• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Preemption

kurtmax_0

imported post

So the page on oc.org says: "Complete State Preemption of All Firearm Laws except those ordinances that were in effect at the time preemption was passed."

So, er... What areas of the state do have restrictions on firearms that were passed before preemption laws?

kurtmax_0

imported post

So basically you don't really have preemption since it's still a minefield of local regulations?

Is there a site that I can find all of the local restrictions, or do I have to go dig for ordinances everywhere I want to go and also find out when they were passed since that is never listed in the ordinances...

falcon1

imported post

Someone more knowledgeable than I will need to advise you. I am not aware of many local jurisdictions that have tried to forestall preemption, but IANAL, definitely. I am not aware of any website like one you reference, but I am not certain one does not exist. These folks may be the best place to ask:

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/

Good luck, and sorry I was not more help.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Alright thanks. I'll check the local ordinances where I intend to go. It's just odd that your preemption statue would grandfather things. I mean... it makes it essentially useless as the whole point of preemption is so that firearm laws are easily understood.

falcon1

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Alright thanks. I'll check the local ordinances where I intend to go. It's just odd that your preemption statue would grandfather things. I mean... it makes it essentially useless as the whole point of preemption is so that firearm laws are easily understood.
Welcome to the world the Tennessee legislature has created. There are some other "good ones," too. You are completely correct about our preemption statute.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Heheh. I guess I'm a bit spoiled down here as we pretty much have zero restricted places. 'Course, the Sheriff has some discretion to issue since it's 'may issue'. I'm not complaining though since I have a permit and I'm not even 21!

Does anybody know if Knoxville or around that area has restrictions. I seem to remember a news article about a man harassed in Knoxville for OC and he ultimately wasn't violating any laws. Also, what is the breakdown of laws in Tennesee. Is it State->County->Municipality, or do you have weird things like Townships and Boroughs and such?

falcon1

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Heheh. I guess I'm a bit spoiled down here as we pretty much have zero restricted places. 'Course, the Sheriff has some discretion to issue since it's 'may issue'. I'm not complaining though since I have a permit and I'm not even 21!
Careful on the twenty-one, too. There may be an issue with your age in Tennessee, but I do not know for certain, and again, IANAL!

SomeKid

imported post

His age won't be an issue, legally. He might run into some bonehead cop who tries to make it one, but then, a bonehead cop can screw with any of us.

TN does not issue HCP if you are under 21, but recognizes all valid carry permits. An 18 year old with an AL CCW may carry in TN.

ProguninTN

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:

Does anybody know if Knoxville or around that area has restrictions. I seem to remember a news article about a man harassed in Knoxville for OC and he ultimately wasn't violating any laws. Also, what is the breakdown of laws in Tennesee. Is it State->County->Municipality, or do you have weird things like Townships and Boroughs and such?
No weird townships or boroughs. Our preemption is actually very good. It does have the grandfather clause, but I have yet to find a locality with a grandfathered ordinance.

ProguninTN

kurtmax_0

imported post

SomeKid wrote:
His age won't be an issue, legally. He might run into some bonehead cop who tries to make it one, but then, a bonehead cop can screw with any of us.

TN does not issue HCP if you are under 21, but recognizes all valid carry permits. An 18 year old with an AL CCW may carry in TN.

Yep. I already checked into this. Thanks for mentioning it though. There are states that specifically don't recognize out-of-state license-holders that aren't 21, Tennessee isn't one of them.

There must be a locality somewhere with an ordinance otherwise the politicians wouldn't have put it in! Doesn't seem like there is anything where I'm headed though.