• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

this is my "good and sufficent cause"

nova

imported post

"without good and sufficient reason"

I'd say the life of myself and loved ones is good and sufficient reason.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This was brought up after the Colorado church shootings, and after just about every other event that took place within three states of a church.

Which IMNSHO is a Good Thing[suP]TM[/suP].

Isn't it strange (he asks rhetorically) that there has neen absolutely no discussion on the MSM about self-responsibility and the fact trhat the police have no legal responsibility to protect you even if they know when, where, how, and by whom you are going to be killed?

I was always taught that G-d provides the means for us to carry out His wishes, and that except in the case of some very rare miracles He expects us to do the heavy lifting. That includes defense of self and family.

stay safe.

skidmark

vbnative73

imported post

This particular church actually help found their local chapter of the ACLU. I wouldn't imagine they're very gun-friendly, even now. :banghead:

Deanimator

imported post

hlh wrote:
It's my opinion that as society continues to driftstoward secularism that we'llsee more and more attacks on churches. I and others consistantly carry in church because of this.
The greatest religious conflict in the history of Western civilization, the 30 Years War, was NOT fought between believers and agnostics and atheists. It was fought between Protestants and Catholics.

Most of the shootings in or about houses of worship of which I'm aware were committed by the religious, usually former members of those congregations or those with an axe to grind with a particular member.

Trust me, I can't speak for the atheists, but most of us agnostics just don't care enough about your religion or anyone else's to cross the street, much less shoot a bunch of innocent people.

As for you carrying in church, at WORST there's no harm in it. At best, it might save somebody's life. Right after 9/11, a friend's synagogue could have put on a gunshow with just the concealed handguns being carried by the members.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Carried at church yesterday. It is absolutely "good and sufficient reason". I would imagine that no one at that church was expecting to have a gunman visit their Sunday services. I don't expect to have this problem at my church. I am not the only person who carries. My theory is: Hope for the best, and plan for the worst. I don't want my only option to be to tackle the gunman to stop his killing spree.

Neplusultra

imported post

dng wrote:
Carried at church yesterday. It is absolutely "good and sufficient reason". I would imagine that no one at that church was expecting to have a gunman visit their Sunday services. I don't expect to have this problem at my church. I am not the only person who carries. My theory is: Hope for the best, and plan for the worst. I don't want my only option to be to tackle the gunman to stop his killing spree.
Mrs. Hupp's father, of Luby's Restaurant fame, tried the same tactic of tackling the shooter. It didn't work. I imagine you could jump him as he passes a doorway or something like that but there was no optioin like that available to her father.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In MO you can't carry into a church without permission of the person in charge, typically the minister. If you violate this it is not criminal and the only thing they can ask you to do is leave.

Here's the curious thing though. Following the Colorado Springs shootings, I was invited by 2 different ministers I know, of 2 different denominations, who know I do not attend church (issue with organized religion not God), and who know I religiously carry (pun intended), to visit/attend their churches armed. Not that they were ok with me being armed, but that they encouraged my being armed when I attended. If only my fiancee and I can find a church of our preferred denomination that shares that view it will be all good.

NavyBlue99TA

imported post

I used to carry at church because of these types of attacks (ever since that incident in WI a couple years ago), but now my family attends a church that holds meetings in a high school auditorium. Somehow I don't think the authorities would care that no students are present if anything bad happened. Is anyone else confronted by this conflict of interest?

Neplusultra

imported post

NavyBlue99TA wrote:
I used to carry at church because of these types of attacks (ever since that incident in WI a couple years ago), but now my family attends a church that holds meetings in a high school auditorium. Somehow I don't think the authorities would care that no students are present if anything bad happened. Is anyone else confronted by this conflict of interest?
I'd look into the law, you are renting the facility so in essence it is yours and not a school. As always IANAL, call the Commonwealth Attorney or VCDL.