• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

4 Teens Accused Of Beating, Robbing Man In Mall Parking Lot

echo6tango

imported post

Maybe the thugs in Maryland are running out of people to rob and shoot in the Maryland suburbs since the law-abiding folks have to hide in their homes (only place to legally possess the means of self-defense for "regular" citizens). Ido apologize thatthe sorry state of affairs is spilling over into Virginia though. Isn't Springfield Mall posted "Please Do Not Rob Customers?"

SPRINGFIELD, Va. -- Four teens from Oxon Hill have been accused of beating and robbing a man Friday in the Springfield Mall parking lot.

The teens followed the Alexandria-area man to his car at about 8:30 p.m., police said.

After a brief confrontation, the teens punched the victim, produced a gun and demanded his money and belongings, police said. The attackers took the items and fled.

The victim located a police officer, who coordinated a search which resulted in the arrests. The victim was taken to the Franconia District Police Station, where he was treated by medical personnel for non-life-threatening injuries.

Police charged each of the teens with robbery and use of a firearm in commission of a felony. The teens have been identified as Askia Cuff, 19; Robert Ramsey, 19; Roderick Ramsey, 18, and a 14-year-old whose identify has not been released.

The suspects were taken to the Fairfax Adult Detention Center and the Fairfax Juvenile Detention Center. Detectives said they do not believe the robbery is gang-related.

http://www.nbc4.com/news/17014443/detail.html

Virginiaplanter

imported post

That's interesting because I open carried there on Saturday and I saw no signs posted about firearms or anything else for that matter. Didn't get hassled, but did get a good stare at my gun from one of the salespeople.

I would imagine it would be illegal for them to make it unlawful to carry there since at the entrance I went in there is a DMV Location and the State cannot deprive people of their constitutional rights either outright or by lease or third party lease. Tate v. Department of Conservation and Development 133 F. Supp. 53 (E.D. 1955).

curtiswr

imported post

I found that information via the VCDL website, and it doesn't make any mention of it being actually posted, so it may not be. There might be a rules list posted in a corridor to a restroom or something, as it was* in Lynchburg's River Ridge Mall. But still, even if so it would not be on an entrance or somewhere that you would necessarily have to pass through.

*Not sure if it is still there; I haven't been there in several years.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
as it was* in Lynchburg's River Ridge Mall

Still is: http://www.shopriverridgemall.com/shop/riverridge.nsf/security

welcome
In order to help ensure a pleasant shopping environment, we ask all visitors to refrain from the following:

20. Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind except those carried by certified law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties.

curtiswr

imported post

The question is though... being posted in a hallway that patrons may or may not go down and not on entrances where all patrons would have to pass through does it work the same? Could you only be asked to leave as it wasn't posted in common observation :)lol:) or could you right away be charged with trespassing?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It was debated hotly when Leo229 was here, but I believe that they must ask you to leave first even if it is posted, especially since there's no standard requirements for posting in Virginia. Posting just saves me the trouble of having to be asked. I don't look for confrontations so I don't want to go anywhere where I'm not wanted.

INAL

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yet another group of 4+ beating and robbing someone:shock: ... damn, I gotta start carrying more ammo when I go to the city!

I love how the police always say it isn't gang related. By gang they obviously mean a formal gang recognized by the gov't. Even our criminals aren't really proper criminals until properly labeled as such by the gov't. I swear, in 10 years the gov't will be licensing criminals, giving them admission quotas and confiscating their income. It will be only fair when the douches have to hang OSHA and EEOC posters in their hideouts and clubhouses.

I would say that 4+ people working in concert to go around beating up people and steal from them would be a gang. A 100 years ago in this country we certainly called that a gang. But then again, 100 years ago we would have gotten together a posse of LAC to hunt down a criminal gang and if they resisted we shot 'em dead, which is why we didn't have as much of this crap going on back then.

bayboy42

imported post

asforme wrote:
It was debated hotly when Leo229 was here, but I believe that they must ask you to leave first even if it is posted, especially since there's no standard requirements for posting in Virginia. Posting just saves me the trouble of having to be asked. I don't look for confrontations so I don't want to go anywhere where I'm not wanted.

