• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BB&T Robbed Again

Repeater

imported post

From Black Velvet, Bruce Li:

BB&T Robbed Again

Once again, a BB&T Bank in the Manassas area was the site of an armed robbery according to aFOX 5 report Why BB&T you ask? When a bank posts a sign prohibiting law-abiding patrons from carrying their firearms lawfully, it signals to would-be criminals that the business is an easy mark and full of unarmed and complacent victims. No bank is more dangerous to do business in than one which ensures instant victim status on the part of all their customers. Thankfully no one was hurt — this time.

Some Comments from the blog entry:

#The people who open carry in VA are a small, but growing group of firearms right advocates. That group probably has far more experience with firearms than the “average joe” as well.

#Probably has more experience means nothing. If you are going to open carry in public in the presence of my family, there should be some requirement that demonstrates you know what you are doing. Probably does not cut it.

#Sure, but what training do you have to go through to open carry? My impression is not much. It is why I am always leery of staying in a setting with someone who carrying it openly.

#Show me some stats that indicate its dangerous for citizens to carry in public. Think about it: what robber would want to go into a bank knowing the odds were good someone inside would have a pistol, and would likely want to protect their money?

#In that situation I’m not sure I as an open carrier would’ve drawn down on the suspects. I say that because the bank doesn’t care that it’s robbed, it’s insured. The people’s deposits are all insured. No one ‘loses’ anything (except for maybe increased fees/rates) for the bank to compensate on increased deposit insurance. I would only draw my weapon if my life or the life of someone else was in immediate danger. So, in my Friday afternoon armchair quarterbacking in this situation I would’ve done nothing but sit there like a sheep. If the criminal had actively attacked someone or I had an overwhelming belief that the criminal would use lethal force then I’d draw down.
I open carry everywhere I am legaly able to. Bank of America has no issue with it. I’ve not been asked to leave from any food establishment in Northern Virginia, etc. Most people just don’t care that I have a weapon on my hip. They assume you are either a cop or that you know what your doing. Just the other day I was shopping in Best Buy for a Playstation 3 and had many kids around me and my openly carried glock. No issues - no screaming mothers, nothing.
As for people carrying (openly or concealed) I don’t see an issue with it nor do I think they ‘must have training’. No one trained me on my first amendment right and I use it all the time. So, let me keep my second amendment right so that I can always make sure you get to keep your first.

DTag

imported post

Here's what Anchor Baby had to say on that site...
A person choosing to be anti-gun is something a person can choose in a free society. They can even lobby to change laws. You have to respect that. Much like they must respect our ability to carry CC or OC as we wish as long as we do so in a legal manner.

Being flippant and saying you want antis to be taken out is counter productive to the cause as it brings emotion into the debate.

Let a person have their opinion about guns and recognize that they are entitled to that opinion - in our system of government the lobby with the most money and votes will get their way.

Personanly? I won’t be happy until the state government strips away VT and any other anti-gun school of their state funding until they either allow carry on campus or sign an agreement that they’ll be liable for any deaths that occur on campus as they’ve stripped away their students right to self defense.
I tend to agree with this.

zoom6zoom

imported post

what training do you have to go through to drive a car? My impression is not much. It is why I am always leery of staying in a setting with someone who is driving.