• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flint Area School Employee Credit Union rescinds gun ban!

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

I sent a letter to my credit union a few weeks back and got a nice reply from a gentleman there who said they would be reviewing this policy in the near future and he said he would get back to me. As many of you know, FASECU was on the "Do not patronize list" here in Michigan because they had a sign at the doors of their credit unions stating no guns allowed, including legal CPL holders.

So, much to my surprize this morning, I got the following email from Mr. White...
==================================
Dear Mr. Stuckey,

We recently reviewed our ‘No Weapons Policy’ and it has been rescinded. Over the last several months, we have been examining our policies and procedures to determine what, if any, changes are necessary for the credit union to offer a competitive package of business services to our members. During our examination of each policy and procedure, some changes have been made. We have also surveyed our competitors regarding business services. To our knowledge, no other financial institution in the area has a similar policy and we believed it might hinder our ability to compete for business accounts. Therefore, all ‘No Weapons Policy’ signs have been removed from our offices. Since we have a number of items to complete prior to determining if we can offer a competitive array of business services, a final decision to offer business accounts will not be made until a later date. We appreciate and thank you for choosing the credit union for your financial needs. If you have any additional questions, please contact me.

Sincerely,

Patrick White
============================

Hurray for FASECU!!! Now, everyone who is a teacher in the Flint area, you need to let them know you approve and join up.

I don't know what they will do when someone shows up open carrying, but at least this is a huge step in the right direction.

Sincerely,
Graydon

RedKnightt

imported post

Could you post your letter here to use as a model? It was obviously effective, and I'm getting ready to start speaking with my credit union here in Virginia about removing thier "No Guns" signs.

Thanks, and great work!

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
Could you post your letter here to use as a model? It was obviously effective, and I'm getting ready to start speaking with my credit union here in Virginia about removing thier "No Guns" signs.

Thanks, and great work!

--RedKnightt--
Sure thing. I wouldn't say for certain that it was my letter that swayed their decision. I got the impression that they were considering this issue already but myletter may have helped. I'd like to think it did. I always try to be respectful and purposeful when I write a letter such as this. I deal in facts only, and do not dwell on the negative. Remember, they are trying to make a living and in many cases, the bottom line will often rule. You can't fault anyone for that.Mr. White's response to me this AM almost seems to corroborate this. It almost seemed like they made a business decisionto allow weapons in their branches. I give him big props for being prompt in answering my emails and getting back to me a few weeks later. Anyway, if it helps you write your letter, that is great. Here it is...

======================================================

Dear Sir/madamme,

I recently noticed a sign on the door of your Burton branch which forbids all weapons on the premises of FASECU including those carriedlegally bylicensed carriers of a Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL). Do you realise that this sign will be ignored by felons who carry weapons? Unfortunately, people who make extra spending money by taking it from others do not typically respect signs forbidding weapons on the premises. In fact, they target those establishments because they know that law-abiding citizens will certainly honor those signs andtherefore will be unarmed. The bad guy can reasonably expect zero resistance if he chooses to commit a crime in your establishment. You can be nearly 100% certain that if a criminal chooses to rob your establishment he will be successful and there will be a very good chance that lives will be lost or at least people will be injured.

On the other hand, if you allow legal concealed weapons in your establishment, the criminals will know that there is a very good chance that someone in your store will be carrying a legal concealed weapon and willtherefore have the training and the will to use it if absolutely necessary.And, that criminal, being basically a coward in the first place, will go to the next establishment, hoping for one with less inherent risk - one with a no-weapons sign in the front door.

A person who goes through the process to obtain a Concealed Pistol License in Michigan is one of the most law-abiding, clean-cut, citizens you can find. They must meet the following qualifications to obtain a CPL.

1. They must be free of felonies of any sort in any state
2. They must be free of most misdemeanorsforthe last8 years
3. they can not be subject to any court order limiting firearms possession
4. theymust not be dishonorably discharged from the military
5. they may not be subject to a personal protection order
6. they must not have any DUIs on their record (correction - within last 3 years)
7. the personmust be a US citizen or a legal resident alien
8. they must successfully complete an approved course of training (at least 8 hours) in the safe use and storage of firearms and ammunition, the legality of using lethal force in Michigan, situational awareness, avoiding confrontation if possible, correct procedures to take in the event of a severe personal threat, and the course must include at least 3 hours of firing rangetraining

How many of your customers could stand up to this sort of scrutiny? Would you like to know this much history about your customers?

I would like to urge you to change the policy as it is posted on your door to allow the legal carrying of concealed weapons by your customers. If there is no change in this policy, I will remove my account at FASECU and take it to another institution which does honor my CPL and I will urge all of my friends, neighbors and associates to do the same.

Sincerely,
===============================================

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

Greggy_D wrote:
6. they must not have any DUIs on their record

This isn't exactly correct. You cannot have a DUI (imparied OR intoxicated)during the previous 3 years.

I figured with all that detail there was a good chance I missed something. Will edit to show that.

Thanks,

Greggy_D

imported post

I guess I would not like to see "DUIs" stigmatized. Good people are getting impaired convictions on their records for the smallest indiscretion.

True story:

My friend and I met for a couple of beers in Novi after work one day. We were at the restaurant for about 90 minutes. Ryan was pulled over by Novi's finest exiting the restaurant. They had him do their stupid reindeer games (which you do NOT have to take) and had him blow (you can refuse the portable breathalyzer also). End result.....he blew a .04 from the two beers and was ARRESTED for impaired driving. From two beers. Ended up costing him nearly $5000 in lawyer fees and fines.

He needed to wait 3 years to get his CPL, all because of those two beers. I refuse to lump him in with the morons who blow .24 .

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

Sorry, but I would like to stigmatize DUIs as much as possible. People should not drink and drive or drink and carry, period. That sort of "indiscretion" is exactly the sort of thing that should disqualify someone from carrying, IMHO of course.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Graydon wrote:
I sent a letter to my credit union a few weeks back and got a nice reply from a gentleman there who said they would be reviewing this policy in the near future and he said he would get back to me. As many of you know, FASECU was on the "Do not patronize list" here in Michigan because they had a sign at the doors of their credit unions stating no guns allowed, including legal CPL holders.

So, much to my surprize this morning, I got the following email from Mr. White...
==================================
Dear Mr. Stuckey,

We recently reviewed our ‘No Weapons Policy’ and it has been rescinded. Over the last several months, we have been examining our policies and procedures to determine what, if any, changes are necessary for the credit union to offer a competitive package of business services to our members. During our examination of each policy and procedure, some changes have been made. We have also surveyed our competitors regarding business services. To our knowledge, no other financial institution in the area has a similar policy and we believed it might hinder our ability to compete for business accounts. Therefore, all ‘No Weapons Policy’ signs have been removed from our offices. Since we have a number of items to complete prior to determining if we can offer a competitive array of business services, a final decision to offer business accounts will not be made until a later date. We appreciate and thank you for choosing the credit union for your financial needs. If you have any additional questions, please contact me.

Sincerely,

Patrick White
============================

Hurray for FASECU!!! Now, everyone who is a teacher in the Flint area, you need to let them know you approve and join up.

I don't know what they will do when someone shows up open carrying, but at least this is a huge step in the right direction.

Sincerely,
Graydon
Good job Graydon.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Graydon wrote:
SNIP
Dear Sir/madamme,

I recently noticed a sign on the door of your Burton branch which forbids all weapons on the premises of FASECU including those carriedlegally bylicensed carriers of a Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL). Do you realise that this sign will be ignored by felons who carry weapons? Unfortunately, people who make extra spending money by taking it from others do not typically respect signs forbidding weapons on the premises. In fact, they target those establishments because they know that law-abiding citizens will certainly honor those signs andtherefore will be unarmed. The bad guy can reasonably expect zero resistance if he chooses to commit a crime in your establishment. You can be nearly 100% certain that if a criminal chooses to rob your establishment he will be successful and there will be a very good chance that lives will be lost or at least people will be injured.

On the other hand, if you allow legal concealed weapons in your establishment, the criminals will know that there is a very good chance that someone in your store will be carrying a legal concealed weapon and willtherefore have the training and the will to use it if absolutely necessary.And, that criminal, being basically a coward in the first place, will go to the next establishment, hoping for one with less inherent risk - one with a no-weapons sign in the front door.

A person who goes through the process to obtain a Concealed Pistol License in Michigan is one of the most law-abiding, clean-cut, citizens you can find. They must meet the following qualifications to obtain a CPL.

1. They must be free of felonies of any sort in any state
2. They must be free of most misdemeanorsforthe last8 years
3. they can not be subject to any court order limiting firearms possession
4. theymust not be dishonorably discharged from the military
5. they may not be subject to a personal protection order
6. they must not have any DUIs on their record (correction - within last 3 years)
7. the personmust be a US citizen or a legal resident alien
8. they must successfully complete an approved course of training (at least 8 hours) in the safe use and storage of firearms and ammunition, the legality of using lethal force in Michigan, situational awareness, avoiding confrontation if possible, correct procedures to take in the event of a severe personal threat, and the course must include at least 3 hours of firing rangetraining

How many of your customers could stand up to this sort of scrutiny? Would you like to know this much history about your customers?

I would like to urge you to change the policy as it is posted on your door to allow the legal carrying of concealed weapons by your customers. If there is no change in this policy, I will remove my account at FASECU and take it to another institution which does honor my CPL and I will urge all of my friends, neighbors and associates to do the same.

Sincerely,
===============================================
I would like to send this to Financial Plus Credit Union in Flint on Van Slyke Road to see what might transpire. However, MCRGO in the past has made attempts to get FPCU to remove their sign(s)...with no avail.