• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Home Depot in Roanoke

Ghettokracker71

imported post

ThunderRanch wrote:
I still like the "Mr Manager? That person over there keeps passing gas and it makes me uncomfortable. Would you please ask him (or her) to leave?" :celebrateOr perhaps "Mr Manager? The fact that I can see that person's underwear due to their wearing of their pants below the belt line is making me uncomfortable. Would please ask him to leave?"

If they're not willing to do that, they're discriminating aginst you!!
haha, amen. But underpants isn't an evil black gun! I'd be so tempted to go print up the local laws regaurding the legal opencarry of a firearm,and print the email, and go back up there asking for this "david" guy.

I'm one of 4 managers that run an entire automotive service facitlity , I'm often going back and forth through the lobby/waiting areas, last time I saw a customer OC in my business, I complimented the beautiful pearl handles on his 1911,and we lightly chatted about his favorite Colts,and the Para I really want.

Tosta Dojen

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Tosta Dojen have you had any furtherresolution or reply to your incident at Home Depot in Roanoke? Inquiring minds want to know....
I didn't get the call from the district manager I was told to expect, so last night I called the customer care line again. The lady who answered, Johanna, couldn't tell me why I hadn't received a call, and could only put my case in to the follow-up team, which would get back to me in "24 to 78 business hours."

I hadn't counted on getting a return call, though; on Tuesday I sent an e-mail describing the issue to three executives:
  • Frank Blake, Chairman and CEO
  • Paul Raines, Executive Vice President, US Stores
  • Joe Izganics, President, Southern Division
I received the following e-mail today:
Dear Mr. *********,

Frank Blake asked me to respond to your note to him. I am the Southern Division President for the Home Depot stores that include the stores in the State of Virginia. I apologize for the treatment you experienced in our store.

The Home Depot respects the law of Virginia governing a citizen's right to carry a firearm. I will personally reach out to the Store Manager where you were shopping and explain the law and our customers' rights to him.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Sincerely,

Joe Izganics

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

D-A-N-G ! Well it sounds like the leverage was just what was needed to resolve this situation. There's a Home Depot store manager up in Ohio causing an issue posted in the Ohio forum who may just need this sort of message sent to him. Thanks for the follow up Tosta Dojen!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Yeah - good work - it is a delicate balance - never ask permission - sometimes ignore weird employees' comments and just carry again later - and sometime followup with regional managers to get stores corrected - some risk - but sometimes worth it.

Tosta Dojen

imported post

I finally made it back to the store on Saturday. I needed to pick up a section of rain gutter and dispose of a burned-out fluorescent bulb. I wasn't in the store for very long; only about five minutes, but I was armed as I always am, and nobody said anything to me. There are still no signs posted at the entrance.

spunk

imported post

Aren't you supposed to have a permit to even carry a weapon legally in public?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

spunk wrote:
No idea what state you are in - you don't show it in your profile - different laws for each state.

Suggest that you read a bit, look at OCDO maps and get some general knowledge that way first - its easy and quick.

Yata hey

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
spunk wrote:
No.

Welcome to the forum, but based on your question you might want to read some more before posting.
Easy Hawk. We've been doing this for a while. Some people are new to the game. :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
spunk wrote:
No.

Welcome to the forum, but based on your question you might want to read some more before posting.
Easy Hawk. We've been doing this for a while. Some people are new to the game. :)
Hey I'm not ticked, just succinct for a change

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
spunk wrote:
No.

Yeah, and I think that is where you lost us, BGL. :p

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
spunk wrote:
No.

Yeah, and I think that is where you lost us, BGL. :p

Buy them books and buy them books....

Spunk, AS you can probably tell, my brief response to you was viewed by my peers as too brief and therefor too terse. Please ignore my previous response and let me be one of the first to welcome you to OCDO. Feel free to browse the forum. I think you will find a mountain of worthwhile and important information posted in the threads here. Many of the regular members are quite knowledgeable in wide ranging areas concerning firearms. Please feel free to ask questions of the membership.

I would suggest (just a suggestion mind you) that for the more basic questions such as the one you posted, there may already be an answer available among the vast archive of threads already here. To assist you, the forum has a search function located at the top of the page.

Also please note the links at the top of the page to resources such as the "Maps". The maps provide an overview of the laws for each state and that may be of use to you. This brings me to another point. You may wish to update your profile to reflect the state you are living in, as this will often help other members in responding to your questions.

For example the question you posed here,
Is somewhat dependant on your location. For large cities like New York, Los Angles and Chicago you would indeed require permission for the government to carry a handgun in public if you can get permission. In areas like Vermont, Virginia and many other states you may carry a sidearm openly without state permission.

I would note in passing that since this forum is about Open Carry of firearms, you question may have already been asked and answered in many different ways. It might be possible to search the forum for the answer that applies to your particular state, if you do not want to provide the information.

In any case welcome to OCDO.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

+1 good last post hawkflyer. I might save that one and link it to newbies I could have used that post when I first joined...and I still am new , and had almost taken offense by a similar comment that you had first posted, and almost didn't come back, but had learned the poster only meant the same thing as you just stated.

+1 To the OP of this post on a job well done. I was just wondering about Home Depots open carry policy. NOw I know.