• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in williamsburg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
Im headed to williamsburg(not the colonial part) & JCC tomarrow.Will be OCing.Has anyone had any experiences there.I wana test the waters there.

I've OC'd in the area of W&M, but not on campus, and in the government center, the public library, and the W'msburg police station. Lots of :(, :X, :?, :shock:, and :what:from citizens in and out of uniform, but not a peep was said to me. That may have had something to do with what I was wearing (did you know that some folks think the VCDL patch on the polo shirt looks like a badge?) as much as it did my acting as if there was nothing to be concerned about.

Looking forward to your report. Remember to slather on the sun screen - it's gonna be a hot one.

stay safe.

skidmark

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

skidmark wrote:
1000ydshooter wrote:
Im headed to williamsburg(not the colonial part) & JCC tomarrow.Will be OCing.Has anyone had any experiences there.I wana test the waters there.

I've OC'd in the area of W&M, but not on campus, and in the government center, the public library, and the W'msburg police station. Lots of :(, :X, :?, :shock:, and :what:from citizens in and out of uniform, but not a peep was said to me. That may have had something to do with what I was wearing (did you know that some folks think the VCDL patch on the polo shirt looks like a badge?) as much as it did my acting as if there was nothing to be concerned about.

Looking forward to your report. Remember to slather on the sun screen - it's gonna be a hot one.

stay safe.

skidmark
Do you think the looks could be due to the fact that Williamsburg is a national treasure and many of those folks could be non-Virginians and therefore not accustomed to a gun-friendly state? Kinda funny when you think of Williamsburg as being one the primary centers of American liberty.

OBXMIKE

imported post

I OC'd there at the outlet malls last year right around Thanksgiving with the wife and kids. The place was packed. I got a couple of stares, and a thumbs-up from a big burly biker looking dude, but no trouble.

I've also eaten at Red Hot and Blue (BBQ joint), Olive Garden, and Shackleford's (really good place to eat, btw) all without incident.

Wife's mom lives there so we're in the area at least once a month.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Just remember that the Colonial Parkway is a National Park property.

I was there recently, OC'd at my hotel (Days Inn), a Wendys, and at Pierce's BBQ (Packed with tourists in condition white, totally oblivious).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've read that story before. It is just too cool. Every time it pops back up I have a nearly overwhelming urge to jump in the car and take a trip to CW.

Grahf

imported post

Sorry I didn't see this topic sooner. I live in the Williamsburg area and open carry fairly often. I've never had a problem in the area at any of the restaurants or in any of the stores.

Since you mentioned going to Peking, that's actually one of the restaurants that my wife and I used to frequent (hard to visit there now that we're both on a diet). We would go almost every week and as such the owner got to know us. He actually came over once and told me that since they have a lot of tourists, that when I've been in there he gets called over sometimes by people who are concerned. He said he just tells them that I come in there all the time and it's fine. Peking is definitely a great restaurant and should be visited whenever you come to Williamsburg

mellman

imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
OOOPS!! Sorry didnt realize how that sounded.Got "nice peace" comment from cute waitress.Refering to my glock.Sorry !!:uhoh:
lol you had the right word/spelling the first time....you just left out the quotes and part about it being a comment from the waitress...however i was hoping for the story about getting a nice piece from the waitress ;)

Bullbuster

imported post

Speaking of Williamsburg can one OC to the Colonial area. Been their with the wife and kids and looking to go back in Sep. Just not sure if its ok in the historic settlement/ tourist area.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
Speaking of Williamsburg can one OC to the Colonial area. Been their with the wife and kids and looking to go back in Sep. Just not sure if its ok in the historic settlement/ tourist area.

As previously posted:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=691&forum_id=54
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=691&forum_id=54That ought to be taught in every history/civics class in the country.

stay safe.

skidmark

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

mellman wrote:
1000ydshooter wrote:
OOOPS!! Sorry didnt realize how that sounded.Got "nice peace" comment from cute waitress.Refering to my glock.Sorry !!:uhoh:
lol you had the right word/spelling the first time....you just left out the quotes and part about it being a comment from the waitress...however i was hoping for the story about getting a nice piece from the waitress ;)

This isnt really appropriate conversation for our forum and our mission. Next thing ya know, we'll all be dining at Hooters.

:)

67GT390FB

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
mellman wrote:
1000ydshooter wrote:

This isnt really appropriate conversation for our forum and our mission. Next thing ya know, we'll all be dining at Hooters.

:)

Really?? Is this really coming from the guy who was first to go "oooh....oooh...me...too...save me a seat" in the chantilly gun show thread when told of a lunch there during the show. Though I supposeone could see the difference between an informal lunch invite and an organized Open Carry Dine-Out it is nice to see you're learning how to be an adult.

It's also nice to know thatour residentfirearms instructor is such a mature responsible individual that he would be above offeringpetty snide comments in response to a discussion that is now a month old.

So run along now, be a good little boy,and do some more free advertising on Mike and John's dime.

Joe

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

skidmark wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
Really?? [and a bunch more.]
Nicely played, sir. Nicely played, indeed.

stay safe.

skidmark
Tennis anyone? :quirky

Have OCd throughout Williamsburg, the Colonial section and walking across campus. It was 2-3 years ago but we experienced no problems whatsoever.

Yata hey

Bullbuster

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Bullbuster wrote:

As previously posted:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=691&forum_id=54
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=691&forum_id=54That ought to be taught in every history/civics class in the country.

stay safe.

skidmark

With a big :DI'd have to say I'll be strutting the streets in protest of the king and queen.