• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can non-residents open carry

joeywil

imported post

Hi, I live in the communist dictatorship/tyrannical regime/gulag of Chicago (where only those who make the laws to banfirearms can have access to them), and am wondering if while vacationing in Wisconsin I can legally adorn myself with my finely manufactured and maintained Detonics, she's tired of always having to be hidden away :D

Thanks.

Teej

imported post

Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer.

Legally, yes.

Except:

- anywhere that serves alcohol for on-premise consumption

- government buildings

- "knowingly" within 1000' of the property boundaries of a school that covers any grades 1-12.

- in/on a motor vehicle.

In any of the above situations, you'll be in violation if the firearm is not unloaded and "fully encased".

On a more practical level, you could be in for harassment. Some law enforcement personnel are either uninformed that open carry is legal, or don't like it and will harass you any way they can. or both.

Here are some excerpts from our state'scongressional "legislative review board".

Carrying Firearms in Public. Wisconsin law does not specifically prohibit the open carrying
of loaded or unloaded firearms in public, but a person doing so may risk being arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, on the grounds that the display threatens the public peace or safety.
Act 72 invalidated existing local controls on the purchase, possession, and use of handguns
in municipalities around the state, including ordinances in Eau Claire, Green Bay, La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Stevens Point, Superior, and Wausau.

I personally would not be surprised if you were detained and possibly even arrested. Irather doubt charges would actually be filed and Ireally doubt you'd be convicted short ofa confession/plea bargain.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Teej wrote:
Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer.

Legally, yes.

Except:

- anywhere that serves alcohol for on-premise consumption

- government buildings

- "knowingly" within 1000' of the property boundaries of a school that covers any grades 1-12.

- in/on a motor vehicle.

In any of the above situations, you'll be in violation if the firearm is not unloaded and "fully encased".

On a more practical level, you could be in for harassment. Some law enforcement personnel are either uninformed that open carry is legal, or don't like it and will harass you any way they can. or both.

Here are some excerpts from our state'scongressional "legislative review board".

Carrying Firearms in Public. Wisconsin law does not specifically prohibit the open carrying
of loaded or unloaded firearms in public, but a person doing so may risk being arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, on the grounds that the display threatens the public peace or safety.
Act 72 invalidated existing local controls on the purchase, possession, and use of handguns
in municipalities around the state, including ordinances in Eau Claire, Green Bay, La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Stevens Point, Superior, and Wausau.

I personally would not be surprised if you were detained and possibly even arrested. Irather doubt charges would actually be filed and Ireally doubt you'd be convicted short ofa confession/plea bargain.
Almost correct. Generally you cannot possess even an "encased and unloaded" firearm inside a government building.