• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The "official" VCDL MRAP

Loneviking

imported post

Great story and the Talib's sure picked a great spot for an IED ambush. Interesting about those new Cougars---guess they don't hold up as well as advertised?! Any 'Water Buffalo's' in country?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Loneviking wrote:
Great story and the Talib's sure picked a great spot for an IED ambush. Interesting about those new Cougars---guess they don't hold up as well as advertised?! Any 'Water Buffalo's' in country?
I don't know about that. They aren't supposed to be impervious to IED attacks, but rather survivable from what I understand. As Reverend said, "In total, there were 3 WIA, with no KIA" which would mean the Cougars did their job. Sacrifice the vehicle but save the life, just like with crumple zones in a car.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Loneviking wrote:
I don't know about that. They aren't supposed to be impervious to IED attacks, but rather survivable from what I understand. As Reverend said, "In total, there were 3 WIA, with no KIA" which would mean the Cougars did their job. Sacrifice the vehicle but save the life, just like with crumple zones in a car.
And now, the enemy will use more explosives in the IEDs.

LdoMaj_Ammo

imported post

The MRAPs/Cougars/Buffaloes/Max/RG31's and RG33's (can't remember them all))do an "excellent job" at protectingour war fighters. The vehicle isn't intended to survive an IED, they are intended to protect the human cargo. Armor was significant to defeat one RPG hit below the window (the one with the expended copper jet).

Rev, very happy you're okay... keep up the heat. s/f Fred

Loneviking wrote:

rchjr

imported post

You do our country proud!!! Tell all your fellow warriors that the MAJORITY of the country supports your sacrifices. the rest are the sheep and they have no say except BAA!
Stay safe, our prayers are with you.

Fozzy_Bear

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
-bring enough gun. The M4 and SAW were at the limits of their effective range during this firefight (~600yds)
If you consider 600 yds to still be even close to effective range of an M4... at night... under fire... You sir, truly are one BAMF.

And indication of enemy casualties too? Wow. just wow.

I've tried a few shots with one at half that range. - Not something I'd wanna trust my life to... (not bashing the M4 mind you... it's just not the right tool for THAT job... As you indicated by your comment)

Wow again.

Please let me know when you're home so I can buy you a beverage of your choice.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fozzy_Bear wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:
-bring enough gun. The M4 and SAW were at the limits of their effective range during this firefight (~600yds)
If you consider 600 yds to still be even close to effective range of an M4... at night... under fire... You sir, truly are one BAMF.

And indication of enemy casualties too? Wow. just wow.

I've tried a few shots with one at half that range. - Not something I'd wanna trust my life to... (not bashing the M4 mind you... it's just not the right tool for THAT job... As you indicated by your comment)

Wow again.

Please let me know when you're home so I can buy you a beverage of your choice.
Well, 600yds is the max effective range as listed in the manual--and we had the high ground. All I really did was see the flashes where the fire was coming from, and used my tracers to make adjustments. Then just lay it on as fast as I could. The positions they fired from offered no cover, so I'm not surprised they got hit. Our position was well protected from direct fire. Indirect, not so much. Good for us they weren't very good shots.

Tomahawk

imported post

M16A2 documented range is 550m for point targets, and 800m for area targets, so I assume your stated M4's 600m must be the area target range? Which means if you throw enough rounds out there you will get lucky and hit something, and suppress them in the meantime. IIRC the SAW reaches out about 1000yds ar so.

I know I'll probably restart the old debate, but I have to question the military's shift in emphasis towards shorter-barreled rifles in the last 5-10 years. I know it's better for getting in and out of vehicles, and moving around built-up areas, and such, but I read so many reports from fights in Af. and Iraq in which our troops are exchanging fire with the enemy in open country at long ranges, and neither the AK-47 nor the M4 are very effective.

As I age my fondness for the M14 (or even the M1) grows stronger. At 600 yds it owns.

AbNo

imported post

Wait, doesn't the x39 cartridge only have an effective range of about 400m or so?

That's.... 437yards, I think?

Serves those dumb bastards right, for multiple reasons.

Still glad glad you're ok. :)

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rev,
I missed this thread when it came out 'cos I was out of town. Really glad to hear you dodged the bullet this time too, and I hope your WIA's recover OK.

I'll be putting together another package for you and your guys soon.

Stay well, stay safe and don't let the Talibastards grind you down. We're all looking forward to your safe return, and are proud of you and your important work.

Dutch

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I do not think they were using AKs, I am fairly certain they were using PKM belt fed machine guns, in addition to the mortars and chinese made rockets.

Had it been daylight, I would have given anything to have my '44 M1 Garand.