• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New here and a few questions.

choko

imported post

Hello all :)

Came across this site when i was searching for laws.

I live in ' ADAMS county' Nortghlenn, CO I have a .22 mosquito ' yeah i know, its a baby ;)

Only had my CO drivers lisence ; legal resident for a month' moved here from buffalo, ny

I was told that i have to wait 6 months to get a concealed permit, but for now i can OC?

Not looking for any trouble with the law, but does anyone live in northglenn, broomfield area? i want to OC but want to make sure i dont go in the wrong area

OC in car while driving how are they on that? if the clip isnt loaded?

Coming from NY we had prolly the most strict rules and didnt allow have OC

Also,if i dont wanna OC in a store. i can legally leave it in car correct? when im driving does it ' have to be on me? or can it be in car unloaded?

Thanks all !=)

entartet17

imported post

choko wrote:
Hello all :)

Came across this site when i was searching for laws.

I live in Nortghlenn, CO I have a .22 mosquito ' yeah i know, its a baby ;)

Only had my CO drivers lisence ; legal resident for a month' moved here from buffalo, ny

I was told that i have to wait 6 months to get a concealed permit, but for now i can OC?

Not looking for any trouble with the law, but does anyone live in northglenn, broomfield area? i want to OC but want to make sure i dont go in the wrong area

OC in car while driving how are they on that? if the clip isnt loaded?

Coming from NY we had prolly the most strict rules and didnt allow have OC

Also,if i dont wanna OC in a store. i can legally leave it in car correct? when im driving does it ' have to be on me? or can it be in car unloaded?

Thanks all !=)
You can open carry in all of Colorado except for the City and County of Denver and certain prohibited areas (schools, government buildings with permanent security/metal detectors, legislative buildings, federal buildings, etc). Private businesses can also ban OC but they are supposed to have proper signage (every time that I have been asked to leave a store for OCing it was from a store with no signs). Most businesses could care less if you OC but I have had a few problems.

OC is fine in Broomfield and Northglenn (I've never had any problems) but make sure you dont cross into Denver.

You can OC or CC in an automobile without a permit and the gun can be loaded with or without a round in the chamber. The only exceptions to this are rifles and shotguns which can be loaded but cannot have a round chambered. Again, a firearm can be left in plain view while driving or it can be concealed (like in a glove compartment), it doesnt really matter.

I'm not sure on the 6 month waiting period. Maybe someone else on the forum will know.

You can always go to RMGO's site which has a good overview of Colorado's gun laws.
http://www.rmgo.org/faq

Anubis

imported post

choko wrote:
Yes, it can be in the car loaded or unloaded. I concur with the data provided by entartet17 in the previous post.

I think there is no 6 month time limit. You need only be a CO resident (i.e. have a CO driver's license with a CO address on it) to apply for a permit. Refer to CRS 18-12-203 at http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cpfor full details.

denwego

imported post

Welcome to the old haunts!

There's no need to wait 6 months before applying for a CHP; the only requirement is residency in the state, the necessary proof of training, and no disqualifying convictions/commitments, etc. If you have your Colorado drivers license, that is proof of residency right there. Just go take a training course, slap down the money with the application, and let the waiting begin!

As for carrying openly, you can do that right away as long as you're 18 and not prohibited from owning a handgun (felon, etc.). Like Entartet said, you're good anywhere in the state OCing on foot outside of Denver. And all through the state, including Denver, you can carry concealed inside your car before you have your permit. It can be concealed on your person while you're in your car, or in the glove box, or just laying openly on the seat next to you. That goes for storing it as well; you can keep it in your glove box or whatnot while you're shopping, as it's no longer on or about your person at all at that point.

Edit - Anubis just beat me too it... bugger! :cool: