• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Rights / Info Pamphlet

jbradford1

imported post

I checked out the Gun Rights pamphlet provided by M1 Gunr in the "Places off limits" forum. It is for Washington State but we can do our own...and like Gunr does..anytime someone mentions your OC..give them an information pamphlet. I like the Ideal..can anyone put one together for KY?

jbradford1

imported post

Great.. the visuals are easy..its the content thats important. Have you looked at Gunr's pamphlet? Check it out and see what you can come up with as far as content. You can even swap out KY's for WA. ??? Use the same format? I am going to look for who did theirs and see if I cant get some info from them...Carry On!

jbradford1

imported post

[align=left]This pamphlet is free to copy and distribute in its unaltered form. It is licensed under[/align]
[align=left]the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 by[/align]
[align=left]members of the OpenCarry.org forums. To view this license visit[/align]

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/

Here is the info at the bottom of the pamphlet...!

N00blet45

imported post

I wouldn't do that. Kentucky law is too different to do that. Maybe if we were talking about Alaska or Idaho but Washington is a different story.

I can type out a lot of the information and then someone else could put it into a nice-looking format.

jbradford1

imported post

I have something for you.....http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/237-00/CHAPTER.HTM

Look at sect .104......

237.104 Rights to acquire, carry, and use deadly weapons not to be impaired during disaster or emergency -- Seizure of deadly weapons during disaster or emergency prohibited -- Application of section.
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]
(1) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, have the right to revoke, suspend, limit the use of, or otherwise impair the validity of the right of any person to purchase, transfer, loan, own, possess, carry, or use a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

(2) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, take, seize, confiscate, or impound a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument from any person.

(3) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the taking of an item specified in subsection (1) or (2) of this section from a person who is:

(a) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040;

(b) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to federal law;

(c) Violating KRS 527.020;

(d) In possession of a stolen firearm;

(e) Using a firearm in the commission of a separate criminal offense; or

(f) Using a firearm or other weapon in the commission of an offense under KRS Chapter 150.
[/font]
Effective:
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]July 12, 2006
[/font]
History:
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]Created 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 240, sec. 7, effective July 12, 2006.
[/font]

N00blet45

imported post

I know. I've already put that in. I'm well versed in Kentucky law as it relates to firearms, as well as any non-lawyer can hope to understand. Not trying to be a jerk or brag, I'm just saying. :)

I wrote a very simple document on wordpad so far, which fits since Kentucky firearms law is very simple compared to some states.

jbradford1

imported post

Ready for the info NOOblet...got the pamphlet done. I used an Greeting Card Factory prog. and I don't know how to get it to you for review! I tried to scan it to my pictures but it comes out lighter and grainier??? You can still read it but ...From the original prog. I cant save it as anything but *.fsn...whatever that is. Any advice?

I am going to send it to you anyway..after you send me your info..private email...see what you think.

TheMrMitch

imported post

This useful?????

[align=left]Traveler's checklist:[/align]
[align=left] *Firearms Ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]
[align=left]
*Assault weapon ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]
[align=left] *Machine Gun Ownership:
no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only[/align]
[align=left] *Firearm law uniformity:
preemption law, firearm laws uniform throughout state[/align]
[align=left] *Right of Self-Defense: castle doctrine, right protected by statute[/align]
[align=left] *Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted[/align]
[align=left] *Concealed carry:
licenses granted to residents on a "shall issue" basis; automatic
reciprocity for nonresidents with licenses from other states[/align]

[align=left] *Vehicle carry and transportation:
firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may
be carried
loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns maybe carried in
the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed)
[/align]
[align=left][/align]

[align=left] Kentucky's rolling hills and tree-covered mountains provide the perfect
setting for any Hollywood production about the early pioneers of the Ohio valley.
Firearms carry in those days was essential for survival. Fortunately for gun-owners,
Kentucky still maintains a healthyrespect for this heritage in its firearm laws.[/align]
[align=left] Kentucky requires a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about one's
person. The State Police issue such permits through the local sheriff of the
applicant's home county for a five year term. Kentucky does not grant permits to
nonresidents but will recognize any permit issued by another state. Kentucky
licenses allow the concealed carry of any deadly weapon by the permittee.[/align]
[align=left] A traveler without a permit may carry loaded firearms in a vehicle if the
weapons are in plain view. Kentucky allows anyone to carry a loaded handgun in a
visible belt holster or on the dashboard or passenger seat of one's car. Glove
compartment carry is also considered legitimate as long the compartment is of the
factory-installed variety on the passenger's side. Console boxes and seat pockets
are not legitimate areas for unlicensed carry. Carrying a handgun in one of these
areas is the same as placing the weapon under the seat. Both modes of carry are
limited to persons possessing carry licenses. Rifles and shotguns may be carried
loaded and in plain view. The weapons may be secured in gun racks, gun slings, or
commercial gun cases located anywhere in the vehicle except concealed about the person.[/align]
[align=left] Travelers may carry loaded firearms in plain view while on foot in virtually any
public area of the state. Such carry is best limited to visible belt holsters secured on
one's hip. Kentucky's strong preemption law prevents this activity, as well as most
others involving firearms, from being locally regulated. Recently, employers were
further prohibited from preventing employees from carrying firearms in their vehicles
while the vehicles are parked on company property.[/align]
[align=left][/align]

