• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Outdoor shooting.

yeahYeah

imported post

i've been told about areas near sloan and indian springs. i am going to check out sloan this sunday...i may find my new spot.

AnakinsKid

imported post

For a good spot near Sloan-- Take Las Vegas Bl south about 10 miles past St Rose, and there's a turnoff with a sign that says "Southern Nevada Lightweight, x Miles To Pit". Take that road, and keep going past the end of the pavement. Any car can make it there. I get my Cavalier out there easily. Use satellite view --> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.828892,+-115.218526&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&ll=35.829044,-115.218526&spn=0.00207,0.004699&t=h&z=18&iwloc=addr

You can't miss the spot, it's on the left. Lots of junk out there that people have shot up and left. There's at least 1 spot a little past that, again, on the left, in case that spot is being used.

AnakinsKid

imported post

dedede69 wrote:
Thank you both have any of you shot at the jean lake?
As best I know, Jean Lake is right by where I shoot at. There is a dry lake bed that the dirt bikers like to tear up that you see as you're driving to my spot, and it is just east of Jean. Go to the link I gave (on satellite view) and zoom out a few steps, you'll see it.

I won't ever shoot on or at the lake because I know there are a lot of dirt bikers/off-roaders that will head out there at any given time. I shoot with a hill between me and the lake, and facing away from it.

yeahYeah

imported post

i went out to the gravel pit area icode mentioned just south of Sloan today. there were a few people shooting, but there are many nice spots that a standard car can get too. i plan on going back - in the morning though. it was way to hot.

take 15 south, get off at sloan...get onto vegas blvd south for about 3-4 miles. when you see the cell phone tower on your right on the other side of 15, you will see a dirt road entrance on your left.

...i just wish people would pick up after themsevles.

yeahYeah

imported post

cheap....ha! i've had to cut back on shooting because of the cost. it's gas vs. ammo now. i'd be lucky if i take my rifles,etc. out twice a month now.

icode

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
For a good spot near Sloan-- Take Las Vegas Bl south about 10 miles past St Rose, and there's a turnoff with a sign that says "Southern Nevada Lightweight, x Miles To Pit". Take that road, and keep going past the end of the pavement. Any car can make it there. I get my Cavalier out there easily. Use satellite view --> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.828892,+-115.218526&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&ll=35.829044,-115.218526&spn=0.00207,0.004699&t=h&z=18&iwloc=addr

You can't miss the spot, it's on the left. Lots of junk out there that people have shot up and left. There's at least 1 spot a little past that, again, on the left, in case that spot is being used.

I'll have to check that spot out. But for now with gas prices I'll stick closer to my spot :)

ETA: I carry a copy of the BLM shooting map on me when shooting out there. I figure if BLM ever questions me I can at least tell them I thought I was in the right area.