• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texan may be coming home and has a few questions on gun laws

RIAShooter

imported post

I was born and raised in Texas and moved to Kentucky about 10 years ago, but it looks like I got a great job opportunity in Austin, I was wondering a few things,

1.) Would my ccw be good in Texas? I probably will still remain a Kentucky resident until I see how this job pans out, and I'm pretty sure Texas reciprocates Kentucky licenses.

2.) What are the laws concerned with transporting a weapon in a vehicle in Tx?

3.) What are Tx laws concerning assualt rifles?

4.) And last but most important, How close are ya'll coming to getting OC RIGHTS? Is the petition going to get this issue on a ballot? What's the deal?

rodbender

imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
I was born and raised in Texas and moved to Kentucky about 10 years ago, but it looks like I got a great job opportunity in Austin, I was wondering a few things,

1.) Would my ccw be good in Texas? I probably will still remain a Kentucky resident until I see how this job pans out, and I'm pretty sure Texas reciprocates Kentucky licenses.

4.) And last but most important, How close are ya'll coming to getting OC RIGHTS? Is the petition going to get this issue on a ballot? What's the deal?

I'm fairly certain your ccw is good here. You can't print or show your weapon in any way. Can't take it to certain places. Check the law.In your vehicle it must remain concealed and if you walk into a place and you see a big red 51 on a sign, or a 30.06 sign you must leave immediately. The big red 51 means that they get 51% or moreof their revenue from the sale of alcoholic beverages and the 30.06 sign must bein both english and spanish andbasically means they are dumba$$e$ and don't want you toting in their place. You must let an LEO knowthat you have achlASAP if you are stopped and he has the right to disarm you until the stop is over. Check theDPS website to see where it is not legal to carry. It's churches, courthouses, post offices, all the usual places that you would probably need it the most.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf

Added the link to their webpage in pdf format, you can look through it to find what you need to know.

Open carry may be a while off. We are going to go for it for the first time this next session that starts in January.

Bring all the assault rifles you want.

Nope to the ballot, we don't have the right of referendum here. We have to sweet talk 'em into passing legislation.It's just to get their attention, we hope.

KBCraig

imported post

RIAShooter wrote:

1. Yes, but Texas police tend to crack down on not having a Texas DL with your current address if you've lived here for 30 days or more. You need to either make sure your KY address is still good (i.e., you can receive mail there) so that you're just "temporarily working" in Texas instead of residing here; or, get your Texas DL and get your KY CCW addressed changed to match it.

2. Long guns are okay open or concealed, loaded or not. Handguns can be legally carried in the car, loaded or not, without a license so long as they're concealed.

3. There's no such thing as an "assault rifle" in Texas. Just "rifles".

4. There is no ballot initiative in Texas. The petition is just a way to let our legislators know what we want. We face a struggle here, because many "gun people" are afraid to rock the boat with a call for OC. There are a number of concealed carry issues that they want to fix (schools, parking lots, etc.), and there's a limited amount of time to work on those.

RIAShooter

imported post

Ha ha so I can have my evil black rifle that holds 25 rounds of 6.8 caliber ammunition but I had better not have a peashooter cause that would make me dangerous?

rodbender

imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
Ha ha so I can have my evil black rifle that holds 25 rounds of 6.8 caliber ammunition but I had better not have a peashooter cause that would make me dangerous?
Now you've just about got it figured out. Keep thinking.