Thread: Botched Sting: Killed With Gun She Was Supposed to Buy

Post imported post

Alone With No Training, a Young Woman Dies Working as Police Informant

By BRIAN ROSS and VIC WALTER
    ABC News

July 25, 2008

No training. A botched drug sting. A dead 23-year-old college graduate.

But authorities in Tallahassee, Fla., have yet to take any action against the police responsible for an undercover operation that led to the death of Rachel Hoffman, a recent graduate of Florida State University.

Police Chief Dennis Jones, interviewed for tonight's 20/20 broadcast, says he does not accept that his department is in any way responsible for the death of the young woman.

"Do we feel responsible? We're responsible for the safety of this community," Jones said, labeling Hoffman a "criminal" because she was caught twice with a baggie of marijuana.

"People we use as confidential informants are people that are familiar with the drug trade," the police chief said.

In the case of Hoffman, her friends say she refused to inform on friends who smoked grass.

Instead, say the friends, police pushed Hoffman to work undercover against two men considered much bigger in the drug scene, and to try to buy a gun. A transaction involving a gun can bring much more serious charges.

Former FBI agent Brad Garrett, an ABC News consultant, says it made no sense to use an inexperienced person like Rachel for a gun deal.

Post imported post

The United States needs to get serious about holding all of its citizens responsible for such behavior.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Jim675 wrote:
    The United States needs to get serious about holding all of its citizens responsible for such behavior.
    Goodchoice of words.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Disgusting.

ETA:I'm referring to thestory(of course), not the above opinions.

Post imported post

There are so many things wrong and sad about this story.

It is sad that she botched her life over a few baggies of marijuana. One would think that being caught the first time would have made her decide it just wasn't worth it. Right or wrong, that is the current state of law and anyone past 3rd grade, what with DARE and PSAs knows that it is illegal and there are consequences. It is astounding that marijuana was so important to her.

Drug laws that make a plant illegal and leads to a situation of desperation where a young woman would lose her life over some plants.

LE violating the trust she obviously placed in them to protect her when she was acting as an informant through sloppiness, ignorance or incompetence, whichever the case.

LE disclaiming any responsibility in the matter when if not for them, she wouldn't have been in the situation. We have lots of criminal code and enhanced sentencing based on the "if not for the actions of _______" scenario not to mention civil liability based on the same concepts.

There is nothing about this story to give anyone faith in the laws, LE or human nature.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

In Ohio, she'd have gotten a ticket and might have been able to pay it out without even a hearing (possession of under 100g is a minor misdemeanor). No way the cops would waste their time here with some low-level pot smoker if they wanted higher-ups in the drug and gun rackets. This was entirely preventable.

-ljp

Post imported post

"Hoffman's body was not found until two days later, with multiple gun shot wounds traced to the gun she was supposed to have bought."

How was it traced?

Post imported post

vinnie wrote:
    "Hoffman's body was not found until two days later, with multiple gun shot wounds traced to the gun she was supposed to have bought."

How was it traced?
    Right, especially since she wasn't trying to buy a specific gun. They just said buy a gun.

Eitherway using her fro drugs, I can see, but a Gun Deal ?!? No way.

I'm sure like usual we don't know the whole story, but I'm pretty sure she probably wasn't the sweet 23 yr old daddy's girl were being told about here.

Post imported post

On another note, I was thinking about something.

I know stings can go bad, but when they do aren't the Cops there immediately ?

If they were watching her, and saw the deal go bad, how would they wait 2 days ?

MAYBE, b/c it wasn't a sting at all.

I think they quite simply told her what they would like her to do and sent her on her way, fewdays later, month maybe, she's dead.

Eitherway, I surely feel for the Father of this child.

I tell you whatdoes piss me off though. Is how many timesdo you here the LEO's say, please let the Police do their jobs. Yet here it seems as if they couldn't do their jobs without the help of a 23 yr old ?

Somehting's not right about this story.

Post imported post

As long as govt continues to tell you what you can or cannot put in your own body, these senseless deaths in the drug war will continue. A young woman is dead now and govt bears aleast partresponsibilty for her death.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

"Do we feel responsible? We're responsible for the safety of this community," Jones said, labeling Hoffman a "criminal" because she was caught twice with a baggie of marijuana.
    That's right, all those potheads deserve to die. Underage drinkers too. Maybe cops should shoot speeders on sight as well. It's for the "safety of the community".
    I don't want your safety anymore.