• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle Carry

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Greetings, folks...

Possibly going to be coming into NoVA for the Regional Gathering -- what's the deal with vehicle carry? Is it lawful/legal to carry a holstered weapon and have that considered to be 'open carry'? Here in Delaware, we need to have the weapon on the passenger seat or on the dash, so I wanted to make sure I knew what was what while carrying in the car.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

ed wrote:
Seat, Dash or holstered in plain view should be fine in VA
That's my worry -- center console would probably obscure it if they came from the passenger window. That kosher?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Wynder wrote:
ed wrote:
That's my worry -- center console would probably obscure it if they came from the passenger window. That kosher?

I am not a lawyer.. Yer Mileage may vary and all the other disclaimers..

I have never had a problem open carrying. Virginia is a GOLD STAR OC state.. hundreds of us carry all the time all over the state and our law enforcement is pretty well informed. You could also plan your words in case you are stopped..

LEO - "Hi License and Registration Please?"

ME - "Sure thing officer.. but before I reach for anything.. I want to inform you that I am Openly Carrying a Firearm and it is holstered on my right hip... How would you like me to proceed so that we both feel safe?"

(Usually.. you will get something like "Ok.. thanks for telling me.. just slow it down a bit.. and have a nice day")

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wynder wrote:
ed wrote:

Your center console also obscures it if they come up on the driver's side.

The wonderful thing about Virginia is that wearing it on your belt is generally considered Open Carry whether you are walking about town, driving, or seated in a restaurant/coffe shop/wherever. :celebrate Even IWB is generally considered Open Carry if the stocks are visible. :what:

Hope to meet you in Leesburg. Just wait till we tell you what we have to go through to get a Concealed Handgun Permit. :D

stay safe. Keerp Virginia Green - bring cash.

skidmark

PS - Guides will be available for OC expeditions to Wal-Mart after the meet-up. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/730330-post50.html

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Just wait till we tell you what we have to go through to get a Concealed Handgun Permit. :D
I can guarantee you it's not as bad as Delaware -- and that's outside of us being a may issue state. ;)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wynder wrote:
skidmark wrote:
Just wait till we tell you what we have to go through to get a Concealed Handgun Permit. :D
I can guarantee you it's not as bad as Delaware -- and that's outside of us being a may issue state. ;)

Yep! Basically show up with $50 in hand and some proof of some training (Hunter safety class which does not even discuss handguns, qualifies :shock:). May have to do fingerprints, depending on the locality. Where is the :neener: smiley when you need it?

BTW, what the heck is a "Prothonotary"?

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

OC is supposed to be in the eye of the beholder but for all good purposes they would have to do a 360 degree walk around to see my weapon - might not even then!

Example: seated in a restuarant booth w/strong side to the wall, seated in my vehicle w/door closed on one side and high console on the other.

In both cases the weapon is readily identifiable as such and is not considered hidden from common view.

There is also no requirement in Virginia to notify LE when stopped. You may or not do so as you wish.

Yata hey

xd.40

imported post

Grapeshot wrote: (snip)
There is also no requirement in Virginia to notify LE when stopped. You may or not do so as you wish.

Yata hey
I have had very good encounters when I notify, even though I am not required to...

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

skidmark wrote:
BTW, what the heck is a "Prothonotary"?

stay safe.

skidmark
Skid,

The prothonotary is the chief court clerk in certain courts of law in certain Anglo-American jurisdictions -- like Delaware and Pennsylvania. According to the wiki, U.S. President Harry S. Truman was introduced to a prothonotary during a campaign stop in Pittsburgh in 1948. It is widely rumored that Truman's first reaction upon hearing the term "prothonotary" was to say "What the hell is a prothonotary?" Truman is also attributed with saying that "prothonotary" was the most impressive-sounding political title in the U.S.

Meh. To me, it someone I go and pay money to when I want to renew my CCDW License. :)