• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driving to Connecticut

curtiswr

imported post

I do not yet have a safe and am not comfortable leaving them in the apartment for the duration of our trip to Connecticut. We will be driving up. I plan to have them separate from any ammo, if I even take any ammo, in a locked range bag (that if big enough, I might use for all of my clothes/etc..) with the cable locks on both of them. I don't plan on OCing in any of the states we pass through on the way up, nor in CT once I get there, just out of sheer nervousness and unfamiliarity with their laws.

Is my method of storage while travel acceptable? Is there anything I should know about or plan into my trip to accomodate for having the pistols with me?

mercutio545

imported post

§926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Keep them unloaded in the trunk and you should be good to go. If you don't have a trunk, then you might want to get a lockable container, and put it as far away from your reach as possible.

curtiswr

imported post

Ah thanks, I was trying to look at individual states' laws and didn't check the US Code. Now the other thing. In order to be in compliance with that do I need to hold a Virginia CHP ? I don't see why I would but you never know and I'm going off of the "there are no stupid questions" axiom so as to prepare myself and quell my nervousness. :lol:

Hef

imported post

Possession of a handgun in CT by a non-resident is prohibited by law, unless that person holds a valid CT non-res pistol permit. Without that permit, you cannot legally bring a gun into the state.

The 926A provision does not protect your possession of a firearm in a given state if that state is your destination and it is not legal for you to possess it there. It only applies to states you are traveling through.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The other problem with "Peaceable Journey" lawis that if you make a stop in one of the intervening states that someone there does not see as being part of your continuing travel, you are screwed. As an example, stopping to fuel your vehicle would be incidental to your journey, but going inside to pay and pick up a candy bar or soda(as opposed to paying at the pump)would not - and you are now a felon in New Jersey (to name just one place where this has happened).

Since you do not yet have a "safe" you need a trusted friend or a shoebox-sized safety deposit box at your bank. Or a small box at one of the commercial storage places, and insurance on the contents. Problem there is if you go thru the storage place for insurance you are advertising that there is something of value.

You need a good friend. Yep! That's what you need.

stay safe.

skidmark

curtiswr

imported post

Ah okay. I might make a stop in Northern Virginia and drop it off with my girlfriend's parents, if I go.

But as it turns out I might not go because of health and the doc wants to see me next week. :banghead:

Tralpat

imported post

skidmark wrote:
The other problem with "Peaceable Journey" lawis that if you make a stop in one of the intervening states that someone there does not see as being part of your continuing travel, you are screwed. As an example, stopping to fuel your vehicle would be incidental to your journey, but going inside to pay and pick up a candy bar or soda (as opposed to paying at the pump)would not - and you are now a felon in New Jersey (to name just one place where this has happened).

New York as well. My parents live in NY and I have been looking to visit. For the reasons stated above, I will be leaving my pistol here.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If I recall Connecticut offers a license to carry to residents and non-residents alike. Although you'll jump through more hoops than with a VA concealed handgun permit, I don't know that they are all that difficult to obtain. The NRA lists Connecticut as a reasonable may-issue state for concealed carry permits. With a bit of planning aheadthis may be an option for you.

http://www.state.ct.us/dps/slfu/index.html

Hef

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
If I recall Connecticut offers a license to carry to residents and non-residents alike. Although you'll jump through more hoops than with a VA concealed handgun permit, I don't know that they are all that difficult to obtain. The NRA lists Connecticut as a reasonable may-issue state for concealed carry permits. With a bit of planning aheadthis may be an option for you.

http://www.state.ct.us/dps/slfu/index.html
I've got a CT non-res permit myself. It takes 8-12 weeks to get by mail. It isn't hard to get at all.