• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age Restrictions?

pilotguy

imported post

Hi everybody, I saw the story about Hastings this morning and am very interested.
I've always wanted to get a handgun and CCW. Right now I'm 20 years old, I'll be 21 in December. It looks like I have to be 21 to get the CCW. Is that correct? Also, I have to be 21 to purchase the gun also?

Any thoughts on waiting until 21 or any other way to get my new handgun? Any suggestions on what I should get?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

pilotguy wrote:
Hi everybody, I saw the story about Hastings this morning and am very interested.
I've always wanted to get a handgun and CCW. Right now I'm 20 years old, I'll be 21 in December. It looks like I have to be 21 to get the CCW. Is that correct? Also, I have to be 21 to purchase the gun also?

Any thoughts on waiting until 21 or any other way to get my new handgun? Any suggestions on what I should get?
You can buy/posses a gun from a private person at age 18. You will have to get a permit to purchase the gun and register it. You must be at least 21 to buy from a FFL dealer. You can open carry at 18 see caveat on OCing without a CPL (transporting firearm in a vehicle). You must be 21 or older to apply for a CPL.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

CPL = 21
OC = 18
purchase a gun from a FFL = 21
purchase a gun from a private individual = 18

As for any first gun, I always suggest a .22

Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot = more practice = more control and better accuracy = more gooder

pilotguy

imported post

Cool, thanks!

I see you are from lansing. I'm an MSU student, do you know of any local gun shops? Or, do you know anything about Cabelas, my parents live down that way and they seem to be pretty good.

Thanks

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

pilotguy wrote:
Cool, thanks!

I see you are from lansing. I'm an MSU student, do you know of any local gun shops? Or, do you know anything about Cabelas, my parents live down that way and they seem to be pretty good.

Thanks
Two gun shops in Lansing area, Classic Arms on Lake Lansing Rd. just west of Wood St. The other is Total Firearms in Halmart, etc.. But if you are under21 you could not buy from any of them as they are Federal Firearms License (FFL) dealers. You could be given agun as a gift, or buy it from someone that doesn't have an FFL. If your dad owned a handgunhe can sell it to you as long as he is not a FFL holder. Got it? This only applies to handguns. You can posses long guns at any age.

cmdio

imported post

cupcake wrote:
Heres the kicker, you must be 21 to buy handgun ammo.

I do know this, and it is no longer an issue as I am over 21, but I have always wondered about the fact that many rifles and carbines are chambered in handgun cartridges. I'm thinking of lever action rifles in .44 Mag or .357 Mag, and the high-point carbines in 9mm and .40, not to mention .22 LR (a very popular handgun and rifle cartridge). How does the purchase of these calibers work if one is not 21 years old? I've just always wondered.

cupcake

imported post

Beats me. You can also get handguns that fire rifle cartridges. A buddy of mine long ago was hired as a cop at 19yrs old. He had to get his mom to buy his range ammo because there is no exception to the law for LEOs. IIRC, his carry ammo was issued.

Michigander

imported post

If you own a rifle in a handgun caliber, you can buy ammo for it according to this senseless Federal law. Most big box stores don't know this, and operate under the better safe than sorry theory. But a regular gun shop will sell you ammo for your 1911 if you tell them it's for your Thompson semi auto. I'm not suggesting you break the law, nor am I suggesting you go out and buy a carbine. But, those are the facts.

Bronson

imported post

When I buy ammo at Wal-Mart they ask me "is this for a handgun". I'm assuming if someone said "no, it's for a rifle" Wal-Mart would sell it tothem if they wereunder 21.

Bronson

Michigander

imported post

Yes, they would. Rural ones know what they are talking about. Urban ones, the rare ones that still sell ammo, do not.

If you really want to get a clerk excited when they ask that, you can say "neither, it's for a machine gun"