• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suppose I put the Sheriff on notice?

gravedigger

imported post

In the interest of maintaining my "no surprises" approach to law enforcement, I am wondering if I should pen a letter to the San Diego Sheriff (William Kolender) factually stating my intention to UOC where it is legal, and offering the make, model and serial number of the gun I will carry (which is legally registered to me) the make, model and license number of the vehicle(s) I will be driving along with photo(s), and a general description of the clothes I will be wearing and a big 8x10 glossy photo of my smiling face during those times I am exercising my 2nd amendment right.

The sheriff here contends that if one citizen knows the law, it is "deemed" that ALL citizens know the law. Therefore, if I inform the sheriff of my intent to OC legally during the course of my daily travels, ALL sheriff's deputies will be deemed to have been made aware of this fact.

Then, when they get the call about a guy wearing a gun in a holster, and the sheriff asks for a description of the "suspect," they cannot walk into a court and claim that they had no previous knowledge of this, since a certified and notarized letter would be on file in their office.

If they want to stop me to make sure it is unloaded, and that the serial number is correct, and yadda yadda, that is fine. I would not mind seeing the Sheriff's deputies do their jobs. How then, could they claim to respond to a call on the assumption that I have evil intentions?

Any thoughts?

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gravedigger wrote:
In the interest of maintaining my "no surprises" approach to law enforcement, I am wondering if I should pen a letter to the San Diego Sheriff (William Kolender) factually stating my intention to UOC where it is legal, and offering the make, model and serial number of the gun I will carry (which is legally registered to me) the make, model and license number of the vehicle(s) I will be driving along with photo(s), and a general description of the clothes I will be wearing and a big 8x10 glossy photo of my smiling face during those times I am exercising my 2nd amendment right.

The sheriff here contends that if one citizen knows the law, it is "deemed" that ALL citizens know the law. Therefore, if I inform the sheriff of my intent to OC legally during the course of my daily travels, ALL sheriff's deputies will be deemed to have been made aware of this fact.

Then, when they get the call about a guy wearing a gun in a holster, and the sheriff asks for a description of the "suspect," they cannot walk into a court and claim that they had no previous knowledge of this, since a certified and notarized letter would be on file in their office.

If they want to stop me to make sure it is unloaded, and that the serial number is correct, and yadda yadda, that is fine. I would not mind seeing the Sheriff's deputies do their jobs. How then, could they claim to respond to a call on the assumption that I have evil intentions?

Any thoughts?

LE, like many other divisions of gov. work on their own understanding of the rules. The logic they use to supress and punish us does not work when used against them. I would not give them such information merely because then they could just sit and wait for you to mess up and pounce.

Keep them guessing and don't make it easy.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gravedigger, In the event that you were ever arrested, I think that these kinds of "on notice" actions could help you win a civil case against the arresting officers.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

agreed, but they can also be used against you if they catch you in a technicality as well though. I would think it would be better to KNOW THE LAW like the sheriff says and if and when you do get pulled over or detained then give them the case law. Why give them all your information BEFORE you did anything wrong or anything they "assume" as wrong?

I just find it sad that people have to go to these lengths to use a RIGHT they were given by birth and hope it does change real soon.

Why not just give them "general" oc information and not the information ON YOU? If one knows the law then they all so why make yourself out to be the oc martyr in your city when you can send that same noterized letter as a "concerned LOCAL citizen" wanting to make sure the local pd understood the oc'ing laws and then forward that same letter to the local news media.

A general "oc intent" letter from a concerned citizen would have more impact than a letter from the ONE guy who can be seen in this color pants, shirt, with this gun who lives here.

Just my thoughts.

MudCamper wrote:
gravedigger, In the event that you were ever arrested, I think that these kinds of "on notice" actions could help you win a civil case against the arresting officers.

demnogis

imported post

Anything you send in can and WILL be used against you... I think you would be giving them ammunition. You're giving them "intent". That's almost like telling them you're a red light on the console, and to just watch you until you falter.

Now, sending a certified letter to the sheriff showing the legalities of openly carrying, the sacramento memo etc... You would have documented proof that is was received and processed. Therefor in any incident involving such, you would have evidence showing they should have known better and you did make an effort to make it known and the blame rests on them.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

Exactly and THEN anytime there is an oc issue or someone illegally detained then YOU can happily come out and say, "well I sent them all of the laws regarding ocing here in _______ city and here is the proof that it was sent certified and that this station WAS notified of the current legal rights and decided to go AGAINST our rights and illegally arrest, detain, harrass or whatever this person".

