• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Boone?

rangerdavid

imported post

Hi everyone ! New member here, and although I've been lurking awhile, I finally signed up this morning.

I have my CCW, and I work in Boone. Occasionally I leave the office w/o my coat, especially in the summer, which leaves my belt holster and pistol exposed. I don't wear my ankle holster often as it is not very comfortable.

Is anyone aware of any Town ordinance in the Town of Boone that prohibits OC? Or do you know where I could look to find out?

Thanks !

David

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Welcome to OC.org!

I remembered that someone had posted about this before so I went back in the archives and found it. The Boone police chief actually stated that OC was legal in an artice of The Appalachian Online. The article is below.
http://theapp.appstate.edu/content/view/2900/1/
Students call for concealed weapons

Across the nation, students from 110 universities awoke to take a shower, shine their shoes, strap on an empty holster, and head to class.
Last week a group under the banner of “
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus” organized the nationwide protest, University Police Chief Gunther E. Doerr said.
Its leaders urged college students to wear empty holsters to class to campaign against state laws that prevent lawful permit-holders from carrying concealed weapons onto college campuses.
According to the National Conference of State Legislature, 38 states ban firearms on school grounds.
Sixteen of these states, including North Carolina, explicitly ban concealed weapons on college campuses.
Lenoir-Rhyne is the only college in North Carolina to have a chapter of the organization.
However, Provost Stan R. Aeschleman alerted all Appalachian State faculty of the demonstration via e-mail, should any students have decided to participate.
“I have no problem with their protest and support their right to exercise free speech on campus,” Associate Professor of Criminal Justice Matthew Robinson said. “[However,] I would be uncomfortable teaching with guns in the classroom. While I can envision a scenario where a student with a gun might ‘cut short’ a campus shooting episode by gunning down a school shooter, I can also envision a student with a gun shooting another student or a professor as a result of an argument.”
Doerr said University Police had received no information that anyone at Appalachian had participated in the protest, although news of it eventually reached some students through faculty.
“The second amendment, (the right to bear arms) runs by a different standard in that it doesn’t apply to state laws,” junior political science and secondary education major Clark C. Anderson said.
Anderson, who is president of Appalachian’s chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, also said that constitutionally, individual gun control rights have no precedent of winning over states’ rights in court.
“It’s a bad case,” he said.
The concealed-carry organization, formed after the [Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University] massacre in April, said current state laws and school policies “stack the odds in favor of armed killers” by leaving potential victims defenseless, according to its Web site.
The Virginia Tech shooting had the largest body count of any mass shooting in U.S. history.
The incident itself and ensuing research sparked the formation of numerous groups across the country calling for stricter background checks on firearm buyers.
Doerr said after the shootings, experts found numerous holes in security rules and state laws that are in the process of being tightened.
Legislation to tighten background checks has passed in the House of Representatives and is sitting in the Senate, according to an Oct. 24 article from Fox News.
Supporters of the bill, which would “give states funding to submit information to a national database that would prevent guns from being sold to dangerous buyers,” include survivors and families of victims of the Virginia Tech shooting, according to the article.
Shortly over a year before the Virginia Tech incident, the Virginia General Assembly squashed a bill that would have allowed qualified students, faculty and staff to carry handguns.
ROTC Cadet Nicholas C. Mack, a freshman undecided major, said as long as gun holders have been trained and know how to use the weapon they own, it should be legal to carry that protection.
However, “it is a constitutional right, but we’re also on campus property,” he added. “I believe it should be up to the states to decide.”
Town of Boone Police Chief Bill Post said open carry is legal in North Carolina, with several exceptions including “arming to the terror of the public.”
According to Appalachian’s Code of Conduct, North Carolina General Statute makes it unlawful for anyone other than police officers to carry or possess firearms or weapons on campus.
The university’s definition of weapons includes but is not limited to BB guns, paintball guns, Bowie knives, slingshots, razors, brass knuckles, and unaltered nail files.
The minimum punishment for student carriers is suspension and the maximum is expulsion.
Capt. Curtis A. Main of the Boone Police said although there was a law several years ago that set the legal carried knife blade limit at three and a half inches, it has since been changed to any knife that is intentionally used for crime.

burninsteeda04

imported post

welcome to the group by the way and ASU still sucks. However yes OC is not illegal in Boone and if you skim through the material in this section of OC.com you will find plenty of answers.

rangerdavid

imported post

Thanks for the replies and the welcomes!! Having reviewed the Town Ordinances, I can find nothing that even mentions the carrying of firearms, let alone even comes close to prohibiting it.

Great!! :cool:

murf26

imported post

Hello, I know this is an OC site but I wanted to mention CCW in Boone. Icontacted the Boone police chief and asked him about carrying in the mall. He said it was okay as long as it was concealed; he actually welcomed the idea and thanked me for calling and asking. In our conversation, I explained my concernedfor myself and my family and he seemed okay with that. Just wanted to pass this info on...have a great day!

Drgong

imported post

I am in Ashe Co, and if you ever want to OC let me know ;)

I plan to OC as soon as I get a CC permit, as if my shirt covers the gun I can't be arrested for CC :)