Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCd into Taylorsville PD

Post imported post

I had to get some fingerprints for a job and paid a visit to the local PD for them. Carried my Kimber Classic Custom in a Blackhawk Serpa and guess what happened....

...Nothing...

...at least nothing out of the ordinary. Got printed, paid for them and walked out. No comments, no google eyes, nothing.

Post imported post

Wow - Walked right into the lions den, eh? :celebrate

Post imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    Wow - Walked right into the lions den, eh? :celebrate
    hehe. They probably just thought he was one of them in plain clothes.

If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

Francis Marion wrote:
    I had to get some fingerprints for a job and paid a visit to the local PD for them. Carried my Kimber Classic Custom in a Blackhawk Serpa and guess what happened....

...Nothing...

...at least nothing out of the ordinary. Got printed, paid for them and walked out. No comments, no google eyes, nothing.
    FM, You my Dear Friend has MUCH bigger ones than I do. You are my new hero. INTO THE PD :what:.

Holy Smokes.

TJ

Post imported post

Glad that worked for ya!

Post imported post

Been there, done that. Santaquin police department did a firearms safety course one evening in their PD. So packingmama and I took the kids, and the Glocks, and got some cool Eddie Eagle stuff for Sierra.

The Santaquin police chief was sitting right in front of us. He asked us if that was our normal mode of carry, or just for the class. We responded that it was normal to see the both of us open carry. He just smiled, and then started talking about some idiot that tried to sell him an alarm for his house. I guess the salesman made up a bunch of crime stats for Santaquin, and the chief called him on his bluff!
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    FM, You my Dear Friend has MUCH bigger ones than I do. You are my new hero. INTO THE PD :what:.

Holy Smokes.
    You think that is nerve racking??? Try taking your kid to school, while open carrying. I walked my daughter and my Glock to her class a few times. I wish I had a heart rate monitor to record that one. But, as I predicted, there was no problems! :celebrate
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

Theres a coffee shop (Coffee Creations) up near the crossroads in Saratoga..its a TOTAL 120% 'copshop' - anyway, i walked right in there one day and behind me, walks in about 4 cops. I just about dropped my credit card when i was paying for my Chai. lol. Nervous i guess.

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:

Holy Smokes.
    You think that is nerve racking??? Try taking your kid to school, while open carrying. I walked my daughter and my Glock to her class a few times. I wish I had a heart rate monitor to record that one. But, as I predicted, there was no problems! :celebrate
    That would have made me nervous too.

TJ

Post imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    Theres a coffee shop (Coffee Creations) up near the crossroads in Saratoga..its a TOTAL 120% 'copshop' - anyway, i walked right in there one day and behind me, walks in about 4 cops. I just about dropped my credit card when i was paying for my Chai. lol. Nervous i guess.
    Coffee Creations is owned by Cindy and Jory, friends of mine. Jory is a Utah County Sheriff, this is why there is usually a lot of sheriffs there. This business is very firearm friendly, but some of the LEO's hanging out there may not be. I even saw Cindy open carry her Glock 27 while working one day.

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    Coffee Creations is owned by Cindy and Jory, friends of mine. Jory is a Utah County Sheriff, this is why there is usually a lot of sheriffs there. This business is very firearm friendly, but some of the LEO's hanging out there may not be. I even saw Cindy open carry her Glock 27 while working one day.
    I would like to visit this location. Do theyserve morethan just coffee?

I might go there on my 10 year anniversary here in the country in 2 weeks:celebrate. OCing 2 guns. Shoulder holster (S&W 4006) AND Right strong side Kimber in a Serpa with a Benelli on the back going down for some shooting, Maybe my Henry 44Mag on the back too.

TJ

Post imported post

They serve coffee, smoothies, tea... any kind of drink that probably costs more than it should! :P

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    I might go there on my 10 year anniversary here in the country in 2 weeks:celebrate. OCing 2 guns. Shoulder holster (S&W 4006) AND Right strong side Kimber in a Serpa with a Benelli on the back going down for some shooting, Maybe my Henry 44Mag on the back too.

TJ
    That is 3, maybe 4 guns. Not two.

Good luck sitting down with the long guns on your back. Maybe you could lean in a corner. :P

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    They serve coffee, smoothies, tea... any kind of drink that probably costs more than it should! :P
    MaybeI can splurge. $1 for every year I have been here.

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:

TJ
    That is 3, maybe 4 guns. Not two.

Good luck sitting down with the long guns on your back. Maybe you could lean in a corner. :P
    Sorry I meant OCing 2 GUNS and 2 Rifles. I might even take the 44Mag Ruger.

All this while riding a BIKE:celebrate.

TJ

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    ... into the Taylorsville PD. Got it. :P

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    THAT would be exciting:shock:...:what:.

TJ

Post imported post

Post imported post

sfemti33 wrote:
    Francis Marion wrote:

...Nothing...

I know several of the TVPD officers very well, family gatherings and all that. Most of them are very firearm friendly as long as you are doing it legally. I know that about 6 months ago there was someone OCing in the Albertsons off of 4700 S Redwood(anyone on this board?)and they got a call about it. After talking to him, they let him go. From the officers view, he told me "Im not about to step on someones 2nd amendment rights". So be proud that TVPD is more understanding then some other agencies.
    I OC all the time at the Albertsons over on 3500 S & 3600 W. I had a good experience with 3 officers.