JohnKelly

imported post

What about OC or CC on U.K. campus? The law pretty much leaves it up to the university, but what criminal penalties (if any) would apply?

N00blet45

imported post

From my understanding of the law you won't face any legal action but you will be subject to administrative punishment from the college.

This is from KRS 237.115, it should answer your question.

(1) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, nothing contained in KRS 237.110 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the right of a college, university, or any postsecondary education facility, including technical schools and community colleges, to control the possession of deadly weapons on any property owned or controlled by them or the right of a unit of state, city, county, urban-county, or charter county government to prohibit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building actually owned, leased, or occupied by that unit of government.

(2) Except as provided in KRS 527.020, the legislative body of a state, city, county, or urban-county government may, by statute, administrative regulation, or ordinance, prohibit or limit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government. That portion of a building in which the carrying of concealed deadly weapons is prohibited or limited shall be clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to the restricted area. The statute or ordinance shall exempt any building used for public housing by private persons, highway rest areas, firing ranges, and private dwellings owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government from any restriction on the carrying or possession of deadly weapons. The statute, administrative regulation, or ordinance shall not specify any criminal penalty for its violation but may specify that persons violating the statute or ordinance may be denied entrance to the building, ordered to leave the building, and if employees of the unit of government, be subject to employee disciplinary measures for violation of the provisions of the statute or ordinance. The provisions of this section shall not be deemed to be a violation of KRS 65.870 if the requirements of this section are followed. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any other unit of government.

(3) Unless otherwise specifically provided by the Kentucky Revised Statutes or applicable federal law, no criminal penalty shall attach to carrying a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon with a permit at any location at which an unconcealed firearm or other deadly weapon may be constitutionally carried.

ialexrick

imported post

On the UK website it just says that you can't have firearms on campus. I don't know how far that goes in regards to driving through campus. I sent an email to an officer this evening asking about that and also whether or not I could pick up my sister from her dorm while OCing in my car. I'll let you know what he says. There is a rifle range in the basement of Barker Hall that the rifle team uses and I know of some of the ROTC cadre that also shoot down there sometimes.

JohnKelly

imported post

Since I'm not a U.K. student or employee, it would appear that the most they could do would be to ask me to leave (if CCW discovered somehow), same as any other posted business. Failure to leave would subject me to a trespassing charge.

JohnKelly

imported post

Driving through U.K. (on a public street) is legal. Parking lots and U.K.-controlled access roads may be a different story - though if not a student or employee then it really doesn't matter.

Statesman

imported post

jbradford1 wrote:
I have something for you.....http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/237-00/CHAPTER.HTM

Look at sect .104......

237.104 Rights to acquire, carry, and use deadly weapons not to be impaired during disaster or emergency -- Seizure of deadly weapons during disaster or emergency prohibited -- Application of section.
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]
(1) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, have the right to revoke, suspend, limit the use of, or otherwise impair the validity of the right of any person to purchase, transfer, loan, own, possess, carry, or use a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

(2) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, take, seize, confiscate, or impound a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument from any person.

(3) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the taking of an item specified in subsection (1) or (2) of this section from a person who is:

(a) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040;

(b) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to federal law;

(c) Violating KRS 527.020;

(d) In possession of a stolen firearm;

(e) Using a firearm in the commission of a separate criminal offense; or

(f) Using a firearm or other weapon in the commission of an offense under KRS Chapter 150.
[/font]
Effective:
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]July 12, 2006
[/font]
History:
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]Created 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 240, sec. 7, effective July 12, 2006.
[/font]
Does this section also apply to the Federal government?

N00blet45

imported post

jbradford1 did most of the work, I provided a little bit of the wording. You can print them out and just tri-fold them or leave them as is to be used as a flyer.

Here is the first part.