• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Is that a real gun?"

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Dropped some crap off at Good Will a couple days ago. Was out and about for most of the day running errands, and wearing comfortable clothes, so was OC.

Some guy walking down the sidewalk as we unloaded old furniture at Good Will stops, with the dumbest look ever on his face and blurts out, "Is that a real gun?"

My mom's friend whom I was helping with the furniture moving busted out laughing. She kept laughing for about 20 minutes.

Dumbass followed up with the somewhat more legit "Are you a cop?" but really, what posesses people to ask that question? Why would anyone have a fake gun on their hip? And it usually seems to be people who would have problems with the police asking if it's real- that general air of scumbag surrounds them, like they have reasons to be afraid of the police.

I definitely see a difference in how many people notice depending on the background colours I'm wearing. That day was a bright yellow t-shirt, where normally I wear darker colours and often black t-shirts. It seems to take quite a while in proximity before people even notice a glock against a dark shirt, and then it typically has to silhouette against a brighter background. People really don't notice a lot of their environment. Our ancestors cannot possibly have been this unobservant and still managed to feed and protect themselves.

David.Car

imported post

My only idea for a plausible explanation why people ask that question is because of how taboo guns have become in most of todays "modern society".

There are people out there that have gone their whole lives without seeing a gun except for television, and what is holstered on a police officers hip... The whole idea of a gun even existing outside of television and law enforcement just never occurs to some of these people.

To them it is almost like spotting a unicorn... You have seen them in pictures and tv but you NEVER expected to see one in real life...

just_a_car

imported post

David.Car wrote:
My only idea for a plausible explanation why people ask that question is because of how taboo guns have become in most of todays "modern society".

There are people out there that have gone their whole lives without seeing a gun except for television, and what is holstered on a police officers hip... The whole idea of a gun even existing outside of television and law enforcement just never occurs to some of these people.

To them it is almost like spotting a unicorn... You have seen them in pictures and tv but you NEVER expected to see one in real life...
+1.

But at the same time, I get the "is that a real gun?" question from gun-owners/CC'ers; that always makes me twitch in disbelief.

Bear 45/70

imported post

You know what's interesting about this subject is that originally in this country everyone but a few oddballs Open Carried. Then in towns they decide that Open Carry was a problem somehow and wrote laws requiring Concealed Carry. Then some nitwit decide to carry concealed you needed a permit. So they created a situation, where OC is wrong and then decide you can't do what they require without their permission. So we come to today, when most people haven't a clue about the origins of OC or the history of this country even though TV and movies show it all the time and why CC came about. They have become use to only cops having a gun that they can't concieve of anyone but a cop would have a gun. It's a sad, sad circumstance for sure.

just_a_car

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I'm thinking another factor in all this is the popularity of air soft.
Hadn't thought of it that way, but you're onto something.

I own a couple airsoft guns myself (a Berreta M9 and an HK MP5) and both look very real; the only difference is the orange tip on them. That can be painted over and most certainly can be covered with a holster.

As an example, here's my real CETME rifle with my airsoft MP5 (and the retractable stock is fully functional on both):

Izzle

imported post

I had a guy at a gas station say the same "Is that a REAL gun?" and the classic follow up "are you a cop." Really the only run in I have had so far.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When a citizen sees someone with a gun and wants to ask about it what is the proper opening question? Personally I am ok with "is that a real gun?". It may not be well thought out but at least it is not filled with animosity. It is how you respond that sets the tone of the encounter. Most of the timesuch a questionturns out to be a good opportunity to explain OC and pass out a pamphlet or two. Remember a dumb question is only dumb to those in the know for everyone else it is a request for information.

Machoduck

imported post

irfner wrote:
When a citizen sees someone with a gun and wants to ask about it what is the proper opening question? Personally I am ok with "is that a real gun?". It may not be well thought out but at least it is not filled with animosity. It is how you respond that sets the tone of the encounter. Most of the timesuch a questionturns out to be a good opportunity to explain OC and pass out a pamphlet or two. Remember a dumb question is only dumb to those in the know for everyone else it is a request for information.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! You get the prize, Irfner, whatever it is.

MD

compmanio365

imported post

I had a similar situation in Walmart recently, I had a group of younger adults that were in the hunting/fishing section, looking at airsoft guns, and one of them noticed I was carrying. He asked "Speaking of airsoft, is that what you are carrying?" I couldn't help but chuckle, and turned to him and said, "No sir, this here is the real deal, all steel." Told him it was a 1911 in .45, and their reaction was pretty much, "Wow, is that legal?" Didn't have any pamphlets with me, but told them about how OC was legal, didn't need a CCW permit except when carrying in a car, if you wanted to conceal, you did need a CCW. Ended up being a good experience, the checker at the gun counter got into the conversation, found out he was in Korea/Vietnam, he said he kept a gun at home, but didn't carry it much.....all in all a good encounter, and hopefully we have a couple people that will OC once they turn 21......

Nosrac

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
irfner wrote:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! You get the prize, Irfner, whatever it is.

MD
I usually just ask,"what are you carrying?" I've only had favorable responses. I think it'sa non threatning question and shows the wearer that you have an interest in firearms. Of course, I guess with the wrong body language and tone inflection one could screw it up.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
thebastidge wrote:
"Is that a real gun?"

No. I'm just glad to see you ;)
RoflLg.gif