• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabela's does NOT permit Open Carry!!!

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

GO read the Idaho thread on Cabela's. Myself and two others who were OCing got Cabela's to change their corporate policy within TWO business days, thanks to calls and emails from this site! This was last year. Many managers don't know about it, so politely ask them to call corporate to sort things out. If your state allows OC or CC, no Cabela's OFFICIAL policy is to follow state law.
Read the Idaho thread on this.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

george01 wrote:
I often open carry in the Hamburg Cabela's store, I was there this past Sat. and they have a sign on the door welcoming gun carriers open or not .
The sign must be fairly New because I was there about a month ago and did not see that one. I will be going again soon, open carrying of course..Thanks for the update.:D

george007

allentown sometimes Philly, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Your welcome,

There is a sign that's on the left set of doors that asks to check in firearms that will be getting repair ect. then there is a new sign to the right that welcomes open carriers or concealed if you have a permit or something like that. I was there for awhile with my son and no problems.

Good luck

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gnbrotz wrote:
UPDATE

This afternoon, I had a very nice phone conversation with Bruce Biedenharn, store manager at the Hamburg, PA Cabela's.

I reviewed the two recent incidents that I was aware of (one from here, one from PAFOA), and inquired if their carry policy had changed at all since I spoke to him last September. He stated that it has not. At my request, he will be mailing me a letter on Company letterhead stating their policy, and reviewing that policy at all daily employee meetings for the next week, which should cover the large majority, if not all, of their employees.

He apologized for the incidents, and I told him I understood that turnover and a large staff seemed to be the main culprit and that based on my previous conversation with him last year, and the impression he gave me then, his response is exactly what I expected.

For the record:
If a firearm is brought into the store for service, etc., it needs to be unloaded and 'checked' upon entry. However, lawful carry of a firearm for personal defense, open or concealed, is absolutely permitted in the store.

As soon as I receive the letter, I'll scan and post it here as well.

Greg, did you ever receive that letter from the store manager? If so, could you please post it. I know you are a very busy guy, but when you have some time, I would like to see it.

I was at the store last night, looking for a new tent, and I noticed the signs (it is on several doors, going in and coming out). One is about checking your guns if you are having service or appraisals done and the other says that the gun checking does not apply to concealed/carry permit holders. It says nothing about Open Carry. I know that the manager has said many times that open carry is allowed, but it would be nice if the signs stated the fact that open carry is permited also. It would help to inform the public as to the options of gun owners.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No, I never did receive the letter. I was there last Saturday, and photographed the signs - which are typical at most sporting goods chains AFAIK. I did not see anything along the lines of what george01 reported above.

george007

allentown sometimes Philly, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I will go again this weekend. There was the normal signs that are all over about checking in for repair ect. but there was one sign that was typed in med size letter on blank paper (not really a sign) that stated about open and concealed carrying.

I thought it was werd to only have the one and so many of the others. I will update.