• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local Chapter Website

imported post

Ok, I sent a few of you private messages for suggestions on what the proper chapter name of our group should be. I made some suggestions.

While I don't wish to publish the name publicly because of Cybersquatters that moniter for these types of thing, and to prevent bots from crawling the site and then register the domain, so they can hold it hostage for a high fee. please submit your suggestions are arguments in this post.

while one user suggested Idaho Citizens defence league dot org, one also suggested that use of the word Defense may send the wrong signal to some people. and I some how feel this would suggest a Vigilate group, which we all know we are not.

I am leaning towards Open Carry Idaho dot org

so post your suggestions in the format above.

if you have better ideas or suggestions. please use Moniker.com to check the avaiablity of the domain. please do not use other domain registrars such as GoDaddy.com or NetworkSolutions.com AKA NSI.com as they actively engage in Domain Sniffing/Sampling and will steal our domain if you or one of use do not register it with in several mins.

so lets hear the suggestions and arguments. once we all agree on a proper domain name. I'll reg it, set up a blog, and vBulletin board, set up forums, permissions for admins and Special access forums not viewable by the public, unless they verified active members.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Idaho Citizens Defense League is different than the local OCDO group. Two separate entities, the ICDL being larger and encompassing members from other groups such as boiseshooters.com.

We need ideas on both really I suppose.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

opencarryidaho works for me for a local group website. Just go ahead and form it and take charge of this aspect, everyone else will follow suit. :) We have faith in you man.

Hiredgun30

imported post

I am not sure if everyone has heard this yet, but since DC. VS. Heller ,
the ACLU has started representing gun owners. I have contacted ACLU in idaho to get written statement from them so i can post.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I would happen to agree. The founding committee is meeting Saturday to hammer out the details. One of the details is the organizations name. Once we're agreed on that, it shouldn't be hard to pick a domain name.

imported post

knaight wrote:
Try idahocdl (dot) com.

Best domain name I have found so far.

-Knaight
for an organization name its best to get a .org. (legal reasons) when we settle on a name, I'll also reg the .com version and redirect it to the .org site

BrianEMT

imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:
including cdl in a web address makes it sound like a truckers website.
CDL= commerical drivers licence..just an observation..
That's exactly why I didn't like it too...besides people might confuse it too...

I'm still in on: www.opencarryidaho.(whatever)

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Brian, I'd agree with you if we were forming an OC specific group. Why don't you guys try throwing out some suggestions for naming the organization itself, and we'll let 563 find a domain name based on that?
Possible suggestions?
[align=left] Idaho Citizens Defense League
[/align] [align=left] Idaho Citizens Rights League
[/align] [align=left] Idaho Citizens League of Rights
[/align] [align=left] Idaho Citizens for People's Rights[/align] [align=left] Idaho Coalition for Self Defense Rights[/align] [align=left] Idaho Coalition for the Preservation of Self Defense Rights[/align] [align=left] Idaho Firearms Advancement Coalition[/align][align=left]Idaho Patriots[/align][align=left]Rednecks with Guns (just making sure you're paying attention...)
[/align]

Navajo

imported post

Idaho Citizens SelfDefense League ICSDL

Make it sound less scary to the anti-gun Nazi's.

Plus better defines what we are doing and about.

Plus it isn't CDL which is what bugged me about the other name, but I counldn't place what it was that bugged me.

This one has LDS spelled backwards:shock:, now that may freak some people out.....( I not LDS):)

Navajo

imported post

That would be "Rednecks and Injuns with Guns" if you please...;)

knaight

imported post

563 wrote:
knaight wrote:
Try idahocdl (dot) com.

Best domain name I have found so far.

-Knaight
for an organization name its best to get a .org. (legal reasons) when we settle on a name, I'll also reg the .com version and redirect it to the .org site
Can you inform me of the legal reasons to get a .org?

All I know is that when a user is typing in a domain that they may not remember they will always default to .com. It is statistically proven that .com's will get more traffic than any other extension.

Now in some circumstances I do use other domains, but if a .com is available ALWAYS make it your primary domain.

After designing about 100 websites that is just my two cents. Be happy to change my mind if someone can show me otherwise.

imported post

knaight wrote:
All I know is that when a user is typing in a domain that they may not remember they will always default to .com. It is statistically proven that .com's will get more traffic than any other extension.
I'm very aware of the power of dot com domains, it's how I make my living off the 4000+ domains I own.

knaight

imported post

Sweet! Sounds like we have some great talent in this group. I am looking forward to what we can come up with!

With those kind of domain numbers, whatever you have on why .org is better I would love to hear.

Cheers!

-Knaight