• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabela's does not allow open carry in PA store

Browning

imported post

On Saturday afternoon I visited the Cablea's store in Hamburg, PA. Before entering the storeI looked for signs to indicate whether or not firearms are allowed. There was a sign that stated people with CC permits were welcome, but it did not mention OC. The sign also said that any firearm that was brought in to the storeto be repaired or to be sold had to be checkedwith the greeter. When I entered the store I asked the greeter if OC was permitted and he looked at me slightly bewildered. I was not OC'ing at the time, but I wanted to know for future reference if this is something that they would allow. He asked me if I was a police officer and I stated no. My first reaction was that he was not sure if it was legal or if it was allowed in the store. At that time I proceeded to give him a PA Guns Rights brocure which I printed from this site. I believe he then said that only LE is allowed to open carry. At that point I continued into the store. When I reached the gun counter I politely asked another "gentleman" if OC was permitted in the store. He did not respond right away so I gave him a brocure as well, which he then proceeded to "toss" to the side. He then turned around and asked another person behind the counter if OC was permitted. He stated that it is legal in PA, but that they do not allow OC in the store because it is a store policy. He said this is because it scares customers. At that point I turned around and walked away.

With that said I must say that I was very disappointed and upset. I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but I sure would like to hear your opinions. And I'm sure I will get plenty, LOL There are several reasons for me feeling this way. #1. I spend a lot of money at Cabela's and I feel that I should be able to partake in any legal activitiy while I'm shopping in their store. #2 If a nationwide sporting goods store with so much clout and popularity does not allow you to OC why should any other store. This is a store that I feel should support anyone who is legally carrying a firearm, whether CC or OC. If this type of business does not allow you toopenly carry a firearm thenwho CAN we expect to allow it in the future. Ifsuch a store has this type of mentality why should we as legal gun owners support them. In my opinion, they are supposed to promote and support our Rights as gun owners and THEN we in return should support their business.

Before I asked the question of whether or not it was permitted I thought for sure that it would be ok. I thought what a "safe" andgreat environment to educate the public this type of store could be. But boy was I wrong. I look forward to hearing other opinions on this situation. I also want to add that I will be sending an email and/or a letter to Cabela's corporate office. I also would ask others to do the same if you agree with me. Thanks for reading.

Dustin

imported post

If there are no signs, Never Ask anyone who doesn't have a firearm on them also. The answer will always be the same.

"Are you an LEO?" =Which Equals=I don't know the law, but I'm about to give you a Brainwashed media BS Answer of NO."

If OC is legal in your state, DOIT unless you see a Sign that says Don't Do It.

Simple :)

Now if the Manager/Store Owner ask you to leave, than so be it, and get the hell out. Private Property.

If an employee or customeris whinning about it, who cares. Nothing happens until the Manager of the day says leave. WHich is not always the case. I had a 60 yr. old greeter at Walmart ask me where I thought I was going with that weapon on my side as he literaly stepped in front of me. (mind you I still look like a Marine) as in I could maybe pass for an LEO. I said, sir, I'm not sure where you from, but here the US constitution, and the LA Constitution both clearly state that I can legally defend myself and carry my firearm OPENLY whereverI choose to go, unless the owner/manager requests thatI not do so. So if you're finished harrasing me, I'd like to continue on with my day. He said, Well you just hold ona minute. I'm thinking Crap, he must have rehearsed this ! Within seconds a Tall man named Steve comes out in a fast paced walk (without the old man)and says, "Sir I'm so sorry for your inconvience, all responsible gun owners are welcome in our store, It's the one's that hide them, we are worried about."

Now, I garuntee he wasn't talking about folks who CC, he was talking about Criminals. But the irony is defintely there ;)

I've yet to see the old man again :?

yeahYeah

imported post

it "scares" customers? what kind of PC, sissy society do we live in? Cabelas is all about outdoors/hunting/shooting...anyone in there is into one or more of these activities so how the hell can it "scare" people?

hsmith

imported post

Browning,

You already have your answer in the other thread you created http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/14188.html

The issue is, (as it has been discussed before), the managers don't want people handling loaded firearms if they are trying new holsters. That is the part that worries them.

The manager thinks this policy means "no guns in the store" but they are far off. Contact corporate and have them sort it out with the manager. The manager is simply ignorant of the company policy. They don't want people trying out their holsters and handling loaded guns in the store.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you walked in with a friend would you ask the clerk if it were ok for you to discuss politics with your friend in a normal conversational volume voice while shopping or if you had to whisper so no one else could hear your conversation?

sraacke

imported post

I just got home from running errands which included a trip down to Gonzales, Louisiana. While there I decided to drop in at the Cabelas and look around since I had never been to one. The place was nice but I fail to see what all of the hype is about.

I wasn't OCing but when I asked about bringing a gun into the store a sales person who was helping me pick out a holster said "As long as you unload it before coming in the store we don't have a problem with it." I didn't get into a discussion regarding legally OCing, etc... I got my holster, had lunch at the resturant up stairs and came home.

Prometheus

imported post

Browning wrote:
On Saturday afternoon I visited the Cablea's store in Hamburg, PA. Before entering the storeI looked for signs to indicate whether or not firearms are allowed. There was a sign that stated people with CC permits were welcome, but it did not mention OC.
Fault number 1-
The signs are uniformed at all cabelas. You THOUGHT it said CC. Re-read it. Unless they posted different sign that issued by corporate (highly doubtful).

When I entered the store I asked the greeter if OC was permitted and he looked at me slightly bewildered.
Fault number 2-
You asked the LEAST informed member of the store team about store policy. If you feel the need to ask (you shouldn't), ask the person in charge. For Cabelas, thats the floor manager.

When I reached the gun counter I politely asked another "gentleman" if OC was permitted in the store.

Fault 3-
Asking another random employee. Speak to someone in charge. Get a name, title ect.

When the Cabelas first opened here I KNEW corporate policy was to allow OC or CC provided it is legal in the state.

I did have a employee tell me I couldn't carry openly. My wife was actually carrying in a flap holster and I was concealed (grand opening, lots of cops, new to OC I was worried that both of us shouldn'tt OC at the same time, as it turns out tottaly unfounded fear). They said since it was basically concealed in the holster it was "ok for today". Spoke to a asst. manager at the time.

I didn't press the issue because I wanted to know for certain who they needed to contact at corporate.

I told the lady OC was legal and that it was ok per corporate policy and to please check with them on Monday. She said she would.

I go back in on Wensday and (I was concealed just in case) and spoke to her again. She said she didn't call corporate but her manager said it was 'HIS call to make and there would be no OC in HIS store'.

I asked to speak to him and he came down. I felt like asking if his last name was Cabela but I bit my tounge. Long sotry short he said OC was illegal in Indiana and said "I'd know I have a CCW permit". I made him take it out and read it.

I then told him it was Cabelas store (Politley) and that he needed to do two things.

#1 verify OC is legal in Indiana and #2 verify with corporate. He said he would later and started to walk off. I said:

"Thats what I was told last week. There are three Hammond cops right there (bunch of cops on duty for the grand opening still at front door) so you can settle that issue right now and it's 2pm and 'Ms XYZ' is still at corporate for you to call. I have the number if you need it and I was assured this would be handled by my next visit."
continued.....

Prometheus

imported post

Anyway after quite awhile talking with the local PD he looks bewildered at first and then angry.

Grabs his phone and after a very short call (45 seconds) hangs up looking even more infuriated.

Walks over to me and says "you're ok to carry" spins on his heals and starts storming off. I say "Excuse me" he stops and turns around a bit red in the face and I say "Thank you. I appreciate your clearing this up." He calms down a bit, I guess he didn't plan on being thanked. I proceed to say "It'd probably be a good idea to bring this up at your next staff meeting so everyone is on the same page, I know I'm not the only one who open carries around here and this is likely to become and issue again if it isn't properly addressed." I got hsi card so I'd have it should I be questioned again if he wasn't there and failed to pass on the message.

Never had an issue from that day forward.

Be polite and when they continue to blow you off be firm. I insisted the last time because more of his tone with me and air of superiority. Had he been nicer and not condescending I probably would have left it at him saying "I'll check later" and came back the following week. I live about 5 minutes from Cabelas so for me I drop by there once a week for something or for lunch anyway.

In short Open Carry is CORPORATE POLICY APPROVED at Cabelas.

Enjoy and always go to the manager or owner. Don't fool around with the people who are just there to collect a pay check and not have a vested interest in your repeat visits.

Dustin

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
Anyway after quite awhile talking with the local PD he looks bewildered at first and then angry.

Grabs his phone and after a very short call (45 seconds) hangs up looking even more infuriated.

Walks over to me and says "you're ok to carry" spins on his heals and starts storming off. I say "Excuse me" he stops and turns around a bit red in the face and I say "Thank you. I appreciate your clearing this up." He calms down a bit, I guess he didn't plan on being thanked. I proceed to say "It'd probably be a good idea to bring this up at your next staff meeting so everyone is on the same page, I know I'm not the only one who open carries around here and this is likely to become and issue again if it isn't properly addressed." I got hsi card so I'd have it should I be questioned again if he wasn't there and failed to pass on the message.

Never had an issue from that day forward.

Be polite and when they continue to blow you off be firm. I insisted the last time because more of his tone with me and air of superiority. Had he been nicer and not condescending I probably would have left it at him saying "I'll check later" and came back the following week. I live about 5 minutes from Cabelas so for me I drop by there once a week for something or for lunch anyway.

In short Open Carry is CORPORATE POLICY APPROVED at Cabelas.

Enjoy and always go to the manager or owner. Don't fool around with the people who are just there to collect a pay check and not have a vested interest in your repeat visits.

+1

I seem to be on the same page as you. Check out post 2.

sraacke

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
and it's 2pm and 'Ms XYZ' is still at corporate for you to call. I have the number if you need it and I was assured this would be handled by my next visit."
continued.....

Hhhhmmmmmm ..... That would be a very useful number and name to have.

jbone

imported post

OC in the Lacy, WA store on Sat the 26th. No problems.

Prometheus

imported post

yale wrote:
Prometheus wrote:
and it's 2pm and 'Ms XYZ' is still at corporate for you to call. I have the number if you need it and I was assured this would be handled by my next visit."
continued.....

Hhhhmmmmmm ..... That would be a very useful number and name to have.
Don't have it handy, but someone already posted the text of the letter they got from corporate in another thread with a similar title. It was the lead sales associate at corporate, really nice Lady. FWIW The floor manager knew the number by heart when he went to dial it.