• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The "official" VCDL MRAP

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Back when I was home on leave, at the VCDL picnic, some of my good friends gave me a few VCDL bumper stickers that read: "Guns Save Lives". They asked if I might put it on one of our humvees over here, and I agreed.:D Well, we don't really roll in humvees anymore, since the Navy and Army sent us two versions of the newest MRAP (mine resistant ambush protected) vehicles. I usually roll in the Navy's version, which is much more resilient than the Army's version, but rides incredibly rough. Anyway, we went on a "simple" engineering mission about 10 days ago, so I threw the sticker on my MRAP. All the men loved it. Little did we know about 36hrs later, that our guns really would save lives, ours. Very long story short (you want it all, pm me): Day 2 of mission, entering hill country, an area dubbed Hell's Kitchen by the local allied forces, choke point, two of the Army MRAPs hit pressure plate IEDs, first one has its front end nearly blown off, catches fire, crew evacuates. Second one is only a mobility kill. One WIA, later medevaced. Have to sit with vehicles to secure them for two days. First night, myself and two other army E-4s are manning an Observation Post on a nearby ridgeline. There are two other OPs in addition to our own. When it gets good and dark, before the moon comes up, our OP starts taking heavy fire (mortars, rockets, small arms) from 3 different directions. In the ensuing firefight, we run through two belts on the SAW and I go thru damn near 4 mags (most of our heavy guns, ie Mk 19 fully auto grenade launcher, and US version of the RPG burn up in the MRAP). About this time, our MRAP is screaming on the radio for us to come down so we can get out. We haul @$$ down to the truck and we get out of the valley, while the gunners return fire to those positions still firing on us. Shooting stops shortly thereafter. No other action the rest of the time we were there. On the way home, the recovery convoy discovers 6 additional IEDs(4 of which were found by them going off). 7 days later, we make it back to home base. In total, there were 3 WIA, with no KIA. The polish quick reaction force that came after the firefight the first night investigated the areas which were firing on our OP. They found no bodies, but did find a ton of blood on the ground. I like to think at least one of my rounds hit one of those Taliban douchebags square in the face.

Heres some pics:

About 4 hrs prior to the first IED going off, me in the turret with the sweet VCDL sticker

gunssavelives.jpg

The two Navy MRAPs or Cougars as we call them

Pairofaces.jpg

Standing watch after the two IED strikes (you can see the vehicles in the background)

standingwatch.jpg

The totally destroyed MRAP

burningMRAP.jpg

The OP-1 Crew

OP-1.jpg

Battle positions

myposition.jpg

Courtrightposition.jpg

My MRAP took quite a few rounds during the battle

bullethit1.jpg

bullethitglass.jpg

bullethitlight.jpg

Lessons learned:

-there is no such thing as too much ammo, there is such a thing as not enough

-when the poop hits the fan, you will do as you have trained (at least in my experience)

-Know your weapon. I did. I had no weapons failures but when it is pitch black, it is really helpful to know when your weapon runs dry just by "feel" or sound.

-as I have read before, but never experience until now, your ears do shut down in a do-or-die firefight. All I heard was muted "pops" from my rifle, with no ringing of the ears afterwards. Simply amazing how the human body protects itself.

-bring enough gun. The M4 and SAW were at the limits of their effective range during this firefight (~600yds), but it was all we had.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Reverend - Thank you for your service and the great pictures!

A question - on the picture where the shot hit the glass - is that a hollow point bullet?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yee-Ha! Get some!

That bumper sticker looks fabulous. Best of all, it seems to be unscathed - protected by its own words. :D

Sometimes "Thank you for your service" sounds hollow, but a sincere "Thanks" to you and you outfit. More importantly,

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

This is what the mainstream press needs to be reporting.
Simple, straight forward, just the facts and from a first hand perspective.

Thank you one & all for your service !

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

God speed to you Reverend, and may you see through your duty safely to your return to America.

Thank you and the many who have answered the call for your service to our nation. And thanks for sharing your experiences with us so that we may both learn and appreciate it all.

Tomahawk

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
About 4 hrs prior to the first IED going off, me in the turret with the sweet VCDL sticker

gunssavelives.jpg

My MRAP took quite a few rounds during the battle

bullethitlight.jpg

These two pics should be on the VCDL web site. Come home safe, Rev.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Brian, I sent the long version to many of our local ODCO folks....stay safe buddy and remember my request during our last dining out together :cool: GREAT pictures too!!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:
Bravo Zulu, Reverend!

A VCDL Logo decal on the front of ypur MRAP would look good!
Somebody with his mailing address send him one (or two) PLEASE !

Yata hey

2a4all

imported post

The problem is the VCDL Logo doesn't exist as a decal (yet).

I asked PVC a couple of weeks ago if it would be feasible to make one (like you see here, which I got from the VCDL website) as a "peel and stick" window decal (say 3" x 3"). (I think he wanted to talk with me about it at the last VCDL meeting, but I couldn't attend.)

Sounds like there may be some support for it.

Bubba Ron

imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:

I asked PVC a couple of weeks ago if it would be feasible to make one (like you see here, which I got from the VCDL website) as a "peel and stick" window decal (say 3" x 3"). (I think he wanted to talk with me about it at the last VCDL meeting, but I couldn't attend.)

What is the 4 inch round VCDL sticker then? They can be found at any gun show in Virginia.

Brian - I'm sending 5 out to you tomorrow morning - I though I already gave you some when you got the GSL bumper stickers - it's tough getting old ;)

2a4all

imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:

What is the 4 inch round VCDL sticker then? They can be found at any gun show in Virginia.

Sorry, I didn't know about them.

Bubba Ron

imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:
da7f2q8 wrote:

Sorry, I didn't know about them.
No problem - we'll have those MRAPs all stickered up ;-)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

There are times that I worry to excess about where this country is going.
Then I follow a thread like this and swell with pride over our military personell
and the level of support they receive from such as you all here.
I wear my heart upon my chest for all to see.

Yata hey