• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENSE LEAGUE

curtiswr

imported post

They are actively looking for trouble so as to "issue their own sort of justice."

Just doesn't sound like something I would want to be affiliated with if I were in the position of having to use a firearm for self defense. I'm sure the news and the court would have a field day with it and one associated with "baiting criminals" in order to "issue their own sort of justice." :uhoh:

curtiswr

imported post

Okay, well if it is fake I still think it's a bad idea to have it hanging up. The purpose is obviously to make it seem real and seem like there is a threat to criminals/thugs in the neighborhood. If they are part of a gang, which it seems like they would be just from reading the flyer, they are probably territorial are could see it as a challenge and end up wrongly assuming that any regular ol' Joe walking his dog is bait or that he could be part of it and end up beating the heck out of him just because of that assumption.

jbone

imported post

Let’s say for a minute it’s real.
In the eyes of a thug it may seem like a threat, an invitation to rumble they are though guys in their minds with ultra ego’s and reputations to up hold, now they have just been challenged by a new rival in public. On the organizations part it reads as a promise to vigilante justice and surly a guarantee to more neighborhood violence.
I citizen group to stay away form, unless you don’t mind a first year public defender defending you on a murder rap, where your words publicly solicit violence".

I don't want to quote myown replyI posted on S&W above, but these folks if realare putting the neighborhood at risk.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

These folks, real or not, are putting every LAC carrying a gun in the neighborhood at risk. An anti-gun prosecutor could use these posters to imply that an otherwise lawful SD shooting was actually related to the posters or instigated by them. It could essentially shift the burden in court to the LAC trying to affirmatively defend against this confounding issue. While I think it likely that the people who put up these posters had their hearts in the right place, I think their methods are misguided.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree. Its a locally organized "feel safe" campaign that will have unintended adverse consequences.
It also sounds like a great chance for the local OC'ers to educate them and show them how to actually be safer.

jbone

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
While I think it likely that the people who put up these posters had their hearts in the right place, I think their methods are misguided.
Agree. They should have been a little softer, less threateningwith community safety in mind when wording.

ADD: I posted this on the Ohio board; maybe the OC’ers in Ohio can educate them.