• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I just UOC'ed in California

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Well, I just got back from my trip through California. UOC'ed everywhere that I did not reasonably believe was a school zone. I had an unloaded Beretta withtwo 10 round magazines on the belt.

My experience was that the people in California generally didn't take any issue to it.

In Redding, at a gas station, as the vehicle was filling up a guy on a motorcycle noticed.

He said: "Is it loaded?"

I said: "Nope"

He said: "Where do you go shooting around here?"

I said: "I don't know I'm actually from Reno."

Then he evenasks "Why don't (the other occupants ofthe vehicle) have a gun?", before he leaves, and says good bye. (Otheroccupant responded saying basically that it was my hobby.) Inside the gas station quikimart, no issues, just ahello.

In Arcata, when Iwent into the Quality Inn, the guy at the counter was looking at me as if he was a bit concerned while talking, and eventually he points at my gun and says,

"Are you with Law Enforcement?"

I say "No. It's unloaded therefore it's legal."

He then says, "I know, but you shouldn't carry guns into businesses because it makes them uncomfortable"

I don't say much to that, maybe "oh" or something, waiting for him to tell me that it was against their policies or something, but he never said anything and I got my room just fine.

I also spent probably at least half of an hour in Target both while UOC and with a chihuaha. No problems whatsoever from anybody that worked there nor any customers, and nobody had the slightest bit of concern on their face that I noticed. When I was in the process of buying the items, a lady who worked there informed me that only service dogs were allowed and next time I shouldn't bring a dog, but that's it.

Also, along the trip, I stopped at a couple of other gas stations at a few various smaller places and in Susanville. And at a few scenic outlooks off the side of the road that other people were at and other very small stops.

It was a fun trip. Lots of smoke though in some areas due to the fires.

Decoligny

imported post

Just tell them it's your companion dog to help with your social anxiety disorder. Here in California it is illegal for them to require any proof that your dog is actually a service dog. If you say it is, then legally it is.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

But the inn was in Arcata. Very interesting about the dog laws in California! I didn't know that. Maybe I'll have to try that ;)