• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ravenna Giant Eagle- told to disarm...

Pauly

imported post

My wife and I drove to the local Giant bEagle to gather food for the week. She packed her .380 in her book bag like usual and I decided it was too hot for multiple shirts so I tucked my black t-shirt into my levis, slapped on my belt and OC'd my 9mm. I have only OC'd once before but was surprised at the lack of attention it brought upon me. Well, this time is different. We were just about finished and needed to pass through frozen foods on our way to the checkout lanes. I was approached by a middle aged male and he started in with the, "Are you a cop?" routine. I smiled and said, "No sir, I am not a police officer." He asked what my job title was. I responded and he asked what that had to do with carrying a gun. I replied that my job has nothing to do with my gun and I carry it to protect myself and my family. He said, "You cannot have that in here. We have a state liquor store in here." I stated that I realized there was a liquor store and I was heading that way. I tried to assure him I was in no way violating the law. He said that I needed to put it in my car. I responded with a firm, "No, I will not take off my gun." He said they were held up a while back and I was making people nervous. I didn't notice any nervous patrons but maybe I am oblivious?!? He also said I don't need the gun since they have security in the store. I replied to the effect that his security didn't stop the hold up so why should I trust them to keep me safe? He said that he insists I put it in my car. I said, "I have a permit to carry this firearm concealed. Would you be more comfortable if I cover it with my shirt? He responed with a firm, "No, I asked you to get it out of this store. What is your problem?" I asked him if he was the manager and he replied, "Yes." I found this odd since it was Sunday, he was wearing jeans and stocking frozen foods. I asked again, "Are you THE manager? He replied, "Yes!" "You are THE store manager and you are stocking groceries?" By this time he was so worked up you could see his elevated heart beat through the veins in his neck. This guy was scared stiff. So, much to my chagrin, I told him I would disarm and finish shopping. I am very disappointed in myself for doing so. As I walked past the customer service counter I asked the young lady behind the counter if "Doug T." was the store manager. She smiled and said, "No, sir. He isn't. Is there something wrong?" I smiled and said, "No, maam. May I please have the business card of your 'Real' store manager. She gave me a card and told me to have a nice day. I walked outside, opened my glove box, pulled down the magazine and unchambered my pistol. I put my mag in my pocked and locked the glove box and car. On my way back into the store my little 'manager' friend was telling his stock buddies about the guy he kicked out of the store. I walked up and interjected with a question. I asked him what his name was as I wanted to be sure I didn't file a complaint about the wrong employee. He said his name and gave me a really cocky smirk. I wanted to smack it off his face but I just said, "Thank you," and walked away. My wife said he was scaring her because she thought he was going to go for my gun. I didn't get this but she said he was acting awful strange and jittery. She asked me if I wanted to leave the groceries and just go somewhere else. I said that wasn't necessary as I am sure this will be resolved once I contact the District Manager. I am not about to stop shopping at the local store because 'Super Stock Boy' decided he didn't like my gun. I am going to go throught the proper channels and see what happens. If they tell me my gun is welcome but they'd rather I conceal then I will do just that. However, I will make sure management knows that a customer that spends thousands of dollars a year at their store was treated like a criminal buy some guy pretending to be the manager. (this whole thing still boggles my mind)

Just a quick note... This particular store is not posted for Open Carry or Conceal Carry. I was in violation of no law and was merely pushing the cart for my wife when I was 'accosted' by "Super Stock Boy."

I haven't contacted the DM yet as I wanted to be sure I was calm and collected beforehand. Even as I write this I am getting agitated. I was curious to know what you guys think I should do. I don't want to make a mockery of the whole OC community so I am very open to suggestions. I want to walk into that store and kick the shit out of that guy. But, I won't. I am going to bite my tongue and be the better man, take the high road.

Brian D.

imported post

I've had one encounter like that; the difference in my case was that I went ahead and filled up a shopping cart with the things I would have bought there, and pushed it up to the manager's office and showed him the size of the sale he just lost, along with any future business. Also gave him and asupervisor up the chain 'No Guns = No Money' cards when the opportunity presented itself.

rDigital

imported post

Go Pauly! I hope that we get to see the result in the form of a letter of apology from the DM. Let us know how it goes buddy! You did nothing wrong and even though some may think you should not have disarmed (myself included). I think that you may have also de-escalated a situation with a mentally imbalanced person by taking the actions that you did. There are many ways to look at it, but I'm still proud of you for exercising your rights.

Jacksnack

imported post

Make sure you follow up.

It is VERY important that we address these issues promptly. If we as gun owners ignore these ridiculous confrontations, it sends the message that we are not offended and allow such garbage.

:cuss:

Pauly

imported post

I finally got a call back from Corporate Friday night at almost 8 o'clock. I was unable to answer the call but the gentleman left a message stating he wishes to discuss my 'unfortunate confrontation' further. I will call back on Monday and let you guys know what comes of it.

