Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seven people shot at Knoxville, TN church this morning

Post imported post

(CNN) -- An armed man opened fire on worshippers in a Unitarian church in Knoxville, Tennessee, during a children's play Sunday, critically wounding seven people, police and church members said.

People embrace outside a Knoxville, Tennessee, church where a gunman opened fire Sunday.

Detectives were questioning the suspected gunman Sunday afternoon after the "horrendous" attack, Deputy Police Chief Bill Roehl said.

"To our knowledge right now, he is the lone suspect in this case," Roehl said.

The man entered the church and began shooting during a children's production of the musical "Annie," said Steve Drevik, a church member who arrived after man's arrest.
    "We have a lot of scared, traumatized children and they just don't know what to think," Drevik said.

The seven gunshot victims were taken to the University of Tennessee Medical Center, just across the Tennessee River from the church, said Capt. Brent Seymour, a Knoxville Fire Department spokesman. All of the wounded appeared to be adults, Seymour said.

About 12 others were treated for minor injuries at the church, he said.

The suspect, whose identity was not immediately released, was taken into custody without a fight after police arrived, Roehl said. Drevik said the man did not appear to be a church member.

"We don't know this particular individual. We may never know why," Drevik said. "All of this will come out in the next couple of days."

In a written statement, Knoxville Mayor Bill Haslam said the city "suffered a tragedy" on Sunday.

"Our thoughts at prayers are with the victims, their families, and the church community," he said.

But Roehl said many of those still at the church were "very calm" as detectives went over the sanctuary-turned-crime scene.

"It's terrible that you come to church do worship and something like this occurs," he said. "It's very horrendous."

ETA: story link: http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/27/...ing/index.html
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

And in Utah, they made carry in a church illegal

Post imported post

One of the hospitalized has died.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

In Virginia, you may not carry in a church "without good reason."
    Does this not demonstrate the very best of reasons!

Such unfortunate events cannot be prevented but they can be stopped.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Concealed carry is outlawed in Mississippi churches as well as open carry being effectively outlawed by aconvoluted interpretation of a "partially" concealed weapon. It is sad that a business is allowed to choose whether or not to allow firearms butmy state has denied that right to churches. Separation of church and state? Seems to only apply in the states interest. It is a shame when the only way to excercise a right (self-defense)is to break a law. Especially sad when the law is imposedwhere the state should only intervene in cases of criminal activity.

Post imported post

So sad.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    So sad.

Sad? I'm angry.

This is what you get with 40 years of gun-control lies being drummed into people. Two whole generations.

Every one of the anti-s has the blood of these people on their hands.

But, its OK to be sad. I'm not criticizing you for it.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    hsmith wrote:
    So sad.

Sad? I'm angry.

This is what you get with 40 years of gun-control lies being drummed into people. Two whole generations.

Every one of the anti-s has the blood of these people on their hands.

But, its OK to be sad. I'm not criticizing you for it.
    Laws that don't work are supposed to be repealed. Prohibition was repealed. Why aren't these 20,000 gun control laws repealed?!?!

Post imported post

Update

This is tragic, but I have the utmost respect for the church members who stood up and tackled the gunman, rather than waiting for the police to come take care of them.

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    Update

This is tragic, but I have the utmost respect for the church members who stood up and tackled the gunman, rather than waiting for the police to come take care of them.
    Yes, and I'd like to find more details about the folks who "tackled" him. IIRC, media reports of the Appalachian Law School incident also said that students "tackled" the shooter when, in fact, they got their own guns and subdued the guy.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I heard on the radio coming home a few minutes ago that the shooter used a shotgun. Apparently one of the children's father stepped out and took a hit to protect the kids. Have not seen confirmation of this yet.

I'm angry and frustrated at the thinking that got us to where many think that they are "safe" in church, their homes or where ever.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    I'm angry and frustrated at the thinking that got us to where many think that they are "safe" in church, their homes or where ever.

Book:
    http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?D...p;ITEM_ID=1960

Video:
    http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=2146

I've read the book, but haven't seen the video. They're "Shooting Back" about a guy who stopped a terrorist attack on his church in South Africa. Very short book and worth the read.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    That's ONLY in LDS Churches per the BCI website. Even IF you carry there it's "ONLY" and infraction.

Post imported post

But still illegal.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    But still illegal.
    But not for ALL churches. JUST lds ones.. I guess the LDS church doesn't want you to live but rather send you to hell or heaven. Of course the Church will be held responsible in the Heavens above for deciding that your life was not valueable enough to be saved. They decided your fate. I'd rather live and get a fine than die.

TJ

Post imported post

Agreed, I guess that the crappy thing is that if any church didn't want you carrying, they would only have to publicly announce it.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    Does anyone really think that if I posted big giant signs in my front yard, stating my house was a "Gun Free Zone", that I would be more safe from burglary, home invasion, rape(of my wife), etc. ? Of course it is a rhetorical question. We all know the answer.

The more places the bad guys know there will be no resistance, the more law-abiding, innocent people will be victimized or killed. Just that simple. Predators look for the easiest pickings. IMHO

Post imported post

That is more "good reason" to carry at church; I carried yesterday!

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Shooting Back: The Right and Duty of Self-Defense by Charl Van Wyk is an essential read. It is a command and an imperative.

Post imported post

dng wrote:
    That is more "good reason" to carry at church; I carried yesterday!
    I can't - the church is held in a public school. Best I can do is carry TO church, leave it in the car, and then load back up when church is over... :?

Post imported post

There's a whole lot more to it than Gun Control.
    1: The church promotes progressive social work, including advocacy of women and gay rights.
    2: "He almost turned angry," she told the newspaper. "He seemed to get angry at that. He said that everything in the Bible contradicts itself if you read it." She also said Adkisson spoke frequently about his parents, who "made him go to church all his life. ... He acted like he was forced to do that."
    1: A Church supporting Gay Rights ? :shock:

2:I believe this is a direct reflection of how the Theory ofEvolution hasBrainwashed America.
    Hitler's Propaganda Minister:

If you tell a lie long enough, loud enough, and often enough, people will believe it.

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:
    There's a whole lot more to it than Gun Control.
    1: The church promotes progressive social work, including advocacy of women and gay rights.
    2: "He almost turned angry," she told the newspaper. "He seemed to get angry at that. He said that everything in the Bible contradicts itself if you read it." She also said Adkisson spoke frequently about his parents, who "made him go to church all his life. ... He acted like he was forced to do that."
    1: A Church supporting Gay Rights ? :shock:

2:I believe this is a direct reflection of how the Theory ofEvolution hasBrainwashed America.
    Hitler's Propaganda Minister:

If you tell a lie long enough, loud enough, and often enough, people will believe it.
    The bible, christianity and organized religion as a whole could fall into this cartegory of brainwashedalso

Post imported post

dkd wrote:
    The bible, christianity and organized religion as a whole could fall into this cartegory of brainwashedalso
    Think so ? Let's here about it = http://www.evolutionfairytale.com/forum/index.php

See you there, maybe

Post imported post

Tragic...but look what happens in "gun free zones"...they are turkey shoots for lunatics.

this is why my 9 millie goes to church w/ me...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast