• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrabba's Roanoke, VA

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Back at the end of May, 2008 my girlfriend and I dined at the Carrabba's in Roanoke like we had on several other occasions and the wait and meal started out well enough just like it had the few other times we were there. In all of the times that I visited I carried my pistol in a discreet manner and never had the first issue, however this night was different. This night Jason Kroeger had recently taken over as Proprietor, which means he owns a small share in the operations of the restaurant. Jason was new from North Carolina and thought that our laws (Virginia) were similar to what he was used to in NC. As such he noticed my holstered firearm when I got up to use the restroom and met me there shortly after I entered and told me that I could not have my firearm in the restaurant.

Upon this statement I asked if this was a new policy and he informed that it was illegal to carry a firearm in a place which served alcohol. Knowing better I briefed him on the law and told him that openly carried firearms are the only way to carry in places selling alcohol for consumption in our Commonwealth, but I gladly told him that if he desired I'd cancel my order and take my business elsewhere. At this point he told me that he was new and not familiar with the laws and asked me this time if I would mind putting the gun in the car while I dined. I again pleasantly reiterated my statement that I would not put my gun in the car and dine, but I would gladly cancel my order (which had just been taken) and take my money elsewhere at his request. I then asked if he would mind checking my statements with other management (notknowing he was chief) while I returned to my seatto wait to see ifhe would allow me to dine. He agreed to this and we spoke several more timesthrough the dinner service regarding wherehe could find the applicable laws and again once he determined that my statement regarding the law was correct.

Althoughhe eventually agreed that I was correct in the law, he took the matter further and contacted his district management during the time I was thereand was told that they would rather not have armed customers in their stores, which included all of the Carrabba's in Virginia. He further asked that I not return to his establishment carrying my firearm and stated that he would put up a sign informing the public that gun carriers were not welcome in his store. I was, however,allowed to finish my dinner armed so my girlfriend and I finished and left. Since I did not have any of the VCDL's "No Guns, No Money" cards I assured Mr. Kroeger that my experience would be shared with others so that neither you all or he would be inconvenienced and further stated that I do not give my business to places that do not allow me to arm myself for protection and from then on would be giving my business to his competition instead. When I returned home that night, I sent a statement about my visit to the corporate office at www.carrabbas.com, however I never receieved a replyof any sort.

Although it has been about 2 months since that incident I just yesterday managed to get back down to Roanoke, so I thought I'd share the pictures that I captured from the front of the Roanoke Carrabba's. As you can seeJason has done an admirable job of posting his distaste forlawfulgun carriers and has provided this lovely sign in a position thatgives greater prominence to his thoughtsabout lawful gun carriers than the times that the store is actually in business to serve food. If any of you had given your business to this Carrabba's, make sure Jason Kroeger (540) 265-0961 knows that you will be taking yourmoney to his competitors because of his prohibition. It might even be worth your while to let the corporate offices know that you'll be giving your business to their competitors as well. Enjoy the pictures. :)

doug23838

imported post

A happy customer tells 10 people.

An unhappy one tells 100.

FWIW, Carrabbas, Outback, and Bonefish grill, are all owned by Kangaroo Holdings. (Another public-to-private).

Kangaroo is controlled by an investor group including Bain Capital Partners and investment funds affiliated with Catterton Management.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I open carried there once, but it was several months ago and haven't been to Roanoke in quite a while. That's a shame because they actually had pretty good food.

Bundabar

imported post

I've carried at the Carrabba's in Fredericksburg 2 or 3 times with no problems. I don't carry anything as prominent as a 1911 though, just my Glock G27.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug what search did you do with Google and what were you trying to share? The links you provided gave no hits on Google. If you tell us what your search criteria were we could probably reproduce it. :)

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That was the point of his comment, no hits. He used google to search the Carrabba's website for the word firearm and the word gun and got nothing. Indicating that they aren't proud enough of their policy to make it public.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I see. Well the NRA doesn't have them listed as one of their business which are against firearm owners, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

eyesopened

imported post

Thanks for posting. I have carried in the Dale City location and nothing was said and I didn't see any signs. I'll have to swing by this afternoon to check as I haven't been there in a while.

I wonder if this is a case of this store being a franchise so they can set what their store policy is. TGIF is on VCDL's anti-list, but I've dined at the Springfield location a few times and nothing was said and no signs were posted.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

From what I understand about the way that Carrabba's is set up, while the restaurants are controlled at the corporate level to some degree, proprietors (General Managers) have invested some of their own money into the restaurant such that they get a portion of the returns in addition to salary. Further, district management has a personal investment as well in each of the stores within the district such that they benefit from the profits as well. According to what Jason Kroeger (proprietor at Roanoke store) told methe district management wishes to forbid carriage of firearms within all stores in Virginia, however to my knowledge I'm the only person who has had an issue at any Carrabba's and his store is the only I know of that is posted.

hsmith

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
From what I understand about the way that Carrabba's is set up, while the restaurants are controlled at the corporate level to some degree, proprietors (General Managers) have invested some of their own money into the restaurant such that they get a portion of the returns in addition to salary. Further, district management has a personal investment as well in each of the stores within the district such that they benefit from the profits as well. According to what Jason Kroeger (proprietor at Roanoke store) told methe district management wishes to forbid carriage of firearms within all stores in Virginia, however to my knowledge I'm the only person who has had an issue at any Carrabba's and his store is the only I know of that is posted.
Well, he certainly will not be making a profit off of any of us and anyone we talk to! Thousands of dollars over the stretch of a few years lost, not quite the best financial decision.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If it is for all stores in Virginia we should pass this info along to the VCDL so it can go on their list as well.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The issue was reported to the VCDL last month and I've been working with a contact to provide what info I can. I provided these pictures and more to my contact yesterday, so perhaps something will come soon.

eyesopened

imported post

Dang'it and they had really good Chicken Marsala too. But if this is the stance they want to take then I'll have to find another joint.