Pauly

imported post

UPDATE!!!

I just got off the phone with the Director of Loss Prevention of my area's Giant Eagle stores. He was extremely concerned and apologetic about my incident. He did state he received quite a different story from the manager. I explained everything as I did above and he said they purposely did not post any stand alone Ohio stores as they try to mirror state law. He did not know that you don't need a permit to carry a gun openly in Ohio. Now he does and said he is going to draft a store wide memo on this issue and educate the managers. He said he will keep me posted and in the loop during the process as he wants to use my incident in particular. He told me that carrying a gun is my Constitutional Right and Giant Eagle will not be infringing on that right. I am very excited and actually shaking as I type this. I am very excited, indeed. I can't wait to tell the Mrs.

Looks like one more win for the good guys, eh mates?

Just want to say 'thanks' for the support and advice. This site simply rocks!!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Pauly wrote:
He said that he insists I put it in my car. . . . So, much to my chagrin, I told him I would disarm and finish shopping.
So, you caved in and rewarded his behavior - it would have been bettere to leave all the items.

Pauly

imported post

Mike wrote:
Pauly wrote:
He said that he insists I put it in my car. . . . So, much to my chagrin, I told him I would disarm and finish shopping.
So, you caved in and rewarded his behavior - it would have been bettere to leave all the items.

Yeah, did you read the part that states how angry at myself I was? I know I @#$%ed up, don't need somebody hundreds of miles away telling me how much of a wank I am. Besides, as a conceal carry permit holder I am obligated to de-escalate potentially dangerous situations. You weren't there and didn't get to see him twitch and shake like a crack addict. I didn't know if this guy was gonna' reach for my gun or not. I also know I wasn't about to spend 2 hours re-shopping at another store. I decided to take this through the proper channels and see what happened. So far everything has played in my favor. I am probably going to thank 'Doug T.' in person the next time I see him and let him know that if he hadn't been such a fiend about my gun he wouldn't have given the Director of Loss Prevention a reason to educate him on the topic. That should sit rather well.

MetalChris

imported post

Nice one Pauly! It's very refreshing (and equally rare these days) to see the corporate office of a company side with a gun owner.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Next grocery unrep... OC 'n check if Mr Super Stock Boy is still employed there. Harrasing customers is generally not tolerated. First off... he misrepresented himself as some 'authority'.Managers areusually identified with name tags. I would'a told him to take a hike and ignored him.

Bustelo5%

imported post

What is the contact for the Loss Prevention gentleman I would like to contact him for the waterloo store in firestone.

zack991

imported post

Brian D. wrote:
I've had one encounter like that; the difference in my case was that I went ahead and filled up a shopping cart with the things I would have bought there, and pushed it up to the manager's office and showed him the size of the sale he just lost, along with any future business. Also gave him and asupervisor up the chain 'No Guns = No Money' cards when the opportunity presented itself.
I have done this with a few stores in warren and I have gotten the contact info for the district managers to let them know of the troubling employee. Needless to say I have gotten several phone calls from the DM saying they were terribly sorry for the inconvenience and in a few occasion they fired the person who was falsifying the company's policy regarding weapon's in their store. If we STAND our ground and hit them hard in the pocket books and choose to shop else where, you will be surprised how far they will go to get you to return. If you hand them the NO Guns= NO money cards it make it clear with out having to say a single word.

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Next grocery unrep... OC 'n check if Mr Super Stock Boy is still employed there. Harrasing customers is generally not tolerated. First off... he misrepresented himself as some 'authority'.Managers areusually identified with name tags. I would'a told him to take a hike and ignored him.
G-E is a very pro union company and getting a person fired there can be very hard to do in most cases, they really have to be low on the ladder or have to screw up bad to get canned.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I called up the customer service goons for Giant Eagle and they said a loss prevention person would contact me about my bad experience.Its been 2 weeks.
But I pretty much doubt ill be shopping at giant eagle any more especially at a ****** up area called firestone,you dont have to worry about black dudes its those stupid white kids who think there all gansta. Come to my place in Kahlihi and try to mean mug a ton of people out there.idk it just makes me mad and makes america look bad.

ozone_00

imported post

You did nothing wrong. You must always respect the property of individuals and businessess. If a person asks you to disarm at their home or place of business/employment you should comply or leave without throwing a hissy fit. The right to keep and bear is superceded by private property rights. You did the right thing by verifying the employee's position and double checking the company's weapon policy. By going through the proper channels you have helped our cause greatly. Making a scene would have only hindered.

JSlack7851

imported post

Good job Pauly, selling booze and consuming booze it two different things. I wonder though if you had talked to the 'real' person in charge if it could of been handled locally. Good Job man!

Bustelo5%

imported post

I actually got a call from Rich Vogel from loss prevention of Giant Eagle I havent been able to speak to him but another gentleman has spoke with him.
So if any one has any probs with Giant Eagle and OC just ask their Manager to call Rich vogel and he will set them straight.