It really could help the overall city doing it that way and then it would also help ANYONE who oc's there versus a one person "I will oc here" notice. Imagine if they put that into law that made it so everyone who wants to oc needs to send in their own personal letter. I can see that being an idea they would like and would NOT be beneficial to us at all IF that got implimented.

demnogis wrote:
Anything you send in can and WILL be used against you... I think you would be giving them ammunition. You're giving them "intent". That's almost like telling them you're a red light on the console, and to just watch you until you falter.

Now, sending a certified letter to the sheriff showing the legalities of openly carrying, the sacramento memo etc... You would have documented proof that is was received and processed. Therefor in any incident involving such, you would have evidence showing they should have known better and you did make an effort to make it known and the blame rests on them.

gravedigger

imported post

Yeah, you have good points. Still, I am sort of an in-your-face kind of guy when it comes to putting someone in their place. I would be completely respectful to the officers while simultaneously reminding them that "they" (The Sheriff's office) are well aware of me, and my decision to LEGALLY exercise my 2nd amendment rights while I move about the county as a free citizen. I'll give it some more thought. I am rather impatient when it comes to tolerating B.S. from liberals. I want to bring the whole thing to a boil and serve them their balls on a platter!

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

and that is why I like America, we are all entitled to do what we damn well please :D

gravedigger wrote:
Yeah, you have good points. Still, I am sort of an in-your-face kind of guy when it comes to putting someone in their place. I would be completely respectful to the officers while simultaneously reminding them that "they" (The Sheriff's office) are well aware of me, and my decision to LEGALLY exercise my 2nd amendment rights while I move about the county as a free citizen. I'll give it some more thought. I am rather impatient when it comes to tolerating B.S. from liberals. I want to bring the whole thing to a boil and serve them their balls on a platter!

gk160

imported post

Would it not be easier to weara concealed firearm that is loaded. If you get caught and it is registered to you, you would only get a ticket for an infraction the first time. Why make a big ordeal over some right where you know some citizen will call police saying there is a man with a gun. Police have every right to detain you and even draw down on you until they determine what your intent is. Plus the caller may have seensomething they thought was suspicious. You can't blame police for investigating a call for service. Nor can you assume that a letter sent to LE ahead of time will keep you from getting called on. I like carrying a pistol as much as anyone but we have to be reasonable.

PS. If you send a letter to the SD County Sheriff, it doesnt mean CHP will get it.

Good Luck

J

cato

imported post

gk160 wrote:
...some citizen will call police saying there is a man with a gun. Police have every right to detain you and even draw down on you until they determine what your intent is. Plus the caller may have seensomething they thought was suspicious. You can't blame police for investigating a call for service.

Welcome gk160! Check out those links. Police must obey the laws and case laws too.

4th Amendment, "Terry" stops, and police procedure regarding "MWG" calls.

"Know your rights" Flex your rights

Some info on CAs guns laws: californiaopencarry.org

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gk160 wrote:
Would it not be easier to weara concealed firearm that is loaded. If you get caught and it is registered to you, you would only get a ticket for an infraction the first time. Why make a big ordeal over some right where you know some citizen will call police saying there is a man with a gun. Police have every right to detain you and even draw down on you until they determine what your intent is. Plus the caller may have seensomething they thought was suspicious. You can't blame police for investigating a call for service. Nor can you assume that a letter sent to LE ahead of time will keep you from getting called on. I like carrying a pistol as much as anyone but we have to be reasonable.

PS. If you send a letter to the SD County Sheriff, it doesnt mean CHP will get it.

Good Luck

J

You advise to break the law and then say that we need to be reasonable. I do not consider violating the law and risking one's right to possess firearms at all to be reasonable.

gravedigger

imported post

gk160 wrote:
Would it not be easier to weara concealed firearm that is loaded. If you get caught and it is registered to you, you would only get a ticket for an infraction the first time.
I would get more than an infraction in CommieFornia. It would be a misdemeanor, and I would lose my firearm, and maybe even my right to OWN a firearm. CommieFornia is not like the United States of America. This is a bastion of LIBERALISM here!

