• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Some Clarification Please!

RL Phantom

imported post

I live in the town of Ivor, a lot of you will probably say, where is that? It is about 21 miles northwest of Downtown Suffolk on Highway 460. It seems that anywhere i go, people are saying you can't carry that here, and when i talk to them about it and inform them of what the laws are, they say okay, but you can't carry that here. I would like someone to give me a link, or just spell it out, WHERE CAN'T I CARRY. I would appreciate any and all help, and how the rules apply to places of business, and town municipal buildings, or town owned property. Thank you so much in advance.

Xeni

imported post

Simple answer is private property owners (or there agents, i.e. store manager, security guard, employee, etc.) can ask you to leave there property. Public property with only a few exemptions written into the law are all carry zones.

Look at it this way. Can anyone just walk into your home? Can you ask them to leave? They're personal property rights trump your 2nd Amendment rights.

-X

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here's a quick reference. There's a better one, but I'm in a time crunch and can't go searching for it right now.

Also, http://www.vcdl.org, then click on newsletter. In each issue is a handy reference card you can cut out.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hell, Ivor's only got 20 people in it (Not Counting Mr. T's Hunt Club):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What your running into, is culture clash. It's common in small towns and you need to understand the differences between country and city to understand the reaction your getting.

Small towns like Ivor just don't have a lot of crime. Everyone has a gun but they only carry it during hunting season or when they go to the city.
They see no reason to go around armed. There's a lot of sense in that...

City people don;t understand that. I had a member here ask me in a very snippy tone once "Just where do you think you don't need a gun". I don't argue about it anymore.

Now that I've said that, the fly in the ointment is that city crimes are going country and small town. Meth labs spring up, city people move to the country and have rotten kids, TV brings Gangs into your livingroom, etc....so

Smalltown USA isn't quite as safe as it used to be. Open carry where you can or want to and stick it in your pants everywhere else.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It might help if you told us WHERE you have been told tiyu can't carry. "EVERYWHERE" covers a lot of space.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RL Phantom wrote:
It seems that anywhere i go, people are saying you can't carry that here, and when i talk to them about it and inform them of what the laws are, they say okay, but you can't carry that here.
I hear you, but I'm puzzled.

I know where Ivor is, and occassionally pass thru there. I've stopped in at the gun shop you have in town, and at the gas station & convenience store, while OC-ing.

Could it be because I'm from out of town that nobody said anything to me? Could it be because I look like Santa with a gun?

As Peter Nap suggested, it might be because you are a local and you are running into the unspoken "It's safe here, you don't need to worry" culture of a small town. Try not to push back too hard, or you might find a "No Guns" sign suddenly showing up.

You might try a technique a friend of mine who lives out in the western boonies uses - act all surprised when they mention that you are OC-ing, and say you were out in the woods and guess you just forgot you had it on. It helps if you can pull that off with a straight face. The more they get used to seeing you, the better your chances of them finally leaving you alone.

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Skid makes a good point and I like the "In the woods" technique. You might want to pay attention to your appearance also. While Skidmark doesn't look like Santa to me, he does look honest and businesslike...more Burl Ives I think;)

I also don't know how you dress but a common problem goes like this. A fellow comes in and looks like he may steal something, they keep an eye on him (In case you didn't know it, everyone under 20 looks like they will steal something)

NOW....someone who looks like they will steal something comes in and they are wearing a gun.....panic!

Neplusultra

imported post

skidmark wrote:
RL Phantom wrote:
It seems that anywhere i go, people are saying you can't carry that here, and when i talk to them about it and inform them of what the laws are, they say okay, but you can't carry that here.
I hear you, but I'm puzzled.

I know where Ivor is, and occassionally pass thru there. I've stopped in at the gun shop you have in town, and at the gas station & convenience store, while OC-ing.

Could it be because I'm from out of town that nobody said anything to me? Could it be because I look like Santa with a gun?

As Peter Nap suggested, it might be because you are a local and you are running into the unspoken "It's safe here, you don't need to worry" culture of a small town. Try not to push back too hard, or you might find a "No Guns" sign suddenly showing up.

You might try a technique a friend of mine who lives out in the western boonies uses - act all surprised when they mention that you are OC-ing, and say you were out in the woods and guess you just forgot you had it on. It helps if you can pull that off with a straight face. The more they get used to seeing you, the better your chances of them finally leaving you alone.

stay safe.

skidmark
Yep, my usual reply is that I have *no* expectation of being involved in a crime wherein I need a gun. But that I feel a civic duty to carry since there *will* be a crime somewhere and if enough people carried *someone* would be nearby to help the poor citizen. I reiterate that I doubt I will be that person but you never know :^)....

CountyFF604

imported post

RL,

I live in Ivor and OC quite often. I have never had anyone question me. Where have you been that people have stoped you?

Update:

I OC'd in town all day Friday and went into several stores. Had no odd looks or questions asked.

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
imported post

I agree with the comment that city crimes are coming to the country.I live in Zuni (5 milesup the road from Ivor,and even smaller)Lots of city folks(come 'eres),bringing rotten and stupid ideas with them not to mention their kids.IveOCed in windsor,zuni,and ivor and no problems.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
I agree with the comment that city crimes are coming to the country.I live in Zuni (5 milesup the road from Ivor,and even smaller)Lots of city folks(come 'eres),bringing rotten and stupid ideas with them not to mention their kids.IveOCed in windsor,zuni,and ivor and no problems.
I didn't realize there were that many Ivorish people here:D

I got my new Great Dane pup from a lady in Ivor, right next to Mr. T's
114.jpg

We are storm spotters for NOAA and do our training at the Wakefield weather service office most of the time. I always OC to the office (Not in since it's Federal) and never had an eyebrow raised.
Not even at the Va diner when it was full of tourists.