INAL
You better hope he ain't monitoring these posts....cause that one will get him all fired up;)

XD Owner

imported post

This is why Virginia needs to pass a GFZLA (Gun Free Zone Liability Act) making the property owner who posts his property as Gun Free LIABLE for your safety and security since the owner has stripped you of your self-protection.

Property owners can still post Gun Free Zone Signs, BUT they will now be responsible for protecting you, and failing to protect you will have serious financial repercussions for Mr. No Guns In My Shopping Mall, Store, Parking Lot, etc. No more "you cannot have your protective equipment and we are not responsible for your safety."

Doesn't cost the state anything either (unless the law applies to gov't property...like Virginia Tech.)

Let's write our state legislators!

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It was verified they are not gang members.
Each defendant was asked point blank if he'd like to be charged as part of criminal entrprise and they all said "No".
So there you go, no gangs here, no siree.

DocDaddy

imported post

"In order to help ensure a pleasant shopping environment, we ask all visitors to refrain from the following: rule #1, rule #2, rule #3... Blah Blah Blah"

Now does that key term mean "shall/try not to do" or "do not do"? In my misconstrued mind... I take it as 'please refrain/try not to do these things to ensure a pleasant shopping environment, Not 'please don't do these things...'

On a side note: The ruleI like best is rule #24, it says No fishing, swimming, or boating without prior written approval of shopping center management.
Now I looked on Mapquest and Google in aerial view... and I could not find a body of water large enough to boat in... or for that matter any form of water/pond at all to swim or fish in. How did that one come about??? Do they have a lake/river inside big enough to fish/swim/boat in???

ThunderRanch

imported post

asforme wrote:
curtiswr wrote:

welcome
In order to help ensure a pleasant shopping environment, we ask all visitors to refrain from the following:

20. Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind except those carried by certified law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties.

This whole story must have been fabricated. Rule #2 would certainly have prevented it!:p

welcome

2. Violence, threats of violence, fighting, physical abuse or physically or verbally threatening any person, or hostility of any kind.

I wonder how this disclaimer at the bottom of the "Code of conduct" could be used in our favor?

This “Behavioral Code of Conduct” is not intended to deprive any person of their applicable civil rights or liberties under the law.

sccrref

imported post

asforme wrote:
curtiswr wrote:

welcome

Itake this to mean that if I know LEOs carry a Glock 19, then I can carry one as well. Maybe it is just me and my "conservative nut job"slant on things.

sccrref

imported post

ThunderRanch wrote:
asforme wrote:
curtiswr wrote:

welcome

This whole story must have been fabricated. Rule #2 would certainly have prevented it!:p

welcome

2. Violence, threats of violence, fighting, physical abuse or physically or verbally threatening any person, or hostility of any kind.

I wonder how this disclaimer at the bottom of the "Code of conduct" could be used in our favor?

This “Behavioral Code of Conduct” is not intended to deprive any person of their applicable civil rights or liberties under the law.
I may be playing the devil's advocate here but this did not take place in the mall where the signs are posted. It went down in the parking lot. Does anyone know if the parking lot was posted? If so, then I agree that this just could not have happened as there are signs stating that that type of behavior is not allowed.

nova

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
It was verified they are not gang members.
Each defendant was asked point blank if he'd like to be charged as part of criminal entrprise and they all said "No".
So there you go, no gangs here, no siree.

I know...just pointing out that Fairfax Co. is reluctant to admit its gang problem. Well, mainly FCPS is reluctant.

Since we're talking about springfield, I did see an unmarked FXPD gang unit car parked along the side of the Franconia-Springfield Pkwy, and the officer was taking pictures of some gang graffiti on a fense alongside the road. MS13 it was.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Springfield Crime wave:

This happened last night:

SPRINGFIELD -- Fairfax County police are searching for two men suspected of robbing and beating a man and then tying him to a tree in Springfield.
Authorities say the man had been tied to the tree in Accotink Park for about four hours when neighbors heard him yelling for help at about 3 a.m. today and called police.
The 34-year-old Annandale man told police he was tied up by two strangers who had dinner with him last night.
Police say that after eating dinner, the men struck the victim and pulled out a gun before robbing him of his wallet and other belongings, including a cell phone.
-- The Associated Press

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-07-30-0217.html