TJ

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    SGT Jensen wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    THAT would be exciting:shock:...:what:.

TJ
    I want to hear about you doing that into the West Valley PD. Now there's an After Action Report that would make good reading...

Post imported post

Hi! I'm "new" to this site, though I've been lurking around for months now, dropping by to read only every month or so. I'm a very active member over on the sister-forum, http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com, so I'm sure some of you will recognize me. I have no intention of becoming highly active here but that's only b/c I'm a CC'er not an OC'er. Now, that being said, I love OC'ing and have been inclined to occasionally OC though I haven't yet. I firmly support OC'ing when done with an "ambassador" mind-set and have posted much support of OC'ing over at UCC. In fact, while I consider CC'ing to carry a political message, I give much more credit (and THANKS!) to you guys that OC since it makes the message that much stronger. So, THANK YOU TO ALL YOU GUYS FOR YOUR BRAVERY -- it helps to maintain MY 2A rights when YOU OC, and I love that! (please, I just hope we all remember to do it with an "ambassador" mentality -- we're trying to CONVERT, not offend).

OK, anyways, that was just a brief intro.

In regards to the thread... I'm not condemning the actions of the OP. Hardly. But I'm pretty sure what he did was illegal and he just got very lucky that all the LEO's there must've just thought he was one of them. The Taylorsville PD is part of the courthouse and at the entrance they have clear signage indicating that entering with firearms is prohibited.

Now, I could be wrong... this is just how I understand the law. Please don't crucify me as I'm not targeting this as an anti-OC'er or anything else like that... just trying to save someone some grief... if I'm wrong, please just explain to me why I am wrong... I refer to the following Utah Code: http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_08_031101.htm

76-8-311.1. Secure areas -- Items prohibited -- Penalty.
    (2) (a) A person in charge of a...law enforcement... facility may establish secure areas within the facility and may prohibit or control by rule any firearm...
    (3) At least one notice shall be prominently displayed at each entrance...

Granted, from what I've seen when I'm there I think they are ignoring (and thus violating) this portion of the law:

(4) (a) Provisions shall be made to provide a secure weapons storage area so that persons entering the secure area may store their weapons prior to entering the secure area.
    But somehow I don't think a judge or LEO would consider that justification for packing inside the Taylorsville PD.

Again, I could be wrong... but from my reading of the law, I think packing inside the Taylorsville PD to be a very bad idea

Post imported post

Hey bane! Welcome to the non-dark side.

I have carried into a few police stations, city buildings, and such that also contain a courthouse. I have never been hassled for this. Usually, the secure area does not begin until you get near the court room. Kinda like the airport... I open carry there, but not past the security checkpoint.

Now there are some buildings that have been designated as nothing but a courthouse, such as the Utah County Court in Provo. The metal detectors are installed right at the entrance, so the entire building is off limits to carry.

So, in my opinion, these multipurpose buildings are fair game until you reach a security checkpoint. However, that does not mean I am right, maybe just lucky. I will make a phone call to Mitch Vilos, and get his opinion on this subject.

Post imported post

Hey, SGT, thanks for the welcome!

I think in general, you are correct. I replied (probably not quite clearly enough) to this thread b/c the TVPD is also my PD and I have been there several times and their signs are at the very entrance to the building... which, according to the law I cite, they are allowed to regulate because it is a law enforcement area (not only a court). In other words, my throwing in the fact that it contains a court is really irrelevant I think (sorry I did, it just muddied the water). The real fact, as I see it, is that if you remove the court from the building and it were nothing BUT a PD, they can still prohibit firearms in there... which TVPD has clearly done with their sign at the entrance.

That is, unless I am mis-understanding the law I cited... ???

Post imported post

The Tville city offices are multi use. If you enter through the main doors there is a reception desk and stairwell directly in front of you. You have to walk left around the stairwell then turn right and you can see the security checkpoint for the courtroom. Guns are obvioiusly off limits there. The police department in in the basement and, although you can enter from the main floor using the elevator, the best access is from a door to the left of and bellow the main entrance.

There is no prohibition on carrying in other parts of the building.

Post imported post

bane wrote:
    Now, I could be wrong... this is just how I understand the law. Please don't crucify me as I'm not targeting this as an anti-OC'er or anything else like that... just trying to save someone some grief... if I'm wrong, please just explain to me why I am wrong... I refer to the following Utah Code: http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_08_031101.htm

76-8-311.1. Secure areas -- Items prohibited -- Penalty.
    (2) (a) A person in charge of a...law enforcement... facility may establish secure areas within the facility and may prohibit or control by rule any firearm...
    (3) At least one notice shall be prominently displayed at each entrance...

Granted, from what I've seen when I'm there I think they are ignoring (and thus violating) this portion of the law:

(4) (a) Provisions shall be made to provide a secure weapons storage area so that persons entering the secure area may store their weapons prior to entering the secure area.
    Here is how I read it. The law states that they may establish a secure area within the facility. It does not say they may designate the entire building as secure. They should also provide storage, but some places refuse to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast