• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Western UP Carry Event (Planning Stages)

Rob Washeleski

imported post

I would like to plan an OC outing in the Western UP, most likely in the Houghton/Hancock Area. A date for this would be in early September. Who is interested/can show up? Not necessarily a stroll downtown, just a cookout at a public beach or park. I will be dropping off the materials to the county and local police in the next week or two in preparation, and will probably stroll around town testing the water/educating the public.

-Rob

Krag

imported post

Keep us informed if the event comes off. I'm not far from Houghton-Hancock.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
I would like to plan an OC outing in the Western UP, most likely in the Houghton/Hancock Area. A date for this would be in early September. Who is interested/can show up? Not necessarily a stroll downtown, just a cookout at a public beach or park. I will be dropping off the materials to the county and local police in the next week or two in preparation, and will probably stroll around town testing the water/educating the public.

-Rob

Sounds like a good idea. Skip Coryell wants to do something in the UP, so maybe PM him and he can get the word out on other sites, including his.

The UP planning will be harder, because of the size of the area/distance between townsand a much sparser population. If you could get 10 people to show up that would be a success. More than 10, that's gravy man. Keep us posted. Also if you want help with press releases we have some here with experience in that.

Yooper

imported post

Venator wrote:
Rob Washeleski wrote:
The UP planning will be harder, because of the size of the area/distance between townsand a much sparser population. If you could get 10 people to show up that would be a success. More than 10, that's gravy man. Keep us posted. Also if you want help with press releases we have some here with experience in that.

It may be harder, but it may be easier. Remember, everybody and their brother has a gun up here. Even the "anti's" (I know, because they're my relatives) have a gun in their house.

If its on a saturday or sunday, I should be able to show up, plus I'm sure I can convince 2 others ( at least) to show up.

How about posting a notice in all the local post offices or grocery stores (Pat's, Festies, Econo)?

Rob Washeleski

imported post

Sorry for the slow response, things have been busy at work. I would like to get an event together, but I think we need about 10 people or so to make the commute worth it. I know one or two people around the Houghton/Hancock area, but that's it. Some of my friends with CPLs still don't believe me that it is legal to OC. I'll keep beating the brush.

-Rob

Rob Washeleski

imported post

I will be spreading the word at my pistol club and try to get as many people as I can to commit to a date for the picnic/BBQ. I will post more info as things solidify.

-Rob

Northern-Lights

imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:

-Rob

I'm interested, but it depends on the day. Once you get some more info up.....I'll be able to let you know if I can make it.

As Michigan Tech will be starting school again about that time....I'm wondering if Escanaba mightbe abettercity than Houghton for one of these this early on? Just a thought....butHoughton mightnot be the best idea for the first one up here in the U.P.

Rob Washeleski

imported post

Actually, I think Houghton would be a great first place. There are many, many students up here from all over who shoot and many have a CPL. I'm sure that even more would carry if they knew OC was legal. I am going to make a poster and put it in our pistol range that lays out the important points, along with flyers they can take with all the relevant websites and addresses.

Within the next month I should at the least have a date and location set. If things are anything like last year, myself plus the other range officers would make 10 people. As a bonus, I know some other people who are interested who may come. I'll keep you posted.

-Rob

Northern-Lights

imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
Actually, I think Houghton would be a great first place. There are many, many students up here from all over who shoot and many have a CPL. I'm sure that even more would carry if they knew OC was legal. I am going to make a poster and put it in our pistol range that lays out the important points, along with flyers they can take with all the relevant websites and addresses.

Within the next month I should at the least have a date and location set. If things are anything like last year, myself plus the other range officers would make 10 people. As a bonus, I know some other people who are interested who may come. I'll keep you posted.

-Rob
Excellant. Keep me posted, I'm most interested.