".

Perhaps we need legislation that states you need to take a literacy and civics test before being licensed to be a criminal. That way they'll know the law.

Or perhaps just allow law abiding citizens the ability to excercise their rights.....nah, that's silly.

Post imported post

This case probably isn't going to provide much ammo for either side, AZkopper. From reading followup reports on azcentral, it seems that the man who was shot this time had not only attacked and injured the shooter in December, he also threw the first punch in this incident.

This looks like nothing more than two people spoiling for a fight. Obviously, the "gun-free zone" wasn't, and just as obviously (to me), having both parties armed in this situation would not have caused a more desirable outcome.

(Disclaimer: my opinion is formed based on the news reports released at this point. I'm sure that the "facts" are subject to change as more information is released.)

On edit - from a newer news report:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...gfolo0726.html

Isaac Smith is believed to have been the only intended target. An ongoing dispute between Isaac Smith and Rodney Smith, who are not related, was intensely personal.

According to court records, the bad blood stretches back at least to December, when Isaac Smith (today's shooting victim), his brother, 24-year-old Leander Lamar Louis, and their friend, 19-year-old Rashad McCuin, got into an argument with Rodney Smith (today's shooter) outside a store in the 5800 block of South 19th Avenue.

At least one of the men punched Rodney Smith, knocking him to the ground, the records show, and all three men punched and kicked him as he was on the ground. Rodney Smith's jaw was broken in two places and Isaac Smith subsequently admitted to police that he punched and kicked Rodney Smith during the fight, records show.

All three defendants pleaded guilty to aggravated assault. Isaac Smith and Louis were sentenced to probation, while McCuin was sentenced to 18 months in prison.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I think there are a few ways to 'make hay' over this...

1. As you mentioned, another example of 'gun-free zones' being gun-free only for those that will follow the rules. Wake up legislators, it happened here in Arizona.

2.Although the Police/Security arrived quickly, 3 people were shot, the perp was gone and they(Police) had absolutely no affect on the outcome of the situation.

3. Had he wanted no witnesses or just wanted to die, many in the area could easily have been killed. The only recourse the others in the area hadwas to duck under a desk.

4.The alert system 'worked as it should have', and what good did it do?

Post imported post

OK, dropping the sarcasm, my points were:

1. People who want to harm others will ignore feel-good "Gun Free Zone" rules

2. We legislate, regulate, and infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens, which has no bearing on what criminally minded folks will do.

3. As it was said above, the police arrived after 2-3 people were already down, and the suspect was gone. The police cannot save you, plus it is not their duty to protect you (despite what LAPD prints on their cars).

4. As it was said above, the 'alert system' worked "perfectly". So what. An email, text message or phone call saying "unarmed, defenseless people have been harmed on campus, becareful-you might be next" is worthless at the actual time of the incident.

Regardless of the fact that the "victim" was a suspect yesterday, that this was not a 'random' act of violence, and that the two had a history against eachother, it does not change the fact that innocent people were hurt, who maybe-just maybe-could have actually actively defended themselves.

Shame on the AZ legislature, and shame on Gov. "Jayno" for setting these people up to be victims.

Post imported post

To all the people for "weapons free zones,"

Columbine...weapons free zone

Luby's Cafeteria...weapons free zone

Virginia Tech...weapons free zone

Omaha mall...weapons free zone

9/11 flights...weapons free zone

Strange all of these shooting sprees happen in "weapons free zones."

To all the people who say, "we don't need shootouts," a shootout between two people is always better than a shooting spree where one person is mowing down everyone else.

Post imported post

protector84 wrote:
    To all the people who say, "we don't need shootouts," a shootout between two people is always better than a shooting spree where one person is mowing down everyone else.
    Well said.

Post imported post

*Deleted*

Post imported post

My point is, do we really want to use this victim as the poster child for the right to self-defense? This clown insulted some guy's girlfriend in a gas station last December, then jumps the guy, breaks his jaw in two places, and tops it off by punching the girlfriend when she tries to stop it. When he sees the guy again this week, he stands up and punches him again. This time the punching bag pulls out a gun and shoots him.

While the shooting spree in the school is criminally stupid and deserving of harsh punishment, it's hard for me to generate much sympathy for the "victim." He sounds like a sorry SOB who was going through life just looking for someone to clean his clock.

I'm certainly not going to go around stating that I wish he had had a gun with him in school; he probably would have used it to assault someone else, just as he's been convicted of doing in the past.

This case is lose-lose for all sides involved (pro-gun, anti-gun, ccw, oc, you name it - I don't see how anyone can look at this case and say their position would have offered a better outcome).

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I see what you're saying mzbk, but my point was not to place blame or to justify one side or the other in this particular situation. My point was toshow that once again, the system to keep innocent students safe.... failed. The system that was put in place after Virginia Tech with text alerts... failed. The system that Police management and campus security(when testifying before the legislature to defeat SB1214)said they would modify to make things safer... failed.

Post imported post

Agreed.