• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lehi PD encounter

Status
Not open for further replies.

thx997303

imported post

I agree, I could have handled htat part better. Sorry about the italics, they wont turn off.

It's quite a sore spot for me. Lot's of history there, and every single officer in Lehi, while they may not know me in particular, know my past.

And they all know that it's a dang miracle that I turned out to be an honest law abiding citizen. And they also know that I have a defend my family, code of honor.

And knowing my history, merely even suggesting that I, a 20 year old father, who became independent of his parents at 16, who has a history of not being taken care of by, or even cared about by, my parents for long stretches of my life, saying something like that is enough to get some people slapped.

With this, I believe I did quite well with the whole encounter. A few years ago I would have been cussing him out something fierce. And I would have went to jail.

Luckily, I have gained control of my temper, for the most part.

Refer to the other situations I have posted. Morons, and Morons day 2.

While not perfect, I did handle those situations okay.

Jared

imported post

There is nothing in Utah law to stop you from carrying on any out of state permit. May I recommend getting a Maine Permit, Utah by law has to allow it. It does not mention that you have to be 21 to carry a firearm, the law only says you have to be at least 21 to get a Utah permit.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Jared wrote:
There is nothing in Utah law to stop you from carrying on any out of state permit. May I recommend getting a Maine Permit, Utah by law has to allow it. It does not mention that you have to be 21 to carry a firearm, the law only says you have to be at least 21 to get a Utah permit.

That is correct Jared.

As long as you have a Permit that is recognized in Utah you can CC and OC loaded no natter what the age. Id you have a CFP from another state when you are 18 you are good to go.

Get the Maine permit:celebrate

PavePusher

imported post

Just to break the tension a bit, Protectedby9mm wrote "THX vs. the Cows"!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::celebrate:lol::celebrate:lol::lol::lol: Sounds like a really bad B-minus movie!!!!

Oh, and by the way, THX i think you did O.K. Like almost any situation, it could have been a little better, could have been a lot worse. Analyse what you did right, and what you did wrong, make mental notes for any furthar encounters.

Wisdom comes to those who are patient. Are we there yet?!

bane

imported post

I agree. I think it went pretty well. If I were a LEO, based on what I HEARD, I would've been OK with it... the only exception was the bit about "I can cite stuff for you but I don't feel like it"... that part would've pissed me off b/c that sends the message that either you don't care about my opinion (which is just plain offensive) or you don't really know and you are trying to bluff your way past me. Either way, it comes across like you don't respect the LEO enough to take him seriously.

BUT OTHER THAN THAT ONE THING, I think the rest went just fine. Good job!

Now go tell yer wife to stop feeding those damn cows!!! :dude:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

bane wrote:
I agree. I think it went pretty well. If I were a LEO, based on what I HEARD, I would've been OK with it... the only exception was the bit about "I can cite stuff for you but I don't feel like it"... that part would've pissed me off b/c that sends the message that either you don't care about my opinion (which is just plain offensive) or you don't really know and you are trying to bluff your way past me. Either way, it comes across like you don't respect the LEO enough to take him seriously.

BUT OTHER THAN THAT ONE THING, I think the rest went just fine. Good job!

Now go tell yer wife to stop feeding those damn cows!!! :dude:
Hrrmm..we DON'T.

you don't care about my opinion

A LEO is a LAW enforcement Officer and NOT an OPINION enforcement Officer.

TJ

thx997303

imported post

TJ is right, as long as he is wearing that uniform, I do not care for his opinion.

Only the facts matter to me. Though I could have done better there.

Mostly i said that because he didn't appear interested in any way.

I had meant to say "but I'm sure you know them too."

Maybe that would have been worse?

LovesHisXD45

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
TJ is right, as long as he is wearing that uniform, I do not care for his opinion.

Only the facts matter to me. Though I could have done better there.

Mostly i said that because he didn't appear interested in any way.

I had meant to say "but I'm sure you know them too."

Maybe that would have been worse?

:) I figured out a good way to diffuse most situations using common sense and human psychology. Authority figures are easily calmed if you just let them think their "opinion" is worth something.

Example:

Cop: "You should not be carrying out in the open like that. It makes people uncomfortable."

Me: "Hmm you are probably right."

Cop: "Well, if you keep doing that, we are going to have to keep coming and have to deal with it when people call."

Me: "I'll give that some good consideration." *shake cops hand and say* "Have a nice day officer."

Then when he/she/they leave. I just keep on going like they were never there and keep OC anyway. Nex time they have to "deal" with me again while OC. I will just use the same BS on them and keep being nice and keep letting them think they are gettin through, but in the end, I'm not going to do a darn thing they say. Eventually, they are going to figure out what I'm doing, and the next time they encounter me, they will just ID that it's me and then go right back to their car and drive away. ROFL

Kevin

thx997303

imported post

Okay guys. I have figured out the design for the THX Vs. The Cows t-shirts. :D

It should say THX
Vs.
The Cows

on the Back, and on the front, where you would normally put a logo, you put

THX-1
Cows-0

And the t-shirt shall be black, or navy blue. With white lettering.

Now as to the font, This one will work nicely. That's Impact.

I seriously want a shirt that says this now. Hilarious. :D

Anybody know of a good place to get shirts made?

bane

imported post

I strongly disagree with the sentiment that you shouldn't care about a LEO's opinion.

That's b/c caring about a person's opinion is an aspect of showing respect for that person. You can respect someone and disagree with their opinion, but still 'CARE' about their opinion.

But if you say (or demonstrate) that you don't care about a person's opinion you are, in effect, saying that you don't respect that person either. I think anytime you encounter a LEO you should give him default respect until he abuses you. By doing so, you show you are willing to cooperate and you will typically go into the situation much less confrontationally.

Of course, you aren't mandated by law to respect him. But it's your own ass if you don't. Remember, he ultimately has his fellow blue shirts to protect him if he crosses the line... but he can push that line pretty far and YOU have nothing to protect you.

Patience and respect are your best defense against an ugly encounter.

Were I a LEO and you demonstrated to me that you don't care about my opinion or respect me, I would probably be inclined to harass you every time you did something even slightly out of the norm. Call it what you want, but it's still human nature.

You are best served by making the LEO your friend, not your enemy. You choose to offend them at your own peril.

scorpioajr

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Okay guys. I have figured out the design for the THX Vs. The Cows t-shirts. :D

It should say THX
Vs.
The Cows

on the Back, and on the front, where you would normally put a logo, you put

THX-1
Cows-0

Thats what im talking about!

LovesHisXD45

imported post

bane wrote:
I strongly disagree with the sentiment that you shouldn't care about a LEO's opinion.

That's b/c caring about a person's opinion is an aspect of showing respect for that person. You can respect someone and disagree with their opinion, but still 'CARE' about their opinion.

But if you say (or demonstrate) that you don't care about a person's opinion you are, in effect, saying that you don't respect that person either. I think anytime you encounter a LEO you should give him default respect until he abuses you. By doing so, you show you are willing to cooperate and you will typically go into the situation much less confrontationally.

Of course, you aren't mandated by law to respect him. But it's your own ass if you don't. Remember, he ultimately has his fellow blue shirts to protect him if he crosses the line... but he can push that line pretty far and YOU have nothing to protect you.

Were I a LEO and you demonstrated to me that you don't care about my opinion or respect me, I would probably be inclined to harass you every time you did something even slightly out of the norm. Call it what you want, but it's still human nature.

You are best served by making the LEO your friend, not your enemy. You choose to offend them at your own peril.

That's why I would make them think I'm their friend, but on the inside, it isn't happening. What they don't know don't hurt em. :pYou can "respect" somebody and not be their friend. I hate my step mom, but when she is around, if you didn't know better, you would think we were best buddies.

bane

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
bane wrote:

That's why I would make them think I'm their friend, but on the inside, it isn't happening. What they don't know don't hurt em. :pYou can "respect" somebody and not be their friend. I hate my step mom, but when she is around, if you didn't know better, you would think we were best buddies.

True. But isn't this missing the point???

LEO's are not robots. They don't all have exactly the same views, temperament, educational background, religious leanings, etc. They are individuals. As such, don't you owe it to them AT LEAST AS MUCH (if not more) as you would a stranger to lend them certain amount of default respect (as I said, until they abuse you)???

Engaging them with 2-faced games might work, depending on how good of a liar you are, but isn't it fairly unethical if that particular LEO has done nothing wrong against you and your engagement with him thus far is most likely based on a misunderstanding???

tarzan1888

imported post

bane wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
bane wrote:

True. But isn't this missing the point???

LEO's are not robots. They don't all have exactly the same views, temperament, educational background, religious leanings, etc. They are individuals. As such, don't you owe it to them AT LEAST AS MUCH (if not more) as you would a stranger to lend them certain amount of default respect (as I said, until they abuse you)???

Engaging them with 2-faced games might work, depending on how good of a liar you are, but isn't it fairly unethical if that particular LEO has done nothing wrong against you and your engagement with him thus far is most likely based on a misunderstanding???

You, Bane, are exactly right.

Tarzan

xRapidDavex

imported post

sfemti33 wrote:

Also, in response to anothers post, I dont think this place has gotten more hostile, you just have a variety of people now posting. Not just the regular OC for everything, but people with different opinions on that.

Actually, I was referring to comments like this, not the fact that people are challenging views.

He was insulting me. That is all there is too it. He knows that is bull. He also knows that I moved out of my mother's house at 16, because he was the responding officer when I had to get the keys to my car, and my mother wouldn't let me in. Bull. Sorry, but you pissed me off with that one. Know the story, then comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.