• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Salt Lake County Has a Myriad of Illegal Ordinances

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here are some that stuck out to me - All can be found here.

10.64.070 Permit--Required to obtain weapon.
It is unlawful for any person to purchase or otherwise obtain a pistol, revolver, gun or other concealable weapon without first obtaining a permit from the sheriff. (Prior code § 16-4-5)
Haha anytime anyone buys a handgun without asking permission of the sheriff they are breaking the (illegal) law.

10.64.050 Sales--Recordkeeping requirements.

It is unlawful for any person to sell, loan or give away any pistol, revolver, gun or similar weapon, powder, dynamite or other explosive without first making a full and complete record in a book kept by him for that purpose, containing the name, residence, occupation and nationality of the purchaser, or of each purchaser, and a statement of the purpose for which such item was purchased, together with the number or amount of each article purchased and a description of the same, including the factory number and manufacturer’s name or other description that shall serve the purpose of identification of the particular article or goods sold, and the date when sold.
Such book or register shall be open at all times to the inspection of the sheriff or his representative.
It shall be the duty of any person making such sale, loan or delivery to deliver to the sheriff, at the close of business each day, a copy of the register required to be kept, showing the transactions with regard to such articles for each day. (Prior code § 16-4-3)
Plus if you sell a gun in SL county you have to turn in your paperwork with all details of the sale to the Sheriff by the end of the day...
And the Sheriff can inspect your paperwork anytime he wants....

10.64.060 Sales--Permit prerequisites.

It is unlawful for any person to sell, trade or otherwise furnish to another any pistol, revolver or concealable gun or weapon unless the person to whom the pistol, revolver, gun or weapon is sold, traded or otherwise furnished exhibits and delivers to the person selling, trading or furnishing such pistol, revolver, gun or weapon a permit issued by the sheriff authorizing and permitting the person to purchase or receive such pistol, revolver, gun or other concealable weapon. (Prior code § 16-4-4)
If you've ever sold a gun in SL County without checking the purchase permit of the person you are selling to, your breaking the (illegal) law!

Don't even get me started on the discharge laws of the county... That will be for another post...

What do you say we go visit the county council meeting and let them know this whole section of ordinances is illegal!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

bane

imported post

D94R wrote:
It would seem that those would be treated as blue laws (i think thats the term?), whereas, I don't think anyone would try to convict you of such law/ordinance, yet no one has attempted to have them stricken as it's a moot point since they wouldn't be tried in court anyhow.

Maybe I'm wrong. But it's they kinda seem like the "no donkey in your bathtub past 8PM on a sunday night" type laws.

+1

scorpioajr

imported post

D94R wrote:
It would seem that those would be treated as blue laws (i think thats the term?), whereas, I don't think anyone would try to convict you of such law/ordinance, yet no one has attempted to have them stricken as it's a moot point since they wouldn't be tried in court anyhow.

Maybe I'm wrong. But it's they kinda seem like the "no donkey in your bathtub past 8PM on a sunday night" type laws.
Or:"You can hang a man in the town square if you catch him stealing your horse" (or it might be "killing a Mustang"(IE:wild)...somethig wierd, ill try to find it...)

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
Yes, But if they repeal the entire section, the ban on shooting in SL county goes away.
That county ban is unenforceable anyways. Only municipalities may regulate the discharge of firearms.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
Yes, But if they repeal the entire section, the ban on shooting in SL county goes away.
That county ban is unenforceable anyways. Only municipalities may regulate the discharge of firearms.
That's only partially true.
It's technically unenforceable, but the last guy that got charged with discharging a firearm in the county had to hire Mitch to get him off...
That costs $$$, Money I don't have

thx997303

imported post

I think that the point here is that they have illegal laws. They may not enforce them, but they are there, and if an officer wanted to be vindictive, he sure as heck could cause some grief for any firearms owner.

If they think they can make illegal laws, and that they will go unchallenged. Then they will continue to do so.

So we need to hit 'em where it hurts, and send a message to the entire state that illegal laws will not fly.

scorpioajr

imported post

Pshhh...ya right guys. Look - i don't mean to be the negative one of the group, but how about we try to get an Article V convention going before we try to tackle LOCAL laws...government has been doing this crap to us for DECADES. And no, im not into radicalism or anything, i just have some facts:

Article V The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.

http://www.foavc.org/

swjr

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I think that the point here is that they have illegal laws. They may not enforce them, but they are there, and if an officer wanted to be vindictive, he sure as heck could cause some grief for any firearms owner.

If they think they can make illegal laws, and that they will go unchallenged. Then they will continue to do so.

So we need to hit 'em where it hurts, and send a message to the entire state that illegal laws will not fly.
I think the problem is there's a lot of talk - but who is actually going to make this happen? (I'm not arguing that it SHOULDNT just that it WONT)