• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Cabela's, Spokane (Post Falls, Idaho)

heresolong

imported post

Wasn't OC because I was on a long motorcycle trip but stopped into Cabela's to pick up a Jetboil so that I can have coffee in the mornings before I hit the road.

Starts with the fellow at the door. I asked if I could check my weapon so that I can try out some Serpa CQB holsters. He is very friendly but tells me that I need to leave the ammo in my car. Didn't feel like walking all the way back out to the parking lot so told him that I would just wait on the holster. Pointed out that it was a little ridiculous that I could carry the weapon loaded and they were OK with it (at this point he had seen mine as I had taken it out to check it) but not carry ammo if I checked the weapon. His response was "if you have a concealed permit there isn't anything we can do about it". Seemed odd to me but I let it slide and went into the store.

Grabbed my new stove then over to the gun counter to just look around. They had a good selection of Serpa holsters so I asked the girl behind the counter about trying my pistol by opening the packaging since Blackhawk still doesn't make one specifically for the Ruger KP345. She did me one better and mentioned that she had a KP345 in stock and we could try it in the holsters to save me the walk out to the car. Off we go. Trying holsters, having fun, great conversation as she is definitely a gun person. (Aside: when asked for a "girl's gun" by male shoppers she shows them a SIG P220, her weapon of choice. Got to love it.)

While I am over by the wall getting more holsters four security, two in plain clothes, show up and start grilling her about my trying my unchecked gun in holsters. She set them straight and pointed out that we were using a store gun. My friend who was standing by the counter overheard the whole thing. Fair enough, that is their job. Then all four of them continued to stand around pretending to do other stuff, pretending to be shoppers (in the case of the plainclothes) and watched me until I left the store. My friends told me what they had observed and I was pissed.

However, happened to be back in the store a week later as our trip plans had been adjusted by thunderstorms and decided to have a chat with the store manager instead of writing a letter to corporate. To cut a long story short, he was in total agreement that the greeter misspoke corporate policy by being negative about my concealed weapon, and that "loss prevention" overreacted by following me around and by sticking around to spy on me after it was clear that I wasn't violating any store policies. He said that he would be speaking to the greeters and to loss prevention personnel to clear up official policy.

I left feeling great about Cabela's.

surfj9009

imported post

I have OC'ed in there several times after speaking with the manager one. day. You can read the word for word conversation in the OC in Spokane thread. They know the policy, but I think they hassle folks to discourage oc in the store.

jbone

imported post

heresolong wrote:
I left feeling great about Cabela's.

Same here! I OCed at the Lacey store yesterday before the Everett meet, I know! lots of driving to get back in time. Worth it, awesome store and no hassles with my OCing. The girl there did the same fitting many holsters with the store gun while I stand with mine holstered. Great experience down there.

neddis

imported post

Gotta love it when peons make their own policies. :)

I was in that same store on Thursday (7/23) and on Sunday (7/27) - OCing of course. :) On Thursday, I am positive the greeter saw my XD, but didn't say anything. I walked by quite a few employees and the gun counter and all over the store, really. Nobody said a word. On Sunday, the greeter was on the other side of me so didn't see my gun, but still nobody else in the store said anything. Quite uneventul.