• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seven people shot at Knoxville, TN church this morning

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

(CNN) -- An armed man opened fire on worshippers in a Unitarian church in Knoxville, Tennessee, during a children's play Sunday, critically wounding seven people, police and church members said.

People embrace outside a Knoxville, Tennessee, church where a gunman opened fire Sunday.
corner_wire_BL.gif

Detectives were questioning the suspected gunman Sunday afternoon after the "horrendous" attack, Deputy Police Chief Bill Roehl said.

"To our knowledge right now, he is the lone suspect in this case," Roehl said.

The man entered the church and began shooting during a children's production of the musical "Annie," said Steve Drevik, a church member who arrived after man's arrest.
"We have a lot of scared, traumatized children and they just don't know what to think," Drevik said.

The seven gunshot victims were taken to the University of Tennessee Medical Center, just across the Tennessee River from the church, said Capt. Brent Seymour, a Knoxville Fire Department spokesman. All of the wounded appeared to be adults, Seymour said.

About 12 others were treated for minor injuries at the church, he said.

The suspect, whose identity was not immediately released, was taken into custody without a fight after police arrived, Roehl said. Drevik said the man did not appear to be a church member.

"We don't know this particular individual. We may never know why," Drevik said. "All of this will come out in the next couple of days."

In a written statement, Knoxville Mayor Bill Haslam said the city "suffered a tragedy" on Sunday.

"Our thoughts at prayers are with the victims, their families, and the church community," he said.

But Roehl said many of those still at the church were "very calm" as detectives went over the sanctuary-turned-crime scene.

"It's terrible that you come to church do worship and something like this occurs," he said. "It's very horrendous."

ETA: story link: http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/27/church.shooting/index.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

In Virginia, you may not carry in a church "without good reason."
Does this not demonstrate the very best of reasons!

Such unfortunate events cannot be prevented but they can be stopped.

Yata hey

JT

imported post

Concealed carry is outlawed in Mississippi churches as well as open carry being effectively outlawed by aconvoluted interpretation of a "partially" concealed weapon. It is sad that a business is allowed to choose whether or not to allow firearms butmy state has denied that right to churches. Separation of church and state? Seems to only apply in the states interest. It is a shame when the only way to excercise a right (self-defense)is to break a law. Especially sad when the law is imposedwhere the state should only intervene in cases of criminal activity.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hsmith wrote:

Sad? I'm angry.

This is what you get with 40 years of gun-control lies being drummed into people. Two whole generations.

Every one of the anti-s has the blood of these people on their hands.

But, its OK to be sad. I'm not criticizing you for it.

nova

imported post

Citizen wrote:
hsmith wrote:

Sad? I'm angry.

This is what you get with 40 years of gun-control lies being drummed into people. Two whole generations.

Every one of the anti-s has the blood of these people on their hands.

But, its OK to be sad. I'm not criticizing you for it.
Laws that don't work are supposed to be repealed. Prohibition was repealed. Why aren't these 20,000 gun control laws repealed?!?!

MetalChris

imported post

Update

This is tragic, but I have the utmost respect for the church members who stood up and tackled the gunman, rather than waiting for the police to come take care of them.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Update

This is tragic, but I have the utmost respect for the church members who stood up and tackled the gunman, rather than waiting for the police to come take care of them.
Yes, and I'd like to find more details about the folks who "tackled" him. IIRC, media reports of the Appalachian Law School incident also said that students "tackled" the shooter when, in fact, they got their own guns and subdued the guy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I heard on the radio coming home a few minutes ago that the shooter used a shotgun. Apparently one of the children's father stepped out and took a hit to protect the kids. Have not seen confirmation of this yet.

I'm angry and frustrated at the thinking that got us to where many think that they are "safe" in church, their homes or where ever.

Yata hey

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I'm angry and frustrated at the thinking that got us to where many think that they are "safe" in church, their homes or where ever.

Book:
http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=6&SUBDEPARTMENT_ID=20&ITEM_ID=1960

Video:
http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=2146

I've read the book, but haven't seen the video. They're "Shooting Back" about a guy who stopped a terrorist attack on his church in South Africa. Very short book and worth the read.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
But still illegal.

But not for ALL churches. JUST lds ones.;). I guess the LDS church doesn't want you to live but rather send you to hell or heaven. Of course the Church will be held responsible in the Heavens above for deciding that your life was not valueable enough to be saved. They decided your fate. I'd rather live and get a fine than die.

TJ

thx997303

imported post

Agreed, I guess that the crappy thing is that if any church didn't want you carrying, they would only have to publicly announce it.

4armed Architect

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
And in Utah, they made carry in a church illegal :banghead:
Does anyone really think that if I posted big giant signs in my front yard, stating my house was a "Gun Free Zone", that I would be more safe from burglary, home invasion, rape(of my wife), etc. ? Of course it is a rhetorical question. We all know the answer. :idea:

The more places the bad guys know there will be no resistance, the more law-abiding, innocent people will be victimized or killed. Just that simple. Predators look for the easiest pickings. IMHO

dng

State Researcher
imported post

That is more "good reason" to carry at church; I carried yesterday!