• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a Belt Magazine Patch "Conceal" a Mag, thus Making You Illegal?

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We are about to have an OC meeting in Northridge and someone brought up the idea that his mag pouch covers the mag and thus concealed mag=concealed firearm. . .

Is this right? Can a magazine pouch on the belt be concealment?

I am trying to find an image of mine. . but can't. It is an Uncle Mikes. It has adjustable flap that snaps in place. It holds two single row magazines.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Depends on state law. In most states where I've looked at gun law, it's the firearm, not the ammunition, that determines whether you are carrying concealed or open. Here in Texas you must conceal your firearm (and have a CHL of course), but you can hang the magazines from your ears if you wanted. Course that makes it real easy to presume you are concealing a gun.

I wouldn't sweat it. Put your extra mag in a pouch; if you're OCing it's an extra mag, if you're CCing it could easily be a Leatherman (or if you have a two-mag pouch it could be a PDA or cell phone). Either way, any antis you see won't make an issue of the pouch as much as they will the gun.

Mechanic

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley, California, USA
imported post

I just spent probably a full hour trying to find a reference in the CA forum and conclude that I read of the potential issue in another state or on a different site entirely. Hope some of the guys that that normally chime in on stuff like this will render an opinion before tomorrow!

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am fortunate enough that I can remove the flaps, which might make draw quicker.

But Mechanic. . Just let me know single or double row mags. . The local store here has the uncle mikes in stock and I can pick one up for you and give it to you at the meeting tomorrow. I think it is about $30. . pricy.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Then again, you could just slide mag in your belt. Nothing says it has to be in a holder. . It is cheap, and legal!