• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I wonder if The Library is now free to carry in?

G

imported post

Hi all, I went to the Library here in Idaho Falls today, and noticed they no longer have their signs up about how its a "crime to carry weapons, explosives, incendiary......blah, blah" up in the window anymore.

I wonder if its from the new law, stating that local governments cannot restrict anything, anymore than the state does. Any idears??
My impression was that the locals couldn't pass a "D.C."-style ban, and that was all the law was about.

Navajo

imported post

I was in the main Boise Library last week with the wife and kids and had no problems.

Of course I have now been told I look like a cop:uhoh:

I always recommend you dress neat and clean and don't go looking like a punk kid looking to stir things up.

I usually have my work cloths on, dress shoes, slacks, button up shirt or nice tucked in polo when I open carry.

Might be why I get away with it for the past year.

Saint did pave the way at the library, they have politely asked me in the past to leave my weapon outside I did. Even then it was no big deal.

But then I have a wife and three nice polite kids that read tons of books in tow when I go.

Hiredgun30

imported post

here is a partial reading of the law..

Code:
[code]18-3302J.  PREEMPTION OF FIREARMS REGULATION. (1) The legislature finds
that uniform laws regulating firearms are necessary to protect the individual
citizen's right to bear arms guaranteed by amendment 2 of the United States
Constitution and section 11, article I of the constitution of the state of
Idaho. It is the legislature's intent to wholly occupy the field of firearms
regulation within this state.
(2)  Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city,
agency, board or any other political subdivision of this state may adopt or
enforce any law, rule, regulation, or ordinance which regulates in any manner
the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, transportation,
carrying or storage of firearms or any element relating to firearms and
components thereof, including ammunition.
[/code]

G

imported post

Yeah, Thats what I read as the bill was being passed. I am just wondering where It might be "expressly authorized by state statute" that the IFPL is off limits. :p

That sign was in the window till at least sometime in april.
Im still a lil weary of walking in with my sidearm on my hip,

Thanks for the help.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

You should be ok. If asked to leave, politely comply if you don't want a confrontation. We'll help you write letter, file official complaints, etc if you have a problem.

Hiredgun30

imported post

that sign may have something to do with they mayor of Idaho Falls was once part of michael bloombergs coalition of mayors who wanted gun control.

G

imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:
that sign may have something to do with they mayor of Idaho Falls was once part of michael bloombergs coalition of mayors who wanted gun control.
Yeah, That thought did cross my mind. I loved how he "changed his mind..." in light of "significant pressure" from the citizens of Idaho Falls. :p

It took a while for me to not dis-like him after that, but he did do what his constituantsy requested, so.....