• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Botched Sting: Killed With Gun She Was Supposed to Buy

George Washington

imported post

[align=left]Alone With No Training, a Young Woman Dies Working as Police Informant[/align]
[align=left]By BRIAN ROSS and VIC WALTER
ABC News[/align]
[align=left]July 25, 2008[/align]
[align=left]No training. A botched drug sting. A dead 23-year-old college graduate.[/align]
[align=left]But authorities in Tallahassee, Fla., have yet to take any action against the police responsible for an undercover operation that led to the death of Rachel Hoffman, a recent graduate of Florida State University.[/align]
[align=left]Police Chief Dennis Jones, interviewed for tonight's 20/20 broadcast, says he does not accept that his department is in any way responsible for the death of the young woman.[/align]
[align=left]"Do we feel responsible? We're responsible for the safety of this community," Jones said, labeling Hoffman a "criminal" because she was caught twice with a baggie of marijuana.[/align]
[align=left]"People we use as confidential informants are people that are familiar with the drug trade," the police chief said.[/align]
[align=left]In the case of Hoffman, her friends say she refused to inform on friends who smoked grass.[/align]
[align=left]Instead, say the friends, police pushed Hoffman to work undercover against two men considered much bigger in the drug scene, and to try to buy a gun. A transaction involving a gun can bring much more serious charges.[/align]
[align=left]Former FBI agent Brad Garrett, an ABC News consultant, says it made no sense to use an inexperienced person like Rachel for a gun deal.[/align]
[align=left]Continued at http://www.washingtonceasefire.net/content/view/116/35/[/align]

MetalChris

imported post

Disgusting.

ETA:I'm referring to thestory(of course), not the above opinions. :)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are so many things wrong and sad about this story.

It is sad that she botched her life over a few baggies of marijuana. One would think that being caught the first time would have made her decide it just wasn't worth it. Right or wrong, that is the current state of law and anyone past 3rd grade, what with DARE and PSAs knows that it is illegal and there are consequences. It is astounding that marijuana was so important to her.

Drug laws that make a plant illegal and leads to a situation of desperation where a young woman would lose her life over some plants.

LE violating the trust she obviously placed in them to protect her when she was acting as an informant through sloppiness, ignorance or incompetence, whichever the case.

LE disclaiming any responsibility in the matter when if not for them, she wouldn't have been in the situation. We have lots of criminal code and enhanced sentencing based on the "if not for the actions of _______" scenario not to mention civil liability based on the same concepts.

There is nothing about this story to give anyone faith in the laws, LE or human nature.

Legba

imported post

In Ohio, she'd have gotten a ticket and might have been able to pay it out without even a hearing (possession of under 100g is a minor misdemeanor). No way the cops would waste their time here with some low-level pot smoker if they wanted higher-ups in the drug and gun rackets. This was entirely preventable.

-ljp

vinnie

imported post

"Hoffman's body was not found until two days later, with multiple gun shot wounds traced to the gun she was supposed to have bought."

How was it traced?

Dustin

imported post

vinnie wrote:
"Hoffman's body was not found until two days later, with multiple gun shot wounds traced to the gun she was supposed to have bought."

How was it traced?

Right, especially since she wasn't trying to buy a specific gun. They just said buy a gun.

Eitherway using her fro drugs, I can see, but a Gun Deal ?!? No way.

I'm sure like usual we don't know the whole story, but I'm pretty sure she probably wasn't the sweet 23 yr old daddy's girl were being told about here.

Dustin

imported post

On another note, I was thinking about something.

I know stings can go bad, but when they do aren't the Cops there immediately ?

If they were watching her, and saw the deal go bad, how would they wait 2 days ?

MAYBE, b/c it wasn't a sting at all.

I think they quite simply told her what they would like her to do and sent her on her way, fewdays later, month maybe, she's dead.

Eitherway, I surely feel for the Father of this child.

I tell you whatdoes piss me off though. Is how many timesdo you here the LEO's say, please let the Police do their jobs. Yet here it seems as if they couldn't do their jobs without the help of a 23 yr old ?

Somehting's not right about this story.

Panos1296

imported post

As long as govt continues to tell you what you can or cannot put in your own body, these senseless deaths in the drug war will continue. A young woman is dead now and govt bears aleast partresponsibilty for her death.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=left]"Do we feel responsible? We're responsible for the safety of this community," Jones said, labeling Hoffman a "criminal" because she was caught twice with a baggie of marijuana.[/align]​
[align=left]That's right, all those potheads deserve to die. Underage drinkers too. Maybe cops should shoot speeders on sight as well. It's for the "safety of the community".[/align][align=left]I don't want your safety anymore.
[/align]