I am not interested in breaking any laws. I am interested in OBEYING laws, and helping LEOs to understand that I am obeying laws as I exercise my rights.

gk160 wrote:

PS. If you send a letter to the SD County Sheriff, it doesnt mean CHP will get it. "

I would likewise notify the CHP, as well as all of the local police departments. I'd even consider putting a PUBLIC NOTICE in the newspaper! It is required for Ficticious Name Statements, so why wouldn't it be valid for such a notification to the various LE agencies?

gk160

imported post

Check out 12025(6)(A)(B) PC. I know the law is confusing. My point is that if you are an unconvicted citizen (No criminal record), the DA's Office most likely will not convict you. Part (A) is carrying the gun loaded and concealed. (B) is not being the registered owner. You have to be in violation of both sections to be convicted. I am not saying you wont encounter problems but the DA probably won't file charges of 12025 PC.

S.E.WI

imported post

gravedigger wrote:

[align=left]The Constitution Comes Before Statutes, Edicts, Ordinances, Rules or Regulations [/align]

Article VI, U.S. Constitution
This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution ; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

"...shall not be infringed." 2A is very clear as is Article VI of the U.S. Constitution but seems to have been forgotten. The sheriff takes an oath to support the U.S. constitution just like judges and legislators. The judges are making rulings that change the 2A. As an in-your-face kind of guy you could ask any involved why they don't honor their oath. Under the Civil Rights Act (code 42 (1983)) anyone that denies a right is liable for any injury caused by that denial. Maybe letters informing them of these facts could make them think twice about violating your rights. (It could cost them $$$$$$) An important key is to get people to understand that whatever right they cherish most could be the next one to go. "Incorporated"? What kind of BS is that?

"I want to bring the whole thing to a boil and serve them their balls on a platter!" We the people would ifwe allhad the guts of our founders.

cato

imported post

gk160 wrote:
Check out 12025(6)(A)(B) PC. Part (A) is carrying the gun loaded and concealed. (B) is not being the registered owner. You have to be in violation of both sections to be convicted.
Not true.

That is just one of thethe criteria for a felony charge. Violate 12025(a) and expect to be prosecuted for the misdemeanor unless you can find an exemption in 12026.1a, 12026.2a, or 12027.

DA's don't convict. They charge and prosecute. If it is a first time offense with no other crimes involved they will offer a decent deal most of the time. Expect some conditions on your probation.

If one is carrying concealed for self defense I recommend using exemption 12026.1a to the letter.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I'm all for sending letters to police stations so you can later claim that they should have known. But identifying yourself and giving them information about you and your sidearm seems semi-detrimental. I'd much rather not talk to the police about anything, and I'd really rather not talk to the police about my guns and what I will be doing with them.

Here's a video on why you should not talk to the police, it's pretty damn interesting: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865

gk160

imported post

Good call. Where I live the DA only prosecutes for an infraction the firast time (100 dollar fine). The are a few outs depending on the jurisdiction.:D

S.E.WI

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
I'm all for sending letters to police stations so you can later claim that they should have known. But identifying yourself and giving them information about you and your sidearm seems semi-detrimental. I'd much rather not talk to the police about anything, and I'd really rather not talk to the police about my guns and what I will be doing with them.

Here's a video on why you should not talk to the police, it's pretty damn interesting: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865

A very good video that I hope all will watch. The police in my family have said the same thing but never explained the extremes that talking could be used. If you really want to worry then you might think about all of our posts and replies being stored for future use and this can be done in many ways without OC having anything to do with it.

As for identifying yourself, maybe you could just be a concerned citizen that informs LE that they are bound to Article VI and could be liable for the denial of rights under the Civil Rights Act of 1983.

I'm not sure that many understand why I have been using Article VI. I have been trying to point out that judges, legislators, states, etc. have been and are violating the supreme law of the land. "The Constitution Comes Before Statutes, Edicts, Ordinances, Rules or Regulations". 2A is very clear, as is Article VI,so how do we end up with statutes, ordinances, rules andregulations that should neverhave been? We have to organize and remind people that we the people are the government and show how violations can affect them too.

awesomeness

imported post

I would advise against puting cops on notice and they will be at your house so if you do be prepared. On the other hand it "might" help or hurt you in a civil suit or a criminal suit.Cops might go out of their way to harass you for the illusion of public safety.