• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Burglar beaten by would-be victims

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/372049_robbery25.html?source=rss
By CLAIRE TRAGESER
P-I REPORTER
Victims of an attempted robbery on Thursday morning decided they weren't going to take the affront lying down.
When a 24-year-old man sneaked into a house on the 21600 block of 164th Drive Southeast in Monroe at about 3:30 a.m. and threatened the couple with a gun, they fought back. The two would-be victims, a husband and wife, beat the would-be robber with a baseball bat.
Although the couple received minor injuries from the altercation, the robbery suspect fared far worse. He was first taken to Valley General Hospital in Monroe and then to Harborview Medical Center with serious head wounds, said Rebecca Hover, spokeswoman for the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office.
When released, the man's next stop will likely be the Snohomish County Jail for investigation of first-degree robbery, Hover said.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Kudos to the husband and wife!

I'm just wondering why there is nothing about attempted 1st degree murderbeing mentioned. Does the DA think the robber was merely going to show the victims he possessed a gun - as opposed to the robber going into the house with the mens rea of planning to use it?

A few prosecutions like that might actually get crooks to stop and think about what they are ..... OK, who am I kidding? Crooks don't think ahead that far. Or they think they will not get caught. But it sure would make the honest citizens of the locality happy to see that someone is finally getting serious about the issue.

stay safe.

skidmark

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Besides the obvious +1 to GG and such, I'm getting another message from this that is important to all of us who carry a firearm.

Just because you have a gun, and even if you get the drop on someone, that doesn't mean they won't beat your a$$ and take away the gun, especially if you aren't prepared to fire the minute it clears leather.

He who hesitates is lost and all that.

imperialism2024

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Kudos to the husband and wife!

I'm just wondering why there is nothing about attempted 1st degree murderbeing mentioned. Does the DA think the robber was merely going to show the victims he possessed a gun - as opposed to the robber going into the house with the mens rea of planning to use it?

A few prosecutions like that might actually get crooks to stop and think about what they are ..... OK, who am I kidding? Crooks don't think ahead that far. Or they think they will not get caught. But it sure would make the honest citizens of the locality happy to see that someone is finally getting serious about the issue.

Nah, you only get charged with attempted first-degree murder if you use a gun in self-defense...

And a +1 to DD for that reminder. Especially if the BG is a third-strike contestent, or in a similar situation where death is a preferable or equivalent option to getting caught. If he has nothing to lose, he may as well call your bluff and try to subdue you regardless.