• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Tennessee from Washington State

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

What are the rules carrying in the airport? I know nothing past the secure area but what about in the main terminal & car rental area? I can't seem to find anything. Here in Washington we can OC / CC anwhere outside of the secure areas.

falcon1

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
What are the rules carrying in the airport? I know nothing past the secure area but what about in the main terminal & car rental area? I can't seem to find anything. Here in Washington we can OC / CC anwhere outside of the secure areas.
The following items from Tennessee Code Annotated would appear to be relevant:

39-17-1305. Possession of firearm where alcoholic beverages are served. —

(a) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption.

(b) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

39-17-1359. Prohibition at certain meetings — Posting notice. —

(a) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by §§ 39-17-1351 — 39-17-1360, at meetings conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of the prohibition shall be posted. Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of the property as well as within the confines of a building located on the property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

(b) Nothing in this section shall be construed to alter, reduce or eliminate any civil or criminal liability that a property owner or manager may have for injuries arising on their property.

(c) Any posted notice being used by a local, state or federal governmental entity on July 1, 2000, that is in substantial compliance with the provisions of subsection (a) of this section may continue to be used by the governmental entity.

If alcoholic beverages are served at a "sky bar" in the general-access area of the terminal to which you are traveling, someone might decide that the entire area was off-limits?

If the non-secure area of the terminal has signs posted with language "substantially similar" to what is above (whatever that means), the area is off-limits.

Please note that, in Tennessee, in order to carry openly or concealed, you must have a permit. Tennessee does honor facially valid permits issued by all other states.

I am not a lawyer, so this is not legal advice. If I have erred anywhere, I am certain someone will chime in. For a relatively gun-friendly state, Tennessee has some quirky/sometimes-downright-confusing laws when it comes to carrying firearms. :banghead:

Enjoy your visit to Tennessee!!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

thanks for the info. Very weird law... just becasue alcohol is being served in a seperate part of facility they can block the whole facility?? It looks like I'll just holster up after I get the rental car. At least Washington has the alcohol issue covered. If the area is off limits to under 21 then you can't carry.

Al least I'm only driving through the state......

falcon1

imported post

Not necessarily that they will ban carry in the non-secure area if there are sky bars present, just that they might.

ProguninTN

imported post

I don't know which airport you're traveling through, but I know for a fact Nashville International (BNA) is legally posted.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
I don't know which airport you're traveling through, but I know for a fact Nashville International (BNA) is legally posted.

I looked for signs at the rental car area as I left and saw none. The only no weapons signs I saw so far on my trip was at the mall here in Madisonville, KY and while visiting KY dam.
I'll keep an eye out for signs on my way back into the airport (BNA).

ProguninTN

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
ProguninTN wrote:

I looked for signs at the rental car area as I left and saw none. The only no weapons signs I saw so far on my trip was at the mall here in Madisonville, KY and while visiting KY dam.
I'll keep an eye out for signs on my way back into the airport (BNA).

They're supposed to be posted at all entrances according to state law, but they might not be. I know the entrance near the parking areas is posted. I observed the sign recently while picking up family who was visiting.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Since I got to the airport 5 hours early today I went looking for the signs... Its amazing how one can carry legally in one state and be oh so in trouble in another.

Had a great trip except for the funeral. Not one issue with OC the entire time.