This is what is on the Sheriff's website. It doesn't mention a county residency requirement, only the requirement that you be a resident of the state for 30 days. If your driver's license lists a Wake County address, I would think that it would suffice to show you reside in the county. If it lists Charlotte as your address, then you may have a problem. You will need some documentation showing that you actually reside in Wake County. Do you have a lease on where you are living, a utility bill or anything that shows you are living in Wake County?
Requirements for obtaining a Concealed Handgun Permit
Applications are available at the Sheriff's Records Office located on the 2nd floor of the Wake County Public Safety Center, 330 S. Salisbury Street, Raleigh, between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm Monday-Friday. Telephone 919-856-6949.
Applications must be typed or printed and notarized.
Fingerprint Hours: 08:30AM-11:00AM & 1:00PM - 4:00PM
Fees are as follows:
- Application Fee: $80.00
- Renewal Fee: $75.00
- Duplicate $15.00
- Fees are non-refundable and required by State Law.
- Applicant must meet all application requirements
The Applicant must be:
The applicant must not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that would prevent the safe handling of a handgun.
- 21 years of age or older
- a United States citizen
- a resident of North Carolina for 30 days preceding the filing of the application.
At the time of application, the applicant must present:
- An original certificate of completion from a certified course adopted by the Criminal Justice Education Training Standards Commission. (716-6470)
- Two full sets of fingerprints administered by the City County Bureau of Identification. (The cost for this service is $10.00. CCBI is located on the 2nd floor of the Public Safety Center. Note: Do not complete any information on the fingerprint card unless instructed to do so by CCBI or Sheriff's Office staff.)
- Valid photographic identification and proof of residence.