• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA takes interest in Texas open carry rights restoration project

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Just posted to their web iste: http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=11342

[align=center]Fight over open carry gun policy in Texas
[/align]
Imagine walking down the street and next to someone with a gun strapped to their hip. It`s an image a group of Texans are hoping to turn into reality and they`re gaining support by the thousands every day.

Read About It: KVUE

Posted: 7/25/2008 9:21:23 AM

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Balanced as far as opinions, but the Lennon-esque opening (Imagine...) is leaning a bit. It also doesn't help that they didn't even consult the Bradys; they found gun owners and instructors who were against open carry, and made the OC argument sound mostly rights-based (the na-nanny-boo-boo argument, IMO)without much discussion on practical advantages (far more convincing). There are better arguments for OC, and counter-arguments to pretty much everything the "no" interviewees said. But, the average news reader or watcher would not have gotten that from the article or report.

So, without further ado, here are the arguments presented against:

* OC will create the Wild Wild West - They said that about concealed carry as well. In fact, violent crime in the frontier days was virtually nonexistent, BECAUSE everyone from the sheriff to Granny was packing. Criminals want an easy target. The knowledge that you have a gun makes you a hard target and therefore likely to be left alone. I generalize here, but really anyone who tries this argument is getting their history from spaghetti westerns and not reality.

* Gun carry is a privilege, not a right - Go back and read the 2A again. "to keep arms" would translate to carry as well as ownership in today's parlance.

* A gun should not be used because someone called you a nasty name; only when you are in fear for your life - Never have truer words been spoken. So how does this support your anti-OC position?

* Unlicensed OC will give people the ability to carry without first having had the training - Oh, OK. I can see how that follows. However, this argument's implication is that someone, having not grown up around guns, will walk into a gun store the day after OC laws pass, buy a gun and a holster, and start walking around in public. Look at the 11 "gold-star states" and tell me that's likely to happen. Those who advocate open carry know the law, know when use of force is permissible, and know how and how not to use a gun.

* If OC ends up licensed, you might as well carry concealed - Concealed carry has its advantages, however so does OC. I bet I, with very little practice, canunholster and readyfromOC, even with a thumb break,faster than the instructor can ready his CC, even with the untucked shirt. It is also more comfortable; most CC is either IWB or with an untucked collared short over an undershirt. Neither is desireable when walking around outside in a Texas summer. It tops 100* and unlike Arizona we have the humidity to boot. It is also a visual deterrent to most criminals (though I am willing to entertain the argument that someone planning to rob a bank will be on the lookout for armed resistance). Its only real disadvantage is public reaction; sheep are "out of sight, out of mind" type creatures, and when a sheepdog bares his fangs they're startled and want the fangs to go away.

In fact, EVERY CHL holder should be pushing for at least licensed OC. Why? Because in Texas, intentional failure to conceal is aClass Amisdemeanor (if you get a hanging judge you can go to jail for 6 months), and it's a 5-year ban on having your CHL. On top of that, the definition of "intentional" as interpreted by case law is fuzzy; if a conscious and intended action by the CHL reveals the weapon, whether the CHL actually intendedto reveal it or not, the CHL holder "intentionally" failed to conceal. So,if you take off your overshirt because it's hotter than blue blazes, and someone spots your gun before you untuck your T-shirt, you are going to court and will probably lose. If OC were legal, there would be no such thing as an intentional failure to conceal, except if concealed but not OCed weapons were allowed. What CHLer doesn't want the relief of knowing they won't go to jail if they bend over and their shirt rides up showing their 4:00 carry?

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It was somewhat leaning but any fairly moderate coverage is still good coverage at this point. Getting it out in the open for people to talk about is a good thing.

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Well put Liko81. I think you have pretty much addressed all of the arguments I've heard against OC. Man, I am so sick of hearing people say "It'll be like the wild wild west!" What a load of garbage.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jarodm20 wrote:
Man, I am so sick of hearing people say "It'll be like the wild wild west!" What a load of garbage.
The sad part is that many who are saying that today about OC are "gun guys" who were calling it rubbish a few years ago when the antis used it against CC.

There are lot of folks who get some kind of satisfaction about being "better" than the "sheeple" cause they have their government permission slip. Spend an hour reading the posts on defensivecarry.com. 70% is about one step away from mall ninja. About three times/day someone posts "I got made" and then there's a three page debriefing on how to be more stealth-tac. At least 3 people will chime in with the ever-popular "concealed means concealed."

Unfortunately the battle is not just with the antis, but with the folks you'd think were solidly "in our camp." :(