Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearms Storage in Secure Locations

Post imported post

Anyone know if court houses and federal buildings etc... have storage for your gun? If you walk "into" the building with your gun will they arrest you on sight and nail you, or do these places offer storage in a "non-secure" part of the building where you go in before you get to the "illegal" secure area? I figure some of you guys/gals might know from experience.

Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

By law, they are supposed to provide storage for your weapon, but not all do. The Utah County Courthouse in Provo will not store your weapon, they will make you leave it in your car.

78A-2-203. Rules -- Right to make -- Limitation -- Security.
    (1) Every court of record may make rules, not inconsistent with law, for its own government and the government of its officers; but such rules must neither impose any tax or charge upon any legal proceeding nor give any allowance to any officer for service.
    (2) (a) The judicial council may provide, through the rules of judicial administration, for security in or about a courthouse or courtroom, or establish a secure area as prescribed in Section 76-8-311.1.
    (b) (i) If the council establishes a secure area under Subsection (2)(a), it shall provide a secure firearms storage area on site so that persons with lawfully carried firearms may store them while they are in the secure area.
    (ii) The entity operating the facility with the secure area shall be responsible for the firearms while they are stored in the storage area referred to in Subsection (2)(b)(i).
    (iii) The entity may not charge a fee to individuals for storage of their firearms under Subsection (2)(b)(i).

(3) (a) Unless authorized by the rules of judicial administration, any person who knowingly or intentionally possesses a firearm, ammunition, or dangerous weapon within a secure area established by the judicial council under this section is guilty of a third degree felony.
    (b) Any person is guilty of violating Section 76-10-306 who transports, possesses, distributes, or sells an explosive, chemical, or incendiary device, as defined by Section 76-10-306, within a secure area, established by the Judicial Council under this section.

76-8-311.1. Secure areas -- Items prohibited -- Penalty.
    (1) In addition to the definitions in Section 76-10-501, as used in this section:
    (a) "Correctional facility" has the same meaning as defined in Section 76-8-311.3.
    (b) "Explosive" has the same meaning as defined for "explosive, chemical, or incendiary device" defined in Section 76-10-306.
    (c) "Law enforcement facility" means a facility which is owned, leased, or operated by a law enforcement agency.
    (d) "Mental health facility" has the same meaning as defined in Section 62A-15-602.
    (e) (i) "Secure area" means any area into which certain persons are restricted from transporting any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.
    (ii) A "secure area" may not include any area normally accessible to the public.
    (2) (a) A person in charge of a correctional, law enforcement, or mental health facility may establish secure areas within the facility and may prohibit or control by rule any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.
    (b) Subsections (2)(a), (3), (4), (5), and (6) apply to higher education secure area hearing rooms referred to in Subsections 53B-3-103(2)(a)(ii) and (b).
    (3) At least one notice shall be prominently displayed at each entrance to an area in which a firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive is restricted.
    (4) (a) Provisions shall be made to provide a secure weapons storage area so that persons entering the secure area may store their weapons prior to entering the secure area.
    (b) The entity operating the facility shall be responsible for weapons while they are stored in the storage area.
    (5) It is a defense to any prosecution under this section that the accused, in committing the act made criminal by this section, acted in conformity with the facility's rule or policy established pursuant to this section.
    (6) (a) Any person who knowingly or intentionally transports into a secure area of a facility any firearm, ammunition, or dangerous weapon is guilty of a third degree felony.
    (b) Any person violates Section 76-10-306 who knowingly or intentionally transports, possesses, distributes, or sells any explosive in a secure area of a facility.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    By law, they are supposed to provide storage for your weapon, but not all do. The Utah County Courthouse in Provo will not store your weapon, they will make you leave it in your car.
    Thx Sarge. It bites that not all do. This is odd, as seeing how the law you posted says they have to. I guess I'll just have to do my homework first if I ever plan on entering those places for anything before I go there.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    Anyone know if court houses and federal buildings etc... have storage for your gun?
    Just remember, these laws apply only to Utah State entities. Federal buildings are a whole different ballgame. You probably do not want to go near a federal building with a firearm.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    Just remember, these laws apply only to Utah State entities. Federal buildings are a whole different ballgame. You probably do not want to go near a federal building with a firearm.
    Oh yeah. Definitely a no no.

:shock:

Post imported post

I don't know if I would want them to "store" my gun.

It was hard enough getting my revolver back.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    ...It was hard enough getting my revolver back.
    ???

Centurion

Post imported post

(1) In addition to the definitions in Section 76-10-501, as used in this section:
    (a) "Correctional facility" has the same meaning as defined in Section 76-8-311.3.
    (b) "Explosive" has the same meaning as defined for "explosive, chemical, or incendiary device" defined in Section 76-10-306.
    (c) "Law enforcement facility" means a facility which is owned, leased, or operated by a law enforcement agency.
    (d) "Mental health facility" has the same meaning as defined in Section 62A-15-602.
    (e) (i) "Secure area" means any area into which certain persons are restricted from transporting any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.
    (ii) A "secure area" may not include any area normally accessible to the public.
    (2) (a) A person in charge of a correctional, law enforcement, or mental health facility may establish secure areas within the facility and may prohibit or control by rule any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.
    (b) Subsections (2)(a), (3), (4), (5), and (6) apply to higher education secure area hearing rooms referred to in Subsections 53B-3-103(2)(a)(ii) and (b).
    (3) At least one notice shall be prominently displayed at each entrance to an area in which a firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive is restricted.
    (4) (a) Provisions shall be made to provide a secure weapons storage area so that persons entering the secure area may store their weapons prior to entering the secure area.
    (b) The entity operating the facility shall be responsible for weapons while they are stored in the storage area.
    (5) It is a defense to any prosecution under this section that the accused, in committing the act made criminal by this section, acted in conformity with the facility's rule or policy established pursuant to this section.
    (6) (a) Any person who knowingly or intentionally transports into a secure area of a facility any firearm, ammunition, or dangerous weapon is guilty of a third degree felony.
    (b) Any person violates Section 76-10-306 who knowingly or intentionally transports, possesses, distributes, or sells any explosive in a secure area of a facility.

specific to the highlighted 'a and b' in red...

Hypothetical---

If the Utah County Courthouse insisted that you secure your legal weapon in your car and then your car is damaged/stolen by some BG that obtains your gun... Wouldn't the Utah County Court be liable?

JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

Was stopped for OC in American Fork, they cited me for an infraction charge for Disorderly Conduct. Took my revolver.

Charge was dropped, got my Revolver back. Was hard to do.

Centurion

Post imported post

When did this happen? and How long /what did you have to do to get your weapon back?

JoeSparky
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

May 27. I got my revolver back Tuesday this week.

Centurion

Post imported post

Nothing like "the check is in the mail" from the police.....

almost 2 complete months.... what was the issue?

JoeSparky

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA

Post imported post

Had to go through court.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    May 27. I got my revolver back Tuesday this week.
    Arghghg. Too bad you couldn't sue the cops if something bad happened to you and you couldn't defend yourself because you didn't have your gun.

Post imported post

Yeah, but that wouldn't be right, I had another one

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    Yeah, but that wouldn't be right, I had another one
    I would be in a bad spot because I only own one and can't afford to have more than that.

Post imported post

JoeSparky wrote:

specific to the highlighted 'a and b' in red...

Hypothetical---

If the Utah County Courthouse insisted that you secure your legal weapon in your car and then your car is damaged/stolen by some BG that obtains your gun... Wouldn't the Utah County Court be liable?

JoeSparky
    You have a good point there. This would be one to hash out in court methinks.

Kevin

Centurion

Post imported post

The Utah County Court would respond to ANY lawsuit on this matter with...

The individual voluntarily placed their OWN weapon in their OWN vehicle and therefore, the court has NO RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!

JoeSparky

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA

Post imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
    The Utah County Court would respond to ANY lawsuit on this matter with...

The individual voluntarily placed their OWN weapon in their OWN vehicle and therefore, the court has NO RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!

JoeSparky
    I suppose I can just hide behind a tree all day while my gun is in the car and jump out when the BG comes to break into it and then yell, "Swiper no swiping!!!" and that'll stop him. Then the BG will say "Awww mannn" and run away right?

dumb county court! rofl

Kevin

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    What if you don't have a car to put it in (rode the bus, a motorcycle, etc.)?

Would be interesting to see how they handled it. If you pushed the issue, they'd probably end up locking it up in someone's desk or something like that.

Centurion

Post imported post

A good friend of mine is one of the LEO whose primary duty is security at the main entrance to the Utah County Courthouse....

I will have to get his "OFFICIAL" take on this one... LOL

JoeSparky

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA

Post imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
    A good friend of mine is one of the LEO whose primary duty is security at the main entrance to the Utah County Courthouse....

I will have to get his "OFFICIAL" take on this one... LOL

JoeSparky
    Sweet! Let me know what he/she says.

Post imported post

Better yet, try and influence him to work to get his jurisdiction in compliance with the law.

Centurion

Post imported post

bane wrote:
    Better yet, try and influence him to work to get his jurisdiction in compliance with the law.
    OH, I do agree...

BUT....

He works for the Sheriff's Department and the Court's are their OWN entity.

I suspect that it needs to be brought up to the county commissioners who are in control of the budget...

JoeSparky

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA

Post imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
    bane wrote:
    OH, I do agree...

BUT....

He works for the Sheriff's Department and the Court's are their OWN entity.

I suspect that it needs to be brought up to the county commissioners who are in control of the budget...

JoeSparky
    Right. I only said that b/c in the military I learned that even though a particular Officer is in charge of administering a particular program, usually if the enlisted guys who actually perform the day-to-day tasks of that program go to the Officer and request a change that would actually bring more work on their shoulders the Officer is often-times inclined to consider it b/c a) it's not just something these guys want to make their life easier (thus, perhaps it's actually a good idea if THEY want it), and b) these are the guys who do the job day-in/day-out... if THEY want it there must be a reason.

But yes, I know it's more complex than my initial reply. It was just a thought that perhaps he could get the ball rolling considering he's the daily "expert", his opinion would have at least a little weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast