Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "official" VCDL MRAP

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Back when I was home on leave, at the VCDL picnic, some of my good friends gave me a few VCDL bumper stickers that read: "Guns Save Lives". They asked if I might put it on one of our humvees over here, and I agreed. Well, we don't really roll in humvees anymore, since the Navy and Army sent us two versions of the newest MRAP (mine resistant ambush protected) vehicles. I usually roll in the Navy's version, which is much more resilient than the Army's version, but rides incredibly rough. Anyway, we went on a "simple" engineering mission about 10 days ago, so I threw the sticker on my MRAP. All the men loved it. Little did we know about 36hrs later, that our guns really would save lives, ours. Very long story short (you want it all, pm me): Day 2 of mission, entering hill country, an area dubbed Hell's Kitchen by the local allied forces, choke point, two of the Army MRAPs hit pressure plate IEDs, first one has its front end nearly blown off, catches fire, crew evacuates. Second one is only a mobility kill. One WIA, later medevaced. Have to sit with vehicles to secure them for two days. First night, myself and two other army E-4s are manning an Observation Post on a nearby ridgeline. There are two other OPs in addition to our own. When it gets good and dark, before the moon comes up, our OP starts taking heavy fire (mortars, rockets, small arms) from 3 different directions. In the ensuing firefight, we run through two belts on the SAW and I go thru damn near 4 mags (most of our heavy guns, ie Mk 19 fully auto grenade launcher, and US version of the RPG burn up in the MRAP). About this time, our MRAP is screaming on the radio for us to come down so we can get out. We haul @$$ down to the truck and we get out of the valley, while the gunners return fire to those positions still firing on us. Shooting stops shortly thereafter. No other action the rest of the time we were there. On the way home, the recovery convoy discovers 6 additional IEDs(4 of which were found by them going off). 7 days later, we make it back to home base. In total, there were 3 WIA, with no KIA. The polish quick reaction force that came after the firefight the first night investigated the areas which were firing on our OP. They found no bodies, but did find a ton of blood on the ground. I like to think at least one of my rounds hit one of those Taliban ********** square in the face.

Heres some pics:

About 4 hrs prior to the first IED going off, me in the turret with the sweet VCDL sticker

The two Navy MRAPs or Cougars as we call them

Standing watch after the two IED strikes (you can see the vehicles in the background)

The totally destroyed MRAP

The OP-1 Crew

Battle positions

My MRAP took quite a few rounds during the battle

Lessons learned:

-there is no such thing as too much ammo, there is such a thing as not enough

-when the poop hits the fan, you will do as you have trained (at least in my experience)

-Know your weapon. I did. I had no weapons failures but when it is pitch black, it is really helpful to know when your weapon runs dry just by "feel" or sound.

-as I have read before, but never experience until now, your ears do shut down in a do-or-die firefight. All I heard was muted "pops" from my rifle, with no ringing of the ears afterwards. Simply amazing how the human body protects itself.

-bring enough gun. The M4 and SAW were at the limits of their effective range during this firefight (~600yds), but it was all we had.

Post imported post

Reverend - Thank you for your service and the great pictures!

A question - on the picture where the shot hit the glass - is that a hollow point bullet?

Post imported post

:what:

Holy ****!

Glad you're ok, Rev!
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Yee-Ha! Get some!

That bumper sticker looks fabulous. Best of all, it seems to be unscathed - protected by its own words.

Sometimes "Thank you for your service" sounds hollow, but a sincere "Thanks" to you and you outfit. More importantly,

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

This is what the mainstream press needs to be reporting.
    Simple, straight forward, just the facts and from a first hand perspective.

Thank you one & all for your service !

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

God speed to you Reverend, and may you see through your duty safely to your return to America.

Thank you and the many who have answered the call for your service to our nation. And thanks for sharing your experiences with us so that we may both learn and appreciate it all.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
    About 4 hrs prior to the first IED going off, me in the turret with the sweet VCDL sticker

My MRAP took quite a few rounds during the battle

These two pics should be on the VCDL web site. Come home safe, Rev.

Post imported post

Bravo Zulu, Reverend!

A VCDL Logo decal on the front of your MRAP would look good!

Post imported post

Brian, I sent the long version to many of our local ODCO folks....stay safe buddy and remember my request during our last dining out together GREAT pictures too!!!!

Post imported post

Thanks for your service!

The axiom "Bringing ammo to a gunfight is like bringing candy to school....you better bring enough to go around." comes to mind.

Stay safe!

Post imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:
    Bravo Zulu, Reverend!

A VCDL Logo decal on the front of ypur MRAP would look good!
    Somebody with his mailing address send him one (or two) PLEASE !

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    da7f2q8 wrote:
    Bravo Zulu, Reverend!

A VCDL Logo decal on the front of ypur MRAP would look good!
    Somebody with his mailing address send him one (or two) PLEASE !

Yata hey
    you send me one, it will be on the next day.

Post imported post

The problem is the VCDL Logo doesn't exist as a decal (yet).

I asked PVC a couple of weeks ago if it would be feasible to make one (like you see here, which I got from the VCDL website) as a "peel and stick" window decal (say 3" x 3"). (I think he wanted to talk with me about it at the last VCDL meeting, but I couldn't attend.)

Sounds like there may be some support for it.

Post imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:

I asked PVC a couple of weeks ago if it would be feasible to make one (like you see here, which I got from the VCDL website) as a "peel and stick" window decal (say 3" x 3"). (I think he wanted to talk with me about it at the last VCDL meeting, but I couldn't attend.)

What is the 4 inch round VCDL sticker then? They can be found at any gun show in Virginia.

Brian - I'm sending 5 out to you tomorrow morning - I though I already gave you some when you got the GSL bumper stickers - it's tough getting old

Post imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:

What is the 4 inch round VCDL sticker then? They can be found at any gun show in Virginia.

Sorry, I didn't know about them.

Post imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:
    da7f2q8 wrote:

Sorry, I didn't know about them.
    No problem - we'll have those MRAPs all stickered up ;-)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Rev.. nice pics.. thank you for your service. It was an HONOR meeting you at the VCDL picnic.

Semper Fi.

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Just take the VCDL logo and print it out on decal paper, which you can get at Staples.

Post imported post

I too echo the big thank you and keep safe to you and your fellow fighting men and women!
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

There are times that I worry to excess about where this country is going.
    Then I follow a thread like this and swell with pride over our military personell
    and the level of support they receive from such as you all here.
    I wear my heart upon my chest for all to see.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Awesome!

Stay safe, Brian.

Post imported post

Great story and the Talib's sure picked a great spot for an IED ambush. Interesting about those new Cougars---guess they don't hold up as well as advertised?! Any 'Water Buffalo's' in country?

Post imported post

Loneviking wrote:
    Great story and the Talib's sure picked a great spot for an IED ambush. Interesting about those new Cougars---guess they don't hold up as well as advertised?! Any 'Water Buffalo's' in country?
    I don't know about that. They aren't supposed to be impervious to IED attacks, but rather survivable from what I understand. As Reverend said, "In total, there were 3 WIA, with no KIA" which would mean the Cougars did their job. Sacrifice the vehicle but save the life, just like with crumple zones in a car.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    Loneviking wrote:
    I don't know about that. They aren't supposed to be impervious to IED attacks, but rather survivable from what I understand. As Reverend said, "In total, there were 3 WIA, with no KIA" which would mean the Cougars did their job. Sacrifice the vehicle but save the life, just like with crumple zones in a car.
    And now, the enemy will use more explosives in the IEDs.
    ---

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Just take the VCDL logo and print it out on decal paper, which you can get at Staples.
    They have Staples™ in Sharana, Afghanistan?
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast