• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many has taken additional training?

How many take additional training?

• Every Chance I get.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once or Twice a year.

• I've Taken one.

• Just at the range.

• I will someday.

• Who needs it I'm BATMAN

• Total voters

Sheldon

imported post

After finishing up with weekend training session on how to neutralize disarm, and not get shot or stabbed by an BG, I have managed to take at least on additional hands on courseeach year now for as long as I have been carrying.

Yes I know it is an added expense in todays world of over priced stuff but how much is your loved ones and your life worth to you? SHTF can happen any time you walk out the door, N I was curious as to how many of us make the effort to get an edge?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have taken 2 advanced courses since my required 8 hour CC class and have learned a lot. There are several other classes/courses I want to take as money and time allow.

nh92d

imported post

i've been thinking of taken one of those basic self defense courses but seeing that i didn't even need to take a class to get my CCW permit..probably should just in case i ever have to use my gun for self defense..

(X-ing my fingers that that'll never happen)

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

National schools and local courses whenever I can swing the extra time/money. One of my best friends is also involved with training for a large police force, and I get exposure to a lot of info, through him.

ufcfanvt

imported post

I'm more interested in getting new training every chance I can than I am about getting a new firearm!
Knowing how to point and shoot his 3rd-from-the-top button out won't help when he has his blade out and his buddy is waiting behind you w/ another knife or a gun :shock:

I want to move, while shooting guy 1, quickly pick up and smoke guy two, stab guy 3 when my weapon is jammed, and still have the ability to get outta Dodge and get home safely!

FightingGlock19

imported post

I've accumulated 72 hours firearms of training in the past 12 months.

It's kind of humorous the number of "gun folks," who don't bother to get training. They've got the mindset of, "I know how to fight, f*ck, and drive, why do I need training?" They don't realize how far behind the curve they are when it comes to a violent confrontation.

hsmith

imported post

I am planning on getting a good bit of training next year. I am trying to shore up all the firearms I can this year before Obama gets into office.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Why? Is some petty tyrant going to disarm all those he deems irresponsible? Safety is a tyrant's tool because no one can be against safety - or responsibility.

A claim of "additional training" is a claim of elitism.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

hsmith

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Why? Is some petty tyrant going to disarm all those he deems irresponsible? Safety is a tyrant's tool because no one can be against safety - or responsibility.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
I don't see what is elistist about additional training. You are honing your skills, you are practicing for what you are unfamiliar with. It is an all around good idea. Be it shooting more, close quarter shooting, who knows what.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

I don't see what is elistist about additional training. You are honing your skills, you are practicing for what you are unfamiliar with. It is an all around good idea. Be it shooting more, close quarter shooting, who knows what.
There is nothing elitist about getting more training, its only so if its a requirement. Frankly, I want to be 'elite' when it comes to fighting with guns because I want to survive. Let the bad guy be average., I'm going to give myself every lawful advantage to make it as unfair as possible for HIM.

AnaxImperator

imported post

I've had plenty of extra training, courtesy of Uncle Sam, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I plan to continue with that for quite some time, even after I'm out.

Use it or lose it.... :monkey

Sheldon

imported post

longwatch wrote:
There is nothing elitist about getting more training, its only so if its a requirement. Frankly, I want to be 'elite' when it comes to fighting with guns because I want to survive. Let the bad guy be average., I'm going to give myself every lawful advantage to make it as unfair as possible for HIM.

A big +1 on that other than the obvious issues time, money, a little extra knowledge is definitely a good thing.

Some day you or a loved one may be in serious danger, and any edge you can gain could just tip the scales in your favor.

Me as a older guy I now realize I am no Superman and try and benefit by the experience of others, and taking advantage of training of those who have BTDT only makes sense to me.

Diocoles

imported post

Sheldon wrote:
longwatch wrote:

A big +1 on that other than the obvious issues time, money, a little extra knowledge is definitely a good thing.

Some day you or a loved one may be in serious danger, and any edge you can gain could just tip the scales in your favor.

Me as a older guy I now realize I am no Superman and try and benefit by the experience of others, and taking advantage of training of those who have BTDT only makes sense to me.

Been using a gun since I was 6 years old, been trained in martial arts and weapons since 1968 and I'm not stopping. I've been in all sorts of "conflicts" and I've been very lucky, I've never lost or been hurt too badly. I want to stay that way. Never stop training.
Now that I'm ... somewhat older, I rely more on the gun than my legs and hands and knives. So I put a little extra into that practice. Minimum of 3 times a week. Moving and just target to keep the feel. Perfect practice makes for perfect moves. Keep those muscles reacting properly as long as possible. Whenfind you're slowing down too much, useshotguns.

imperialism2024

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

There is nothing elitist about going for additional training.

It is elitist to pride oneself on his formal training and imply that those who do not sit at classes on a regular basis are insufficiently able to defend themselves.

And as DH pointed out, "training" is too often used as a tool of oppression.

Bullbuster

imported post

While I get the required weapons training through the military. I have also been through the Navy's Auxiliary Security Force 3 week police academy. I also spent 2 years doing the military police gig. I've been an RSO for the Navy and at 3 different civilian gun ranges/ clubs. So I get my share of